Thread: Deer hunting-Montague or Kodiak?

Default Deer hunting-Montague or Kodiak?

My buddy and I won't be able to do our annual moose hunt next year as my partner picked up a job as an assistant football coach at Eagle River High so we're planning on hunting deer sometime in November '09.

Natron does Montague flyouts for $850 and we're trying to get an idea of what it would cost to hunt SW Kodiak (or other parts?) and possibly do a boat based hunt. I figure Kodiak may offer the best opportunity (better deer hunting and less forest), but neither of us has hunted or knows much about deer hunting Kodiak.

Any suggestions for boat based hunts or DIY deer hunts (staying at a lodge, in a public cabin, or a tent)? Trying to do some homework...

Thanks for the help....

Tim

I don't know how much you are willing to spend, but the boat based hunts cost a lot more than the $850 to fly to Montague. I imagine that a boat based hunt over in Kodiak would be a better time then flying to Montague, but also the limit this year was 3 on kodiak and 5 in the sound, not sure what the limits will be next year.

My buddy mentioned a $2200 charter (can't remember the name) but that seems a little steep considering airfare to Kodiak too. I'd rather put in for '10 fall brownie tags and hunt a bear/deer combo (or deer only) if we don't draw. I'd imagine there must be more affordable boat based hunts though. To me, $850 is hard to beat, even if we have to hunt harder.

Tim

If you are spending $850 each you can probably hunt Kodiak cheaper. I didn't fly far, but I got a whole Beaver load for $1000 with Seahawk Air out of Kodiak. I bet they could get you into a further distance for less than $850 each. This all hinges on whether you can get to Kodiak on airline miles or you have to pay to fly to Kodiak.

Where is Natron going to drop you? Cabin reservations HAVE to be made within 180 days on the Forest Service cabins and it's a crap shoot if you can get one. If you go to Beach River you are going to need permits from Chugach to hunt there.

I much preferred my Kodiak hunt over my Montague hunt.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Kodiak

I've hunted both extensively and taken many deer in both locations. Go to the Sound if you are time constrained - there are boat charters available that will do drops as well as live-aboard. If you are not time constrained then go to Kodiak. Even with the lower limit it is a better hunt and you will see more and larger bucks. Don't choose the Sound because you might save $250 - Kodiak is the place to go for good bucks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hinchenbrook..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Both times I have been to Kodiak it was possible to just go for bucks. I have never been able to do that on Montague. Lots (tons) of deer on Montague but the biggest buck I have seen there would be just above average for the ones on Kodiak.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default deer

From what I have heard, and seen, on one hunt last fall, the numbers on Montague are really down from what they were a few years ago. I would check with the biologist from Cordova and get other input before considering that right now.

I'd wait to see how much snow we get this winter
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Logistically Kodiak seems a little harder to coordinate-commercial flight, charter, etc... I know cabins (in PWS) need to be reserved 6 months out, don't know what the possibilities of that are though.

Any boat charter recommendations for either location-PWS or Kodiak?

Tim

I think Kodiak Combo runs a marine based deer hunting op maybe talk to him?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

logisticly kodiak is a piece of cake...the air taxi's in kodiak pick you up at the airport, run you around for food and tags, take you wherever you wanna go, hotels, bar whatever. kodiak is user friendly.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Done both. Kodiak is the way to go.

Kodiak would be my choice. Went to montague two seasons ago and the deer numbers were pretty abysmal. Last winter there was a ton of snow out that way. So numbers probably arent any better.

Kodiak also has way better qaulity deer. Your chances of getting a big buck winner for boondocks is pretty good.

Couple that with being able to get some nice foxes too.

You got time to save up to spend some extra coin for kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    logisticly kodiak is a piece of cake...the air taxi's in kodiak pick you up at the airport, run you around for food and tags, take you wherever you wanna go, hotels, bar whatever. kodiak is user friendly.
    Good to know. I figured Kodiak would be a pain as far as getting around. Anyone used a boat based charter out there?

Tim

boat based charters, the big ones anyway, really hammer some areas, if you want to get into deer and really hunt them, you've gotta fly in set up a camp and get to know the area. You'll get bigger bucks if you hunt the same ground over and over rather than running around and "blind piggin'" them. (blind pig gets an acorn every now and then too...)
    Kodiakcombo has a sweet set up for deer where he and and the island he hunts has some better weather, resulting in better deer. and i think its fair to say he knows the area. But i'd steer clear of the party boats with 6 guys or more on it, less you know all of them and are just out hunting for kicks and grins.
    Take the ferry to kodiak for 380 bucks round trip and have your own wheels, bring all the food and gear you want, sleep in the truck, bring back all your meat for no extra costs, fly out for 1200 bucks in a beaver. plenty of room for two guys gear and all your deer and go home on the ferry. walla a hunt with two guys for 1000 per person...pretty straight forward.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Brownbear I like the way you think, maybe you can show a newbie.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Take the ferry to kodiak for 380 bucks round trip and have your own wheels, bring all the food and gear you want, sleep in the truck, bring back all your meat for no extra costs, fly out for 1200 bucks in a beaver. plenty of room for two guys gear and all your deer and go home on the ferry. walla a hunt with two guys for 1000 per person...pretty straight forward.
    Is it possible to hunt from the road system like it sounds you're suggesting?

Tim

It's possible, but the deer limits are low. I think it's just one buck for most of the season. The other problem is that a huge portion of the road system is now locked up in Native lands with either none or an expensive permit to hunt.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Kodiak Combo

This is a DIY I'm a licensed transporter. Been living here all my life minus 4 years in the Corp. I hunt and fish year round.

We hunt out of a vilage on the eastside of Kodiak (sunny side) we have acess to over 77,000 acres of private land with a $100 each landuse fee, you stay in a dry lodge with your hot shower and meals catered to you.

Hunting is out and back to the village everyday via a fast safe Seasport with a volvo diesel. We raft to shore in a Zodiac with a 8hp. $1500 a day divide that by four hunters $375 each. This is a special for Nov09

When we get back to the village each deer can be processed to any stage, skinned, butchered, stewed, steaked, vacuum packed, boxed for $400 each deer.

Airfare from Kodiak to Old Harbor is $90 OW via mail plane

I recommend a 4 day trip Monday-Friday

visit my website for references at www.kodiakcombos.com

thanks for the plug BRNBR, deer are all over the place, most up on the hills but some on the beach, looks like a little more than last season.