Thread: Cantwell-where to stay and ride?

Default Cantwell-where to stay and ride?

I'd like to ride Cantwell sometime this winter. Where can I stay and what will it cost? Are there any trails around? My youngest is rolling the A/C 120, not exactly power-doggin' it. Could possibly be rolling without the kids in January if there aren't good trails around.

67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson

Default Places

Not sure about pricing and such, but I found this link that might help. It might at least give you some phone numbers to try out. I bet the prices are excellent in the winter if they are open!

I could be wrong, but I believe the Curry Ridge Riders have a ton of nice trails south of Cantwell a little ways. I hear they are really fixing up some great trails.

Good Luck!

Experience Real Alaska!

Default A couple options right IN Cantwell

Well with the classy establishment of the "Cantwell Longhorn" closing its doors this summer really the only game left in town that I know of for sure is the Backwoods Lodge.

I'm not 100% sure if the Denali Manor still has its doors open in the winter still or not, but it is another option. Both places are very close the Parks/Denali Hwy junction.

Hope this helps.

I have stayed at the backwoods lodge. They are very nice people, and the rooms are nice too, as well as reasonably priced.

I give the backwoods lodge a thumbs up. Wife and I stayed there back in November. Nice people and place. I think it ran 95 bucks. We accessed the trails about 20 miles south, about 2 miles south of the igloo. I would think the 120 would be alright until you hit the mountains. Hope this helps.
    Henry Bowman for President

There is an easy trail just south of the Igloo that goes west from there. There is a pullout there. It goes in crosses the railroad then heads out to the Chulitna River. I took my son there a couple times on his 120. Eureka was still the best place to take my kid on his 120, though. I'm sure glad all my kids are on 340's on up..that was an agonizing period with them on 120's
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem