Thread: 280 vs 280 ackly????

Default 280 vs 280 ackly????

I found a nice mauser 98 action with unchambered 7mm barrel and am trying to decide what to do with it. I think it is an argentina mauser and I'm not sure of the barrel make but it is a nice light contour. I'm either going to have it blued go 280 and drop it into a nice wood stock topped with a leupold vxII 2-7 and make a gift to my dad out of it or go 280 ackly, have it parkerized and drop it into a b&C carbelite and keep it. The second way will probably be cheaper in the long run.

How does the 280 compare to the 280 ackly is it worth the effort or just slightly higher numbers on a ballistic readout. What do you guys think?

have the gun rag around here somewheres..mmmh oh well it was an article on the 280AI--now commercialized. Mulled the same cartridge as you are doing. Since it is ammo over the counter it maybe a good thing. The only AI I have is in the .30-30AI, very good round, only nuisance I have with it is fireforming.

I believe the only M98 made for high press. rounds should be carburized-PacMet done one of mine. Some say the VZ24's don't and the one I have rebuilt into a 9.3x62 was never done-heat treated that is.

merry christmas!

my .280 ai will crono at honest 7mag numbers up to the 150gr bullet. i prefer barnes x (tsx also) but others work well too. powder capacity is the limiting factor on long or heavy bullets.

try 61.5 gr aac-3100 with the 140gr bullet. crono's @ 3132fps.
    or 60.5 gr h-4831 with the 150 gr bullet. crono's @ 3076 fps. these are warm (but safe) loads in my remington 700 with 25" #4 fluted lilja barrel.

great caliber--highly recommended!

happy trails.
    jh

Cost of dies for the 280 AI are breath-taking, or I am just seriously cheap. I had one, neck sized using 7 mag dies but when using max loads, needed to size the body but couldn't. Rechambered it to a 7 mag and all is good. If a person could get AI dies for a reasonable price, I would have one. Good luck. J.

midway lists redding dies for $57. hornady for $67. with a little care they will last for about as long as you want to shoot.

the difference in magnum brass will pay for them in no time!

happy trails.
    jh

Josh, you know I have a .280AI and think highly of it. Don't overlook the coolness factor of the AI case.