Thread: Videos, videocamera, and moviemaker

Default Videos, videocamera, and moviemaker

Well, I'm about to throw the video camera out the window and forget about it !

I bought a camera because:

I want to take videos (my kids are 10, 9, and 5).

I want to edit and copy the videos to send to my brothers (Hawaii and Alaska) and my parents (very far away).

So, I bought a Panasonic VDR-D210 DVD Video Camera.

I take a video (17 minutes of a blond phase black bear eating acorns in the wild) and try and put it on windows moviemaker..... 4 days and countless hours later and I'm fuming

I call Panasonic and ask them what I need to do and they say I needed to buy the VDR-D310 and it comes with editing software; and the 210 I can't do ANY of that with.....

Now there are millions of videos on youtube etc and there must be a way to do this with my camera. I would like to share some things I've done with family but I'm totally at a loss.

The format for DVD RAM is "VR format".
    The format for DVD RW is "VR format" or "Video format".

I've never tried DVD RW discs, only RAM in VR format.

I'm hoping someone is the guru who knows exactly what I need to do...

Right now I have a camera that only allows discs to be watched on the DVD player after I finalize the disk. No music, no editing, etc.

Thank you for reading this and please post any thoughts / ideas.

KRS

Here are the files shown on a disk I record.

The files are:

video_ts.bup
    video_ts.ifo
    video_ts.vob
    vts_01_0.bup
    vts_01_0.ifo
    and other .vob, .ifo., and .bup files.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I probably won't be much help ( I shoot mini dv tape), but I have a question about you finalizing the disc. Did you try to get it into movie maker before or after you finalized it?

The reason I'm asking is because according to some info I read, your camera records in mpeg2, which is a format that is written to dvd. But I think you should be able to get mpeg into movie maker. Not real sure about that, but I would think you could.

Those files you have are how a burned dvd looks, the video_ts, etc.

There is software that can be used to convert the vob files and all that to an editable format. I use a mac, so I don't know what works with windoze.

FWIW, the dvd camcorders are probably the least user friendly for editing. They're geared more towards folks who want to shoot video and play it on the tv.

Hopefully someone here has a dvd cam and can help. I'll look around and see what I can find out.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I only put it in the computer after I finalized it.

The manual said several times that attempting to read the disk in anything other than the camera prior to finalizing it could harm the data on the disk.

KRS

I was hoping someone else had the same issues; maybe everyone takes still pictures or has nicer video equipment

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    I only put it in the computer after I finalized it.

The manual said several times that attempting to read the disk in anything other than the camera prior to finalizing it could harm the data on the disk.

KRS
    I can't speak directly to your camera issues, but putting the non-finalized dvd into your computer will not "harm the data" as long as you do not have another active disk type of software on your computer that autoruns. If, when you put in a disk, the computer always asks you what you want to do with it, then you will be safe. Put in the disk and select "view folders" and you should be able to see what is there prior to the finalizing process. That doesn't mean you'll be able to read or use any of that data, but you'll at least see what is there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!