Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes TSX recovered bullet pictures

Default Barnes TSX recovered bullet pictures

Here are a few pics of barnes tsx bullets recovered from moose.
    338 WIN 225GR TSX.jpg
    308 Win 165gr TSX.jpg

The top is a 338 win mag 225 gr tsx. hit the moose in ribs. Recovered in front shoulder under hide. Shot was about 50 yards. recovered 213gr.

Bottom is a 308 win 165 gr tsx. First shot went through moose ribs/lungs. Bullet was not recovered. Second shot broke rear leg bone above knee then broke front leg bone above knee. bullet recoved under hide in front leg. recovered 163gr

Great pictures and thank you so much for this, that is so cool. I love the TSX.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That's very good performance for both, I won't question shooting the legs off a moose to test a bullet, but certainly good performance. The TSX certainly doesn't over expand, a good predictble trait.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for posting the pictures and the data...it's good information (and I'm envious). I'm still waiting to recover a TSX or an X, but I've already whined about that before.

I also appreciate your honesty in reporting shot placement. It's a good quality to see on an internet forum.

ya, the second shot on the moose was not the best. Didn't destroy any meat and I got to recover my bullet. The first shot killed the moose but was not sure I hit it. The moose ran.. I shot . It all happened in about 15 seconds. But that hunting isn't it.. Sometime things don't go as planned.

I could not believe the weight retention after going through two moose legs. I suspect the bullet did not expand due to not hitting anything with water (lungs,meat) in it.

I love the TSX bullet just for the reasons posted in your pictures. One question though, the bullet doesnt look seated in your 308 picture, was that the way it was intended to be loaded?

My next loads are going to be with the TTSX!

pretty sweet finding two of them. also, two very different rounds providing the same result...dead moose. I am deffinately going to try some of those in my .308.

thanks for sharing and happy holidays.

gary

Well said sir, things do happen real fast (in a time compressed kind of way)...that is hunting indeed. We have all been there before when things didn't go as planned, and we each will probably be there again some day.

The bullets look seated ok to me Ronster. You don't have to seat to the concentric rings on the TSX. They aren't really a cannelure, but you can use them as such if the OAL works out right. I acrually stopped crimping bolt action rifle years ago...I learned form Professor Murphy that it really isn't necessary...and he is right.

I just havent seen a TSX stick that far out (past the first cannelure). I have never seen a 308 stick out of the casing that far but if its under the OAL thats all that matters.

got me thinking so I went and measured my rounds. They are 2.780". my book shows 2.810" max

Default 340 WBY Factory Barnes Recovered

Here is a picture of a Barnes X bullet we recovered from a 8.7" Bear we shot down in Unit 9B this past spring. Through the front shoulder and just under the hide on the far side. It is a 250 grain barnes x in a 340 wby factory ammo round.
    I did not weigh it, but it is almost a perfect bullet. Nothing broken off at all that I can tell. The shot was at 80 yards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those Barnes bullets are really good. Thanks for posting pics.

Here are my two recovered TSX's, both from bull moose.

A 7mm 160gr TSX from my 7mm Rem Mag on a quartering towards shot. Bullet entered between the shoulder and the neck and was recovered just under the skin on the off side kidney area.

A .358 225gr TSX from my .35 Whelen. A finishing shot, frontal shot to the head. Bullet entered at the top of the snout and was recovered in the neck after penetrating the skull and several inches of spine.

Default 180 tsx

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...36-31_0091.jpg

180 gr TSX
    300 win mag
    bull elk standing, quartering towards me about 50 yrds away.
    broke front shoulder and traveled at angle across the body and was found lodged in the hide between stomache and off side rear leg.
    The elk ran about 30 yrds and piled up and died seconds later. massive internal damage to the lungs and liver but meat still in decent shape considering...

I have had so much success with the TSX in every rifle so far I have tried it in when it comes to accruacy 416Wby, 375Wby, 300Wby, 338Win, 300Win, 300Wby, 257Wby (synthetic) 22-250 and 30-06. I have had awesome kills with the 300Wby, 338Win, 300Win, 300Wby 257Wby (earlier rifle not my new Accumark) and 22-250.

I am going to load the 168gr TTSX in my 30-06 and work with it and should get good accuracy because the 168gr TSX was the second most accurate bullet in my Mark V Custom 30-06 and was moving 3007fps using 59gr H4350. The TTSX should really do well in the 30-06 opening up on longer shots. Will work on that in Feb or March but for what I am using the 06 for this year on deer only I will stick with the 165gr Sierra HPBT. If the TTSX proves a accurate as the TSX I will use it as an all around bullet in my 06.

I think the TSX has really improved cartridge performance in opening up quickly yet staying together on short shots while still opening up on long ones. The TSX gives great penetration. So far I have not been able to collect one on any game I have killed with them because they have pass completely through the animal.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default recovered tsx 250gr 338

Here is a 250gr barnes tsx 338 bullet recovered from a moose. 215gr retained weight. 86%. Hit moose in shoulder recovered in far shoulder under hide. moose was at 75 yards and estimated velocity at impact was about 2500 fps.IMG_1850.jpg

biganimal, what was the distance to the moose for both 308 shots?

Default 308 moose 165gr tsx

maybe 75 yards. the load was 47gr BLC2 for about 2700 fps muzzle. good little 308win load for moose or black bear.

I have only recovered a 225 grain .338 Barnes X bullet. Most of our shots are fairly close and thru the lungs with a 180 grain 30-06 and a 250 grain .338. The 225 grain .338 bullet weighed 224 grains and looks perfect. I am going 2 buy some of the Tripple Shocks for the 30-06 as my old supply is of the original .30 caliber Barnes X bullets are about gone. Thanks for the post.

Interesting. When I saw how little it mushroomed, I was going to guess your second shot was at a longer range, but then I would have been surprised at the great penetration you got. I'm surprised that you went through two leg bones, and the 165 didn't mushroom more or lose a petal or two.

Don't get me wrong, the bullet obviously did its job, and I'm a fan of the TSX and TTSX. However, I don't understand why the smaller caiber TSX didn't at least expand down to the base of the four petals after going through two major bones. Given that result would lead a person to wonder if the first shot expanded even less. Why don't you go back and do the same exact thing with a TTSX so I can see the difference.

I posted pics of a 338 225gr TTSX in another thread after shooting a buffalo through ribs going in and out, and the results were similar to your pic of the 225 TSX.

Thanks for the post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast