Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 magnum for brown bear

Default 22 magnum for brown bear

ha had you all with that one....

lol I was about to post a "what are you crazy" post. (in the nicest possible way of coarse)

Smile What?

I was ready to unload the dumb response!

Funny guy!

Walt
    www,northwestalaska.com
    Rafts and Camps Rentals

Mark

22 magnum for brown bear
    That's what the old timers carried for back up if the spear trick failed.

[quote]....ha had you all with that one....[/qutoe]

What? You're not familiar with the Eskimos-used-22 mags-for-polar-bear-all-the-time stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What? You're not familiar with the Eskimos-used-22 mags-for-polar-bear-all-the-time stuff?
    Is that one of those ancient native customs??

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    Is that one of those ancient native customs??
    The spear trick was the ancient custom.

The 22 Mag bdhind the ear was their modern version, as I heard it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The spear trick was the ancient custom.

The 22 Mag bdhind the ear was their modern version, as I heard it.

actually, the polar bear was lured with a bait ball full of sharp bones and rocks that pierced his guts and was tracked sometimes days before he laid down. and then was dispatched with a spear, when he was to weak to get up.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default 22 behind the ear

that would be great if the animal was already "mostly dead" I like Mostly Dead animals makes the stalking much easier. Not sure if the whole Spear thing has much creadence, I'm thinking 5 guys armed with spears are still going to get their mucklucks kicked in by one average sized bear in good health.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    actually, the polar bear was lured with a bait ball full of sharp bones and rocks that pierced his guts and was tracked sometimes days before he laid down. and then was dispatched with a spear, when he was to weak to get up.
    Yeah. I heard that version, too.

The 22 Mag-behind-the-ear-trick was told to me by a very old Inuit man who I worked with in the mid-1970's. I'd estimate his birth at 1910, and he told me he'd done it himself.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    that would be great if the animal was already "mostly dead" I like Mostly Dead animals makes the stalking much easier.....
    My favorite part of "The Princess Bride"!

Billy Crystal was great!

...Not sure if the whole Spear thing has much creadence, I'm thinking 5 guys armed with spears are still going to get their mucklucks kicked in by one average sized bear in good health.
    As I heard it, one lured/called a pissed off bear toward you, hold the sharp part of the spear toward the animal and brace the back of the spear in a depression in the Earth. When the animal lunged at you, he impales himself on the spear.

This method is only recommended for those who don't own a 22 Mag.

The .22 mag has taken big and dangerous game around the world. Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Hippo, Elephant, Lion, Tigers and Bears Oh MY. shoot for the shoulder. If meat destruction is a concern then by all means go to a .22 short. The new .17 HMR shows great promise for the same game with less meat and hide dammage!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    ......The new .17 HMR shows great promise for the same game with less meat and hide dammage!
    Since less meat and hide damage is the ethical thing to do, we should all be required to pursue such game with the .17 HMR.

Everybody wants a Magnum.....~LOL!~

They actually used to use a strip of Baleen, sharpened and barbed, soaked and folded, then tied with sinew and rolled in meat to freeze.

Bear, Fox, Wolf would gulp it down and as Vince said.....it didnt take long. I have a few around, it's clever.
    Might add too, that when activly hunting Bears, dogs were used.

.22Mag ? In self defence, I bet most fellas went down swingin'....

Amost forgot...

IMHO The 'Best' place to shoot any Bear, if you can get it, is in the temple, right between the eye and ear. My fatherinlaw used a .25-20 in his younger years on everything. Get close and ambush 'em. He told me about the Temple shot.
    Back of the ear sounds good, but Ive only tryed the Temple shot, but I dont have doubts that that would do... looking at a Bear skull..... Ive done it with .243w , 30-06, 7.62X54R, and 8mmMauser once. All oneshot drops.

Only in Alaska do folks feel the need for a magnum on bears. The simple 1022 Ruger set up the look like a Black Gun is all you need.A few thrity round mags and the cheapest solids and you have a gun that will do it all.

Default I once heard a story....

about a village having trouble with a polar bear coming in every night and reaking havoc. So the townsmen gathered one evening to shoot it. Right on time hear comes this bear out on the tundra. An old native man walked by the waiting townsmen carrying a really long spear. He walked right up to the bear causing it to rear up and with a couple precisely placed pokes stabs it in the heart and it dies. Did'nt say when or where. Its a cool story not sure if its true or not.

In all honesty People in Arkansas have and used to hunt black bear with a .22 mag.

Default Bait Ball

Well the bait ball was frozen whale blubber and in side was a sharp and small spear thing that was pushed together tightly so when the bear ate it the whale blubber unfroze and the spear thing shot out piecing the bear wounding it and it being able to track it the Eskimos then they killed it and I don't have a long explanation on that they just killed it.

Default all wrong

Wait just a darn minute .......you guys have it all wrong. Putting false info on this forum is rediculous......... everyone knows the 17 mach II will do the trick

I was thinking about the 22 mag for predator control in 16b. I mean I can see blasting the mommas with the big rifle but it seems a little overkill for the cubs... Though aren't there laws against using rim-fires for bear....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast