Thread: Islands in the Kenai

Default Islands in the Kenai

I have another question. we will be staying at a friends cabin on the Kenai. Just upstream there is an island on the bend in the river. Would the island be a good spot to look for reds? They fish them right below the cabin but was wondering if the slack water behind the island would be a good place for them to rest and maybe stack up. We are in the Soldotna area. Thanks again for all your help!

You are more likely to find willing silvers, pinks, or even kings stacked up in the slack water below that island. Any reds that rest/stack there will be hard to catch (floss). It works best to find good current over moving fish, preferably over relatively shallow water. You're more likely to find that type of water along the sides or near the top of the island.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

You are definitely going to want to look for current to fish for reds.

Default legal access?

Also be sure to look at the regs to see if the areas are open. Most islands have the bank closure during sockeye season. That is you cannot fish within 10' of the water's edge during the closed time. It is possible to anchor your boat out in the current and toss your fly toward the bank, but technically you have to stay out 10'. Check the regulations to be sure.

I was thinking of having them drop me off on the island when they go king fishing. we will only have two boats and will have a few guys that will not fit so while waiting for my turn in a boat to fish Kings i am going to fish Reds. I just thought the island may be a better spot for Sockeyes. Good point however!

There are plenty of spots to fish reds when the boat drops you off. Just look for a spot with current and fish coming out of the water where you can get out of the boat and you will get them.