Thread: New anchor / pot buoy puller concept

Default New anchor / pot buoy puller concept

http://www.orvalsezpull.com/

I came across this while surfing around and wondered if anyone has any experience with one. Iíve been looking for a buoy puller system that allows you to remove the device without detaching the line from the pots, and this came up.
    Weíve been using the Anchor Lift buoy puller with great success, this device would definitely save some time if it performs as advertised.
    Go to the Instructions for Use link for more pictures.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Yes , have used one for the last 2 years pulling pots and anchors , works great ! Met the old boy that invented it in Portland 2 years ago . Would recommend it . Don't know if pulling pots this way is best but with out a regular puller it beats 500 ft of rope by hand .

Thanks for sharing your experience and endorsement.

The concept of using a buoy to pull an anchor or pot has been around for a long time, this is the first device- other than the ring which doesnít work with pots- Iíve seen that allows you to detach it directly from the line.

Weíve been using a similar device with great success. Been thinking about buying a pot puller but the buoy system has been working great!
    If everything clicks we can circle around to the pots, pick and re-bait, then re-set 3 pots in about 20 minutes; if we need to coil it takes a little longer.
    Have never lost a pot and donít believe Iím loosing shrimp; you canít throttle her up too much.
    Next year going to try 4 puts with a bigger buoy, or just adding and additional one.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

This is the one that I've seen used most, although it requires threading the rope through it ...not as snazzy. It is lighter weight and more compact though. The new one that you point out is no more expensive either ...not bad!

Brian

the ring does work for pulling pots, you just have to have a grapple hook on your line close to the pot

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience and endorsement.

The concept of using a buoy to pull an anchor or pot has been around for a long time, this is the first device- other than the ring which doesnít work with pots- Iíve seen that allows you to detach it directly from the line.

Weíve been using a similar device with great success. Been thinking about buying a pot puller but the buoy system has been working great!
    If everything clicks we can circle around to the pots, pick and re-bait, then re-set 3 pots in about 20 minutes; if we need to coil it takes a little longer.
    Have never lost a pot and donít believe Iím loosing shrimp; you canít throttle her up too much.
    Next year going to try 4 puts with a bigger buoy, or just adding and additional one.
    Jay,
    Just go for a electra-dyne and you'll never look back.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    This is the one that I've seen used most, although it requires threading the rope through it ...not as snazzy. It is lighter weight and more compact though. The new one that you point out is no more expensive either ...not bad!

Brian
    I'm going to get the one that tananaBrian gave a link to because when I pull my pots I only get shrimp, but looking at the advertisement it appears that you will pull up a woman in a bikini

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Jay,
    Just go for a electra-dyne and you'll never look back.
    Yeah, until the Commies get their way and have electric, gas and hydraulic pullers outlawed on sport or private boats. (This is one of the reasons I'm not chartering this year... the groundwork has always been laid to prevent a charter boat from using a puller on sport pots - even if they're my OWN pots while boating privately.)

I've always had my windlass at the ready to pull anchor, but it occurred to me last year that if... err... when I lose my main hook, I'd like to have a "lunch hook" or "rock hook" as backup, but then what sort of buoy pulling system is effective with 600' of 5/8" 3-strand coupled to 50' of 5/16 chain?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Yeah, until the Commies get their way and have electric, gas and hydraulic pullers outlawed on sport or private boats. (This is one of the reasons I'm not chartering this year... the groundwork has always been laid to prevent a charter boat from using a puller on sport pots - even if they're my OWN pots while boating privately.)

I've always had my windlass at the ready to pull anchor, but it occurred to me last year that if... err... when I lose my main hook, I'd like to have a "lunch hook" or "rock hook" as backup, but then what sort of buoy pulling system is effective with 600' of 5/8" 3-strand coupled to 50' of 5/16 chain?

-Case
    Where did you hear that?? I didn't see anything like that listed on the proposals at the BOF meetings in Cordova. Might it be something that might be for SE AK ??? I can't see what good that would do? not let a sport fisherman use a hauler to pull their pots??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Steve-

Yeah, it's a SE proposal... #135 in the book, I believe. I've commented on it here, so I won't repeat myself.

Regardless of the region the proposal is being sought in, All of this sort of proposals lead us onto a very slippery slope running quickly towards the day when all of our seafood comes from the grocery store instead of directly from the ocean.

You'll notice that they appear to be targeting the dungeness fishery. It's really the only practical sport fishery for shell fish left. King crab have been over-harvested here in SE to the point where there is no sport and in recent years, no personal use fishery either. It's to the point now where they don't need a regulation preventing using a mechanical puller for king crab because there isn't a fishery for it here anymore.

Can you imagine pulling even a small sport king crab pot up from 300+ feet and only being allowed to do it by hand? What about a semi-full shrimp pot from 400-600 feet? Count me out if I can't use my puller...

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds like they want to exclude people with disabilities from pot fisheries.
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    Sounds like they want to exclude people with disabilities from pot fisheries.
    For the past few years, we've been able to bring up the disability issue and get the various motions tabled. As soon as I read of any sort of gear restriction, the first thing I think is, "if this equipment is bad now, why hasn't it been bad the past 50 years?" For the most part, sportsmen have a good, working set of gear.

I won't pretend to know the motives of the folks who write these proposals, but I do know commercial crabbers and shrimpers would much rather not see my boat pull into an area, run my 3 personal use pots and leave faster than they can make their set. I've even had folks yell at me over the rail about how this is "their bay" and I should get my *&%$#% gear out of it.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    I won't pretend to know the motives of the folks who write these proposals, but I do know commercial crabbers and shrimpers would much rather not see my boat pull into an area, run my 3 personal use pots and leave faster than they can make their set. I've even had folks yell at me over the rail about how this is "their bay" and I should get my *&%$#% gear out of it.

-Case
    I have also run into this I was here first, it's mine all mine mentality far too many times as well. I have been fishing steelhead and walk up to a pool that is big enough for 15 guys to fish that has had 3 guys fishing there only to be told that if I wanted to fish it I should get there in the dark like they did. Uh, yeah, right #$%$^$$ you $#$##@@. I don't know why these people feel entitled to all the water and don't want to share (probably has something to do with their tiny wee wee)

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have also run into this I was here first, it's mine all mine mentality far too many times as well. I have been fishing steelhead and walk up to a pool that is big enough for 15 guys to fish that has had 3 guys fishing there only to be told that if I wanted to fish it I should get there in the dark like they did. Uh, yeah, right #$%$^$$ you $#$##@@. I don't know why these people feel entitled to all the water and don't want to share (probably has something to do with their tiny wee wee)
    Of course, that's not to say that I've never seen a sport fisherman holler at a drift guide or commercial gillnetter that they were "here first" either... All sides have shown bad behavior at one time or another.

I was just under the impression that if I bought a sport fishing license, it entitled me to ... umm ... err ... SPORT FISH! There are a few methods and means prohibited in the regs for sport fishing, but assuming I stay within those bounds, I fully expect to be able to fish the same amount and the same ways that anyone else purchasing the same license is able to. Oh well. I guess I got mine, so it's just tough luck to anyone who isn't fortunate enough to own their own private boat, eh?

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]