Thread: VHF Radios

Default VHF Radios

Hey guys, I know some of you upgraded your VHF Radio's and I was just wondering what the motivation was for that.

Also I am thinking of putting two radio's in the boat so I can monitor channel 16 and another channel of choice when I am with another boat, not to mention redundancy. Are there any cons to doing this, i.e. antenna interference or anything?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Hey guys, I know some of you upgraded your VHF Radio's and I was just wondering what the motivation was for that.

Also I am thinking of putting two radio's in the boat so I can monitor channel 16 and another channel of choice when I am with another boat, not to mention redundancy. Are there any cons to doing this, i.e. antenna interference or anything?
    You would think there would be a radio that can monitor more than one channel.................

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default dual frequency monitoring

Hey guys - most newer radios can monitor multiple channels. Check out one of ICOM's cheaper units .

http://www.bestradiosdirect.com/m304.html

Thanks bushboy!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Charterboat Operator

Default radios

I installed a second vhf in my boat this past summer, LOVE IT>
    its nice to monitor and be able to respond on 2 channels when you are chasing fish with different boats. Also think it is an added benifit if something was to ever go wrong, couple of years ago took a nasty wave over the boat and broke the antenna base off the roof, antenna cable held it to the boat but it cut deed into the coax and rendered it useless at any distance. Now ive got a backup.
    Just my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    ... some of you upgraded your VHF Radio's and I was just wondering what the motivation was for that...
    I know a number of folks who upgraded in order to get radios with DSC capability (digital selective calling). This allows you to connect your GPS to the radio and transmit your GPS location to other DSC equipped radios during an emergency. Some day, maybe the USCG in AK will be monitoring this system, too.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!