Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Draw & Tier II Hunting Information

Default Alaska Draw & Tier II Hunting Information

Since this comes up often, I thought I'd make a sticky for it. Hopefully this has all the info you need.

First you need a license!! Licenses, permits, and miscellaneous forms here.

Alaska Drawing Hunt Information. This is where you need to go to find anything and everything you need to know about when, where, why, and how. Available to residents and nonresidents on a lottery basis, with no point system. Everyone has an equal chance. Drawing supplement and related stats are found at this link.

Registration Hunt Information. Available year-round (each hunt has its own application period and season dates).

Tier I & II Information. Available for Alaska residents only. All related Tier I & Tier II info is found at this link.

Where are these hunts for? This link is for the online mapping homepage. Search for maps by unit/species/etc.

How do I find out if people are successful on the hunts I might choose? Below are three links to information that may be helpful!!
    General Harvest Reports
    Registration Hunt Summary Statistics
    Drawing/Tier II Summary Statistics

Did I win?? Check here for each type of permit:

Online hunt reporting. Great!! You harvested your trophy of a lifetime, now let ADF&G know about it!

So I'm in the military, drew a tag, now I'm being deployed!! What do I do? Check here. (also applies to Tier II hunts)

ADF&G Contact info. If you need more help, call someone!

(updated 12/14/13)
    Last edited by Brian M; 12-10-2015 at 21:05.

Thumbs up Great stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Mark

Where do I go to whine if I don't get a permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Where do I go to whine if I don't get a permit?
    Just send me a pm and we'll go from there!

Default Great Job!

Thanks, great job!!

I'm sure you'll have many untold thanks and appreciation.

Default Thanks

Thanks, Just used your links to get my license.

Good post, hunt. Thanks!!

What's the latest word on going to a Points system in 2010.

I read in the Huntin' Fool that ADF&G is going this way.

Default Unless things change again...

....the tier I (formerly tier II) caribou is on a points system as of 2009, along with other added modifications. Everyone who applied in '09 got 1 point, if you got a permit, your score reset back to zero.

Things will probably change again, at least I hope they do, especially with the moronic Ahtna decisions.

Default no point

Except me; I don't think I got a point. When I checked whether I won that permit it seems they don't have record of my application...

Do you suppose they'll put the application online this year instead of the paper application process used last year? Hope so; they seem to do better with those...

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    ....the tier I (formerly tier II) caribou is on a points system as of 2009, along with other added modifications. Everyone who applied in '09 got 1 point, if you got a permit, your score reset back to zero.

Things will probably change again, at least I hope they do, especially with the moronic Ahtna decisions.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Except me; I don't think I got a point. When I checked whether I won that permit it seems they don't have record of my application...

Do you suppose they'll put the application online this year instead of the paper application process used last year? Hope so; they seem to do better with those...

LOL but i be the 5 bucks went missing on the C/ card though didn't it.

sounds like failur to complete the sale suit or what ever it would be called...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

The Tier I applications were free.

I'd like to see them online as well, FamilyMan. I like getting that instant verification.

Talking the fix for next year clearly is...

...not to give my money and application to Vince to put in the mail....

Gotcha, big guy! I bet its tough having such broad shoulders there, and always being responsible for every darned problem in the world.... Yep, its gotta be tough being you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Default little help.

I am relatively new to Ak ( couple years) and am in need of some clarification. What exactly are the draw and tier 1 and 2 hunts? I looked on the ADF&G site but it didn't really spell it out for me. Would those of you with experience help me out? I currently live in Sitka and would like to head North next year for Caribou, moose, or Dall sheep hunts. I'm just trying to figure this out before the deadline.
    Thanks!!

CtP - Drawing permit hunts are those that you must win a permit by lottery (drawing) in order to participate in the hunt. You are allowed to apply for three permits per species per year. While there are plenty of hunts that you can participate in that do not require a drawing permit, some of the more coveted hunts are drawing permit only. Hunts closer to the road system, with lower animal populations, or those that are managed for trophy quality are often those that are restricted to drawing permit. These are generalities, though - it varies quite widely.

Tier I and Tier II permits are considered to be subsistence permits. Tier II permits are awarded based upon a hunter's history of using meat from that animal population, their hometown's proximity to the hunt area, and a few other factors. The one Tier I hunt - RC 566 - is a caribou hunt in the Nelchina basin. There is a high demand for that hunt, as it is easily accessible by road and offers good success rates. They've changed the rules on that one many times over the year, but the current deal is that anyone may apply, but if you win a permit you and all family members are not allowed to hunt moose or caribou in any other unit statewide except for Unit 13. You're also required to destroy the trophy value of the antlers and to leave them at the kill site.

If you have more questions, let us know. The short answer is that you don't have to apply for or win a drawing permit in order to come north to hunt next year, but in some cases if you win a drawing permit you may have the opportunity to participate in a higher demand hunt with potentially less competition or more animals to choose from. Again, that is speaking generally.

Brian M,
    Thanks, that makes sense. What would be the best way to hunt up North? As I mentioned before, some friends and I have interest in a caribou hunt. I think we'd rather not use a service and do it ourselves. Is there an area where you can hunt caribou without a draw near Anchorage or Fairbanks? We'd love to fly up, rent a truck, hunt, process , have a little fun and fly back. Is that possible/realistic?
    I'd be happy to apply for draw hunts, just making sure it's necessary for the species and area we'd like to hunt. I apologize for the mild redundancies, I am new to this.
    Thanks
    Ctp

CtP, I'd suggest starting a new thread on it to gain more attention to your request. A haul road hunt may be doable....are you into archery?

All these questions will be addressed if you start a new topic...

Default Supplements still available

If you've procrastinated on filling out your application, and the deadline's breathing down your neck, better get at it! It's too late to mail it in, but can be posted online. If you need a paper supplement instead of a downloadable PDF, 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle in Wasilla still has a bunch. Good luck in your draws!

abirurn09

Default Alaska Draw Tier II Hunting Information

My only question is how much money will it cost to get a permit from the conservation people to kill a couple of grizzly bears?

Quote Originally Posted by abirurn09 View Post
    My only question is how much money will it cost to get a permit from the conservation people to kill a couple of grizzly bears?
    I'm not quite clear on what your question is. Do you want to know the tag fee for a grizzly bear? The cost varies widely based upon if you are a resident or non-resident. Residents can hunt grizzlies in many areas of the state for free (other than the cost of a hunting license), and in other areas for $25. Non-residents need a license, a locking tag (a few hundred dollars?) and a guide, which can run anywhere from $7-12,000.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast