Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Draw & Tier II Hunting Information

Default What's new...

I'll take "Incompetent Bureaucracies" for 5,000 Alex.

Smile

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...g=permits.draw

Fish and game website has its updated to the 9 of APR 5:00 pm thats were were pulling the info from.

Amazing. What use to take 1 1/2 now takes 3 1/2 months. I wonder how many people they had to hire to make that happen?

Guys, this thread is intended to provide basic information to those folks who are new to the system and need help navigating the permit application process. Though nobody is happy about the delay in announcing permit winners, there is a thread devoted to that discussion further down the page. Let's leave this thread for general discussion of draw and Tier permits.

So my Dad applied for the TI (rc566) caribou hunt and recieved a letter that said due to the mistake of a few households that recieved both TierII moose as well as TierI(RC566) He would have won, had the previous households not slipped thru the review process. They are saying that he will recieve a TM569 permit instead as they have received permission to give these permits out to the next available households on the list. I dont know how they expect a guy to get over across the inlet to hunt moose comparable to hunting caribou in unit 13 a fair trade-off. Does this take him out of the system for next years (rc566) hunt draw application.

Hope this question makes sence. He will call them of course but want to get opinions and let a cat out of a bag as to the review process.

He has back issues so flying in and packing meat very far isnt realistic for him as his back has issues.

Default Got your permits in the mail?

Anyone (else) not receive their permits in the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Anyone (else) not receive their permits in the mail?
    I got mine a while back, probably a month or so. They came in right about the same time as the Manning case court decision (the first decision).

The new Draw hunt supplement is out!!!

Ok my face is red, sorry it is still last years, I misread the dates. Gues I am a little anxious after nothing for two years!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    Ok my face is red, sorry it is still last years, I misread the dates. Gues I am a little anxious after nothing for two years!
    Ha! Yeah, it's a fun time of year. There's something about the hope and possibilities when you're looking through the permit supplement. Of course, often those hopes are dashed like waves upon the shore, but it's nice while it lasts.

Does anyone know how to research success rates in certain areas?
    For example, one of the Brown Bear areas on Kodiak is a Way higher percentage draw success in Spring vs Fall, also is quite a bit higher even in Fall than other areas close by... So,

how do I find out why before choosing to apply for an area that is historically diffficult to find Bears in or whatever might be the case to cause that to be apparently unattractive to some folks?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    How do I find out if people are successful on the hunts I might choose? Below are three links to information that may be helpful!!
    General Harvest Reports
    Registration Hunt Summary Statistics
    Drawing/Tier II Summary Statistics
    KR, I think this is what you're looking for...

Lets just say I'm pretty disappointed the bowhunters stole my DS120 ewe hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Lets just say I'm pretty disappointed the bowhunters stole my DS120 ewe hunt.
    The bowhunters? Perhaps this is a discussion for a thread of its own, but I'm not sure how you come to that connection. The sheep population is down in 14C and thus having ewe-specific drawing permits isn't biologically justifiable right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The bowhunters? Perhaps this is a discussion for a thread of its own, but I'm not sure how you come to that connection. The sheep population is down in 14C and thus having ewe-specific drawing permits isn't biologically justifiable right now.
    Yeah Ok I'm not to educated in the matter. I posted here because when I was searching for the ewe hunt that I've successfully drawn twice, I couldn't find it. Then I noticed Archery hunters could take something like 50 either sex at Goat Creek. Anyway I guess now I'm confused if the sheep numbers are down why can archers take so many? Another thread I guess so I'll shutup now

two years ago i got the DS141 tag. Its and archery hunt and they gave out 25 tags.... out of the 25 no one got a sheep. bows are better then ever but if you cant get with in 50 or so yards you got nothing. sheep and goat hunting is done in the "open" so by them giving out more tags they might get 1 or2 to fill them. if yout pissed they are giving us archery people so many tags stary archery hunting and youll see why. Another thread I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Anyway I guess now I'm confused if the sheep numbers are down why can archers take so many?
    The large numbers of archery permits are misleading with regards to actual sheep numbers. In years past they have given away 100 archery tags for the October 14C hunt (this year I think they're giving away 75?). Of those permits, less than half of the people actually hunt, and of those who do, the success rate is something around 5%. There have been years where out of 100 permits, only two or three sheep are actually harvested.

Thanks for the fantastic thread.

It is appreciated by many of us!
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    If we apply one hunt as a party we each have two more hunts to apply for that species correct?
    Wow, you dug up an old thread....

To answer your question, yes, the party hunt application counts as one entry for each of you, so you each have two other opportunities available if you choose to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Wow, you dug up an old thread....

To answer your question, yes, the party hunt application counts as one entry for each of you, so you each have two other opportunities available if you choose to use them.
    I'm getting old. I don't undersand all these nuances. Please humor me and explain. You'll inherit good karma.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast