Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead? Yakutat , POW?

Default Steelhead? Yakutat , POW?

I am planning a steelhead trip this spring. I have been to POW island a few times before, just not for steelhead. In doing my research I have also found in Yakutat, the Situk river has amazing steelhead. I know the rivers in POW are very wadable, and doable on your own. I am wondering if anyone has fished both and can give me some advice?

Also, I have never been to the Karta river on POW. I hear it is great. I see no way of getting to it other than plane or boat. is that true? Not being from around there, I can't seem to find any plain boat rentals to get over there. Any suggestions on trying to get there for a day trip from either thorne bay or craig? that doesn't involve a $800 float plane ride?

any info you have is greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Bill Cahill

Quote Originally Posted by BillBob View Post
    I am planning a steelhead trip this spring. I have been to POW island a few times before, just not for steelhead. In doing my research I have also found in Yakutat, the Situk river has amazing steelhead. I know the rivers in POW are very wadable, and doable on your own. I am wondering if anyone has fished both and can give me some advice?

Also, I have never been to the Karta river on POW. I hear it is great. I see no way of getting to it other than plane or boat. is that true? Not being from around there, I can't seem to find any plain boat rentals to get over there. Any suggestions on trying to get there for a day trip from either thorne bay or craig? that doesn't involve a $800 float plane ride?

any info you have is greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Bill Cahill
    I have fished the Situk 8 times....5 times for Steelhead and 3 times for salmon. The best reccommendation I can make is to float / canoe the river. You'll need to enter the river from '9-mile' bridge. It's a pretty gentle stream with crystal clear water and sporatic deep pools. (Oh yah, you'll definitely be able to see holding fish!) we typically canoe down 3.5 miles to the forest service cabins (which can be rented online) and fish the deep pool at the confluence of the Old Situk and the New Situk. The entire length of the river (from 9-mile bridge to the mouth) can be floated in a day...but it will take the entire day! I suggest doing it in 2-3 days (overnighting at the forest svc cabins) and fishing along the way....you won't be dissappointed!

Default floating the situk

That does sound good to float the Situk. Are float boats easily rentable in town? I guess you arrange for a drop off and pickup. I was able to get the middle forest service cabin for a few days near the end of April. Anyone with suggestions where to rent a float boat from?

I've done a lot of steelheading on POW. You can fly into Craig from Ketchikan and rent a car. I know there's a guy there that rents older suburbans. Find water, find fish

Promech, Taquan, or almost any of the others usually have several daily flights into Craig.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by BillBob View Post
    That does sound good to float the Situk. Are float boats easily rentable in town? I guess you arrange for a drop off and pickup. I was able to get the middle forest service cabin for a few days near the end of April. Anyone with suggestions where to rent a float boat from?
    The Situk is about as easy as it gets for awesome fishing. Contact either the Yakutat Lodge, Glacier Bear lodge, or Situk Leasing for rentals.

The river (creek) will ruin your future steelheading adventures though....nothing can compare...they can stack up like chums.

Advice: Bring as much food and beer as you can on the plane. The stores in town are wicked-expensive. Bring lots of extra flies...snag-city. Watch out for bears.
    Nice Marmot.

Default POW, mmmm

Yes, I have been to POW 4 times. I love it every time, well last time was a bit too wet.
    I am tempted to go to POW this spring, however I have never been there for steelhead, and I know the counts aren't nearly as high as Situk. Plus I do kinda want to try a new place. But then again , I know where to stay in POW, and I know where to get a car, and there are lots of streams I can find fish in.

Still haven't made up my mind.

FWIW all the times I've ended up in Yak, I've been in gore-tex casting glo-bugs within an hour. It gets crowded around the 9-mile bridge during the peak of the run, but nowhere near 'combat' fishing. Floating the river is the way to go though....the fish around the bridge get a lot of pressure.

Never been to POW yet. Hope to make a trip sometime soon.
    Nice Marmot.

Default combat

The scare of combat fishing is exactly the reason I am still considering Prince of Wales island. And the reason I have gone to POW several times. When I fish a stream in POW I am almost always by myself all day long, fishing however i like, whenever I like. So even if there isn't as many fish, if I do go to POW it will be because I want to fish alone.

When I've floated the Situk for steelhead, we only saw people fishing around the vicinity of the bridge...+/- 300 yds. and down by the mouth. There really are no 'trails' along the river going downstream...so seeing people or experiencing 'combat' fishing is pretty non existant (up stream there is however). As far as boat rentals (canoes) are concerned, you may want to call the Yakutat Lodge and see if they'll rent you some of theirs....I think they can even arrange for drop offs /pick ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    The Situk is about as easy as it gets for awesome fishing. Contact either the Yakutat Lodge, Glacier Bear lodge, or Situk Leasing for rentals.

The river (creek) will ruin your future steelheading adventures though....nothing can compare...they can stack up like chums.

Advice: Bring as much food and beer as you can on the plane. The stores in town are wicked-expensive. Bring lots of extra flies...snag-city. Watch out for bears.
    And they can be,at least used to be, just as big as chums.I've had some awesome coho trips there as well.There used to be good butterclam beds to be had too.

Yakutat is nice, just way crowded, really crowded... Annoyingly crowded but there are a lot of fish...

You should experience it once in you life cause the fishing is awesome, I'm going to POW this spring though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default yakutat

Thanks for the info AKPOWDER. I think I will let my buddies decide whether they want crowded fishing or POW. Where are you staying in POW this spring?
    Have you been there for steelhead before? What streams do you fish.

BTW, I like your photos.

I'm gonna bring my car from the south mitkof ferry terminal to hollis I think and sleep in a tent drink cheap beer and wonder around the island looking for fish... Did the same in petersubrg last spring it was pretty epic even though I didn't connect with fish... Hoping to find a few more fish than last year... Should be epic, any info you wanna PM along would be appreciated...

Does sound epic. tends to rain a lot. a lot, did I say it rains a lot?
    I have stayed in Coffman cove a few times. really great place. one store in town, there use to be a restaurant, but it closed. They finally paved the road yay. The people are nice, except for this transvestite I ran into at the riggin shack who was a very bitter person. Streams are very fishable, no big rivers, all are wadable. Doesn't hurt to get advice on which have fish in them.

It can't rain that much more than it does in Juneau right?

Bill.

We fished the river March 2 to the 7. used Leo @ the Moring Lodge 1-888-551-2836. Rented a 16ft drift boat & a 4x4. Stayed in the forest service cabin 3.5 miles below the bridge, the water was low at that time of the year but that said, we had the river almost to our self. Was able to float it in one day from the cabin out, then shuttle the boat back to the bridge, float down to the cabin, spend the night. Great trip, it snowed 10 the first day then rained the next, was sunny on and off after that. What we found was winter over fish in most holes with new bright ones coming in on the tide (Lower River.) Was lots of fun if you pm me with your E-mail i would gladly send you lots of pics. Good Luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    Bill.

We fished the river March 2 to the 7. used Leo @ the Moring Lodge 1-888-551-2836. Rented a 16ft drift boat & a 4x4. Stayed in the forest service cabin 3.5 miles below the bridge, the water was low at that time of the year but that said, we had the river almost to our self. Was able to float it in one day from the cabin out, then shuttle the boat back to the bridge, float down to the cabin, spend the night. Great trip, it snowed 10 the first day then rained the next, was sunny on and off after that. What we found was winter over fish in most holes with new bright ones coming in on the tide (Lower River.) Was lots of fun if you pm me with your E-mail i would gladly send you lots of pics. Good Luck.
    Great pics fish hook!

Doesn't look that crowded to me....

Bill, trust me...as a veteran of that stream (8 times) it really isn't crowded at all ever. If 4-5 people over a stretch of a mile, then yes, its rediculously crowded! (I guess the word "crowded" is a relative term to some people.) If you want to know what "crowded" really is, go see the Russian River during the 3rd week of June! Floating the Situk is the way to go....you'll get to see great portions of the stream very few ever get to see!

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    Great pics fish hook!

Doesn't look that crowded to me....

Bill, trust me...as a veteran of that stream (8 times) it really isn't crowded at all ever. If 4-5 people over a stretch of a mile, then yes, its rediculously crowded! (I guess the word "crowded" is a relative term to some people.) If you want to know what "crowded" really is, go see the Russian River during the 3rd week of June! Floating the Situk is the way to go....you'll get to see great portions of the stream very few ever get to see!
    4-5 people a mile is super crowded for steelheading they put down so many fish and so many fish had scars, sure it wasn't salmon fishing but I've had more space on the Russian in July and August...

Interesting, and great pics. Well, I did once fish around Kenai in July and didn't enjoy the experience that much because of the crowds. Again that is one of the reasons I like POW so much. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever fished a stream where I could even see another person.
    Anyone know of how the saltwater fishing is at the end of April? Ideally I would love to also get in a couple charters there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    4-5 people a mile is super crowded for steelheading they put down so many fish and so many fish had scars, sure it wasn't salmon fishing but I've had more space on the Russian in July and August...
    Have to agree here. I couldn't believe how many people were there last year. And above the bridge make that 7-8 people per mile in the good stretches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast