Thread: New Kimber Montana .308

Default New Kimber Montana .308

Well, last year I had to sell my Kimber Montana 300 WSM due to some financial problems ( actually sold most of my rifles) so when things got a little better this year I picked up this .308 at a local gun shop new for quite a discount. Amazing what they will sell them for a couple days after rifle season is over and almost a new year

So, I got some talley one piece mounts and I still had a couple scopes left that I took off some rifles I sold last year due to the buyers not wanting them. I mounted a Zeiss conquest 3-9X40 scope on it I had in the safe. The only ammo they had at the local general store was some Remington core lokt in 150 gr. I am not a big fan of the Remington ammo and have never had it shoot very good out of any of my rifles so I normally shoot federal premium with no problems in years and normally tight groups. Anyway, I figured why not get a couple boxes and shoot some through the rifle for fun until I can get something better.

I cleaned the rifle with some wipeout ( great stuff if you never used it) and today I headed to the range. It was very cold for Maryland this morning, 16 degrees with a wind chill below 0 . Figuring the barrel would cool down quickly it seemed like a great time to shoot in the rifle.

I got to the range pulled the bolt out and sighted a target at 50 yards. After adjusting the scope after looking through the bore I fired one shot...3 inches left and perfect high/low. I move the scope 27 clicks to the right then back 3 for a total of 24, then tap lightly on the turret. Fire one more shot, almost perfect bulls eye, only about 1/8 inch to the right. So, I move the target out to 100 yards and fire a shot, 3 inches left and 2 inches high. Now normally I would move the scope to the right but I thought I am gonna shoot a group of four or five to see what happens. Next shot 2 inches right and 1/2 inch high. Wow, that was more than 5 inches off the last shot...that is not good. I fire another shot 1/2 inch left and 1.5 inches high. I am thinking huh, that was my 5th shot maybe it takes 4 fouling shots to be good. Keep in mind I have not moved the scope since after the first shot at 50 yards. I fire another shot, perfect center and 1.75 inches high, WOW..fire another shot and cut the hole from the last shot. I went on to tear a 1 inch hole in the target from the next four shots.

I have never had Remington ammo shoot this good out of any rifle and I plan on using Hornady 165 light magnum when I find some but the accuracy was pretty amazing for such a light gun. I did hold the foregrip to keep it from jumping which may be a key to tight groups with these light rifles. My 300 WSM shot great also with federal and winchester ammo so this doesn't surprise me but I am over joyed. These rifles are amazing, just barely over 6 pounds with scope, sling and rounds and shoots uner 1 moa with crappy ammo. CRF, awesome trigger ( no creep and surprising break) nice stock, stainless and a great recoil pad. For the money I don't think they can be beat.

This is going to be my number one rifle for years to come, I normally hunt in the hills of Maryland as well as Maine and New Hampshire. Mostly still hunting in hill country and this is a perfect rifle for me. If I ever get to go on my dream sheep hunt in alaska ( don't think I will ever be able to afford it) this rifle will be perfect. I believe I can kill anything in the states with this .308 except I wouldn't intentionally try it on large bears.

Gary

Sounds like a nice one...

That is cool and I am glad that your experience at the range with Remington Ammo was a good one. 150gr Rem ammo can shoot good and your rifle seems to be a shooter. You have a good scope and now I hope you take something with your new rifle. I am happy for you and hope it continues to satisfy your hunting needs. Good luck and happy hunting along with a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by 8nbait View Post
    ..I have never had Remington ammo shoot this good out of any rifle and I plan on using Hornady 165 light magnum when I find some but the accuracy was pretty amazing for such a light gun. I did hold the foregrip to keep it from jumping which may be a key to tight groups with these light rifles. My 300 WSM shot great also with federal and winchester ammo so this doesn't surprise me but I am over joyed. These rifles are amazing, just barely over 6 pounds with scope, sling and rounds and shoots uner 1 moa with crappy ammo. CRF, awesome trigger ( no creep and surprising break) nice stock, stainless and a great recoil pad. For the money I don't think they can be beat.

This is going to be my number one rifle for years to come, I normally hunt in the hills of Maryland as well as Maine and New Hampshire. Mostly still hunting in hill country and this is a perfect rifle for me. If I ever get to go on my dream sheep hunt in alaska ( don't think I will ever be able to afford it) this rifle will be perfect. I believe I can kill anything in the states with this .308 except I wouldn't intentionally try it on large bears.

Gary
    Congrats on a great shooter. My Kimber 325 amazes me also. You are right about the muzzle jump. Mag-na-port takes care of that. I can now shoot mine off the bench without "holding it down". Made a HUGE difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 8nbait View Post

Gary
    Sounds like a great rifle, and no dings on the caliber from me. I'm a fan of the 308 and agree with you on all points. My usual choice is the 165 Nosler, but when a rifle likes a 150, who can argue with that?

i have been shooting a montana 30-06 with 165gr core-lockts with great results. remington bullets work well for me, and kill everything like the premium bullets w/o the cost.

personally, i don't care about 99% bullet recovery.........dead is what i am after, and core-locts deliver!

happy trails.
    jh

yep, can't argue with what a gun likes. I am going to try several other types of ammo for larger animals and longer shots should I have the opportunity.

I am satisfied with the Core Lokt ammo out of this rifle. This is the first one I have had that shot them accurately enough to be acceptable. While a 2 or 3 inch group is probably fine for deer around 100 yards or so I always wanted better groups, just in case. So, getting sub 1" groups is terrific and satisfying.

The recoil is almost nothing with the 150's so I feel my wife and daughter should be able to shoot it comfortably also. I have to admit after shooting magnums for the last few years I really like the lack of recoil also. I am 6'3" and 240 lbs and I don't mind saying a light recoiling gun has made my shooting more comfortable also. I may be a little soft for a big guy though.

gary