Thread: .32 H&R Loading question...

Question .32 H&R Loading question...

Hey guys,

My Dad ordered 1K 71grn. rn's for plinking in my Mom's .32 J frame. While attempting to load up some of these, I found that my loading book (Sierra) did not contain any loads for a 71 grain bullet, the closest being a 90 grain.

Does anyone know of any loads for 71 grain bullets in the .32 H&R, or where I could find some? I was planning to use RedDot but also have BlueDot and Unique on hand.

Thanks guys,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Jon-

Cast or jacketed? If they're jacketed they are probably for a .32 ACP wich means they probably won't have a cannelure; i.e you'll have to scare up a taper crimp die. I've shot a mess of Lyman's 311252 (75 gr RN) over 2.3 gr of Red Dot in a .32 H&R; I just roll crimped over the front drive band. Just remember to start low and work up.

-Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by klausg View Post
    Jon-

Cast or jacketed? If they're jacketed they are probably for a .32 ACP wich means they probably won't have a cannelure; i.e you'll have to scare up a taper crimp die. I've shot a mess of Lyman's 311252 (75 gr RN) over 2.3 gr of Red Dot in a .32 H&R; I just roll crimped over the front drive band. Just remember to start low and work up.

-Klaus
    Jacketed, I do believe they were designed for the .32 acp. Why he bought them instead of the 90 grn. rn's I pointed him to...I don't know

I'll take a look around and try to find a taper crimping die. I didn't even think about that, as most everything I load is semi-auto and thus doesn't have any type of cannelure.

Thanks again for the info,

Jon

Jon-
    If you've got .32 ACP dies just take the seating stem out and adjust the die way off the shellholder. You might also be able to get a .30 carbine die to work if you can get a cartridge to start into the die. I also wouldn't load a bunch until I'd tested it, as in you don't really want 250 or so of a load that won't clear the end of the barrel. The data I posted is a cast bullet and fairly anemic, I never chrono'ed it but I would guess around 850 fps.

-Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by klausg View Post
    Jon-
    If you've got .32 ACP dies just take the seating stem out and adjust the die way off the shellholder. You might also be able to get a .30 carbine die to work if you can get a cartridge to start into the die. I also wouldn't load a bunch until I'd tested it, as in you don't really want 250 or so of a load that won't clear the end of the barrel. The data I posted is a cast bullet and fairly anemic, I never chrono'ed it but I would guess around 850 fps.

-Klaus
    I don't have any .32 acp dies. (Unless you'd like to gift me a .32acp pistol, then I'm sure I could justify the dies in my budget ). Just a set of Hornady's in .32 S&W/H&R.

If it is a weak load, could you just put a good taper crimp on it and start experimenting? I'm not real knowledgeable about the whole taper vs. roll crimp thing so maybe that's a stupid question?

Thanks,

Jon

I think you could use the 32 S&W long dies and after seating the bullets, readjust the seater to crimp only and do a slight crimp. This is a roll crimp die but if done a little at a time it could be used to take the flare out of the case and that may be enough. Just crimp enough to hold the bullet and not wrinkle the case. You also may get by with running each case into the sizer die enough to squeeze the cse down around the bullet, that is sort of a poor mans taper crimp. If using the sizer you may need to use a bit of lube, be gentle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the info guys I'm going to give klausg's load a try and start experimenting to find something that'll work well.

Thanks again for the info! I really appreciate it.

Jon