Thread: Baked Beans recipe?

Default Baked Beans recipe?

Does anyone have a really good (as in thick & smoky) baked beans recipe? Had a friend who made them from scratch and they were awesome; never did get the recipe (family secret!). I'm home alone for the week and thought I'd thaw some reds and try to make some BB. Never did this before, so elementary tips will be helpful!

Default these never last long when I make them

as taken from the bradley smoker recipe forum-enjoy

Smoked Boston Style Candy-"ized" Bake Beans!
    From Olds

For years I use to make Boston Baked Beans the hard way. You know what I mean. Going through the dried beans looking for small stones, and bad beans. Then there was that over night soaking etc..

One day I came across a brand of baked beans I felt I could work with. Now I have two recipes for these types of beans. One is a heavier non smoked Boston Candy-"ized" Bean. The other is a lighter but it is "smoked." The recipe below is for the smoked/ lighter bean.

If you are into Texas style BBQ beans then these are not for you.

• 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    • 6 oz. Molasses
    • 4 oz. Maple syrup--amber
    • 56 oz Bush Old Style Original Baked Beans
    • 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
    • 2 Teaspoons Dry Mustard
    • 1 pound of quality Bacon
    • 1 good size Onion. Yellow or White. NO SWEET Onion.
    Step One:
    Take about 60% of the pound of bacon along with the onion that is pealed and cut into 6 pieces place them into your smoker and smoke with Maple for 2 hours. Box temperature 225 F degrees.

Step Two:
    Slice the smoked bacon and onion into the size that is shown in the picture.

Click To Enlarge

Add all other ingredients.
    Mix until you are sure the brown sugar is complete dissolved and the color is uniform.

Step 3:
    Next take remaining (non-smoked) bacon and cover the top of the beans. Place in pre-heated oven 350 F degrees.

Step 4
    This is where you can lose it. By over cooking the beans. There is nothing worse than to have a candy-"ized" dried out bean. After 1 to 1 1/2 hours stir your beans. Mixed them up good. After that every 15 minutes you are going to stir the beans again but you are also going to "test" the sauce.

What you are looking for is while the sauce still looks wet and loose in with the hot beans you remove some of the sauce and place it in a glass bowl allowing it to cooL Next spread it up the sides of the bowl, turn the bowl on it side and if the sauce does not run down then your beans are done.

This is why you must ckeck every 15 minutes. You go 15 minutes to long and the moisture of the beans begins to leave. Shortly after that they dry out.

Note in this picture how the sauce on the right hand side did not run down the bowl.

Here is the finished product:

This bean will have a light smoke flavor. Kind of like a sweet little accent. As you can see from final picture these beans have been candy-"ized."

Default Right up my alley!

I come from a Northeast family that did this every week. I still have my mom's beanpot. If you don't have one, llbean has some great ones. Anyway, here is how I do mine. First, I can't find yelloweye beans in Alaska, so I order them, although I have made them with soldier beans. The following are North Woods Beans:

Soak 3 cups of yelloweye beans overnight. (I soak in the bean pot for at least 12 hours) Drain the water in the morning. In a mixing bowl, mix the following:
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup molasses
    1 tsp salt or less
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 heaping tsps dry mustard (Colman's in the yellow tin)
    Add 4-5 cups HOT water and stir until mixed. Pour over beans in pot. Make sure they are covered by the mixture.
    Add 1/4 stick real butter to pot, and a slice or two of bacon cut up in smaller pieces.
    Since you are home alone, add some onion, adds good flavor (only if you are home alone)
    Place top on pot and bake at 300 degrees, 5-6 hours, (I usually go 6), check every hour or so and keep beans covered with water. Take the top off the last 30 minutes or so to brown the top layer if you want. Sometimes I do sometimes not.
    Love these with fish, any game steaks, or hot dogs and sausages. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Default Smoky?

I haven't used smoked bacon, but it could add a great flavor. I might try smoky, peppered bacon next time. I looked but LL Bean doesn't have any bean pots, but do a search for bean pots and you can choose from many others. Let us know how you do.

Default No bean pot...

but can I use a corningware baking dish? Will try out jtm's recipe and let you's know how it goes! Merry Christmas!
    One more thing, if I can't find yelloweye or soldier beans, what else would be okay to use? (something common at the Safeway!).

Default Why not

Give it a try with the corningware. Try Navy or Pea beans, I'm sure they have them at Safeway. Baked beans were so big where I grew up, they were a staple at any hunter's breakfast you went to. Ham, bacon, eggs, sausage,toast, homefries, homemade biscuits, gravy, pancakes, and baked beans. You almost couldn't hunt after all that. They should have handed out nitro pills when you went in. But if you were walking or still hunting all day, you were glad you filled up. Good Luck.

Coke Beans
    Dry beans your choice, bacon , ham, or smoked hock, onion (chop and carmelize, mustard, catsup, some tapioca to thicken, use Coke in place of 3/4 water. Bring to boil, place in oven and bake 325 for 2 1/2 hours or until the beans are to your liking.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

crock pot beans

1-2 lbs beans in crock covered with water. salt

cook on high 2-3 hours till beans are starting to tender up

toss n ham hock, bear shoulder roast, moose knee bone what ever you want... usually at least a large roast

cook on low 5-6 hours add garlic, onion, brown sugar, salt, pepper to taste. cook another hour... if to thin.1 tsp corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup COLD water... then added to beans. and slowly stirred allow to simmer till thick
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Can't wait!

Will try these and report! May be a few months to try them all as I'm sure the household may not be able to handle the "afterburner" effect too often!
    Thanks to everyone and if somebody has another, please share!

Default Okay jtm9,

Beans about to go in oven! Couldn't find any of the beans you listed so had to go with pinto's; hope it'll turn out okay. I live on Kauai so the bean selection at Safeway wasn't too extensive. Will report later today how it went!

Default Results!

Had beans in oven for about 6 hours; really good taste but they were on the "thin", watery side a bit. I started out with 5 cups of water and added another 1/2 cup or so about halfway thru cooking to cover the beans. I think too much water overall. When I took them out of the oven when done, I stirred up the pot and found a bunch of water in the bottom.
    Overall happy with the recipe; next time I'll go with 4 cups of water and stir the pot to check. Really liked the smoked, peppered bacon & onions added into the pot.
    Will make them again!

Default pineapple

I love my beans with pineapple chunks in them..
    Your recipes sound wonderful..
    I am going to do beans here at work tomorrow night.. going to soak the beans here tonight.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years.

Default right on

Glad they turned out okay. As with anything, practice makes perfect.

@ Seminary, Dubuque Ia

I bought some spicy chicken strips that were WAAAAY too spicy. They sat in the freezer for a long time before I diced them up and added them to a pot of beans. No other seasoning needed except little BBQ sauce and they were awsome.

North Pole

This is my mom's recipe. I don't know where she got it, but I grew up on these beans. You can use a bean pot or a slow cooker.

2 cups Navy or small white beans
    5 cups hot water
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 med. onion, chopped
    1/4 lb. bacon, cut up
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup molasses
    2 tsp. dry mustard

Wash and pick over beans. Place in crockpot. Add water, onion, salt, and bacon. Mix well so that bacon is buried in the beans. Cover and cook on low heat overnight. In the morning, drain off water, retaining 3/4 cup. Add remaining ingredients and mix together. Add back retained water. Continue cooking on low an additional 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally.

These won't be thin/runny.

Default The Best Baked Beans EVER!

I know I'm late to reply, but didn't want to pass up sharing this wonderful recipe. It gets tons of compliments every time I make them. It comes from a OLD BH&G cookbook and I always double the recipe cuz you can never get enough baked beans!

1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/4 cup molasses
    1/4 pound salt pork
    1 med onion, sliced

Rinse beans; add to 2 qts cold water. Bring to boiling; simmer 2 minutes; remove from heat; cover; let stand 1 hour. (Or, add beans to water and soak overnight.)
    Add 1/2 tsp salt to beans and soaking water; cover; simmer till tender, 1 hr. Drain, reserving liquid. Measure 2 cups liquid, adding water if needed; nix with sugar, mustard, and molasses.
    Cut salt port in half; score one half. Grind or thin-slice remainder. In 2-qt bean pot or casserole, combine beans, onion, and ground salt pork. Pour sugar-bean liquid over. Top with scored pork.
    Cover; bake at 300F for 5-7 hours. Add more liquid if needed. Serves 8
    For more traditional New England bake beans, decrease brown sugar to 1/3 cup and increase molasses to 1/2 cup.

Don't forget to double everything and I think you and several of your friends will enjoy the best bake beans ever!! Great winter, spring summer or fall! Let me know what you think after you try them!

Default Truely smoked beans

All the recipies sound great and I will surely try a few but the best cooking method for baked beans is smoking whenever I smoke a brisket or ribs or a roast I will put a pot of beans under the meat I always float bacon and onions on top and let the meat juices and spice drip in, ribs are usually in for about 6 hours at 200 deg. and brisket for about 12 hours at 175 deg so on the brisket I put the beans in after about 6 hours and smoke away, cut up the onions and bacon at the end and enjoy.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet