Thread: Buying a gun in Ak

Default Buying a gun in Ak

Hi, I'm going to move to alaska the middle of next year with my wife. She is going to be a teacher in the bush somewhere and i am going to hunt. I was wondering what are the gun laws in AK. What does it take for a none resident of Ak to buy a gun. I am looking to buy a .30-06 and a 12 gauge shotgun and maybe a small .22 handgun. any info would be great

I do believe you need to obtain an Alaska Drivers License or state issued ID card, and establish a physical address in the state.

I believe you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewnnix View Post
    Hi, I'm going to move to alaska the middle of next year with my wife. She is going to be a teacher in the bush somewhere and i am going to hunt. I was wondering what are the gun laws in AK. What does it take for a none resident of Ak to buy a gun. I am looking to buy a .30-06 and a 12 gauge shotgun and maybe a small .22 handgun. any info would be great
    Where are you coming from? Have you ever been to Alaska?

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)=°°=)_)

You've come to the right place. Lots of good experience on here. Listen to what these guys tell you, especially about what type of ammo is easier to find in the bush.

Don't get caught up (like me) in some of the latest and greatest. Old standards like the .338, .375 H&H, .30 - 06, etc are probably the way to go with the .338 being the most recommended.

I'll let some more experience guys answer, but I'd probably buy the following if I were going to live in the bush.

.338 Win mag
    12 ga
    .22 rifle
    .44 mag handgun

really depends on the area. Personally, I like the 300 over the 338. 12 gauge for birds, thats about it. You can take any big game in the state with a 300, 30-06 even as long as you place your shots well.

The best advice I can give to you is take what you can shoot well to the bush, leave the rest at home.

Have a safe trip, your going to love Alaska!

Default For how long?

If you are moving to Alaska permanently, just get an AK drivers license or state ID and you can buy whatever you want. If you are a non-resident, then you can buy a long gun if it is legal in your home state and you can transfer the gun at the AK store you are buying it in with your home state DL or ID with your current address on it. You cannot buy a handgun without AK ID. Hope this helps.

secondary question to this post. after a recent promotion that keeps me here year round instead of seasonally i am not quite a resident however i do have an AK id card but the address is not current and reflects my outa state home. would i still be able to purchase a long gun?( BTW i will be transferring my DL as soon as i make it out of the bush )

Long Guns, yes but I think you have to have an AK Residence to purchase hand guns. Any of the gun dealers can keep you straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by linger27 View Post
    secondary question to this post. after a recent promotion that keeps me here year round instead of seasonally i am not quite a resident however i do have an AK id card but the address is not current and reflects my outa state home. would i still be able to purchase a long gun?( BTW i will be transferring my DL as soon as i make it out of the bush )
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

You can get your DL and go get a gun, even a hand gun, the same day. In Alaska you are a resident the day you have an Alaska address and intend to stay one year or more. Some things, like your AK. resident hunting license, require that you have been an AK. resident for "X" amount of time. You will need to buy a non-res hunting and fishing license for your first year and not be able to hunt some things without a guide at first or do some fishing like dip-net. Go to the Alaska Fish and Game web sight at this link to learn more on that.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/

Our gun laws are among the most gun friendly in the US, if not the most gun friendly. So far, and for the most part, Alaska is still a free state.

The only thing to fret over is how you are gonna pay for all the new toys you will want once your here! The Alaska toy list is long and pricey!

Andy