Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Lanterns

Default Backpacking Lanterns

In the quest for newer lighter gear I'd like to get a compact lantern to add to the pile.

So far I've come across Brunton's line of lantern's, Lucy and the Glorb.

I generally pack my Jetboil anywhere I go so being able to spin a lantern onto the same fuel is a bonus.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86640
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86628
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85283

So what are you guys using?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Most of the times of year that I am backpack hunting theres ample daylight or it gets dark late enough that a light isn't really needed. I do keep a small Petzl headlamp in my pack for those middle of the night trips to the bushes but thats about it.

I have a candle lantern from REI that is pretty nice. One candle lasts me well through a hunting trip and isn't too heavy. There isn't a lot of light off it, but enough to light up my totally sweet Nallo 3 GT!

I always pack my Petzl headlamp but sometimes the woman wants light to do her thing in the tent and the headlamp doesnt always work.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Camping Gaz

I like my Camping Gaz lantern. It's light, compact, and bright and wasn't expensive (~$25). I'm not sure if it can use the same fuel cells as a Jetboil stove, but they do also make a $20 stove that uses the Gaz fuel cells.

Here's a random link to what I'm talking about:

http://yhst-8743696515742.stores.yahoo.net/62808.html

Yep, when I am backpacking it is normally all light out. I have a small headlamp for reading inside the tent.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Dual purpose of packing, wheelin, huntin.

I use a Princeton Tec headlight every day of the winter. The EOS is the best headlight I've found yet. If I want to light up an area I use a Brunton LED lantern. Mine's about as big as a can of Red Bull and lights things up pretty darned well. It's about three years old and one of these days I might need to change the batteries!

Snow Peak Giga lantern, uses the iso fuel and it's very small. Comes in a nice little compact plastic box; very small, very easy, good brightness. I have the igniter and it seems to start the gas only 1/2 of the time; don't know if it's too close, too far, or something else.

Love it.

KRS

camping gaz makes a nice one, much like the one KRS described, I've had mine for nearly 10 years without issue...

go here and search the lanterns, they have quite a few small models

http://www.campingaz.com/

the frosted glass is much better, the clear has too much glare for me...they are easily as bright as a 100 watt bulb...great in the winter too...heats the tent up nicely, just keep a vent open...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I just picked up a Brunton Glorb LED from the Sportsman's Guide. I haven't done anything with it except turn out the lights in the house to test it.

It doesn't seem to throw out as much light as I thought it would, but it's better than sitting in the dark with no light.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    I like my Camping Gaz lantern. It's light, compact, and bright and wasn't expensive (~$25). I'm not sure if it can use the same fuel cells as a Jetboil stove, but they do also make a $20 stove that uses the Gaz fuel cells.

Here's a random link to what I'm talking about:

http://yhst-8743696515742.stores.yahoo.net/62808.html
    ok, i'm a dummy.......I just read your post zeb...shouldda' done that before I posted....lol...the one in your link is a darn good light....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Man, you have got to get one of the Petzl e-lites. Weighs nothing, pack in its own hard case that is smaller than a pack of cowboy killers, and burns on two watch batteries forever. Perfect for around camp, in the tent, etc... I use mine grilling out at night. Just incredible lights and they take up no space at all.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___37828
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I too use just a Petzl e+lite. It's perfect: tiny, bright enough to get the job done, weighs nothing, water resistant, has multiple modes, even red. Spare batteries are easy to pack. I started off using old-fashioned halogen headlamps with the giant battery packs, and through the years I keep buying smaller & lighter options. I don't carry a spare light, but then I do most of my hiking late spring through early fall and don't use a light unless I need to.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

TWB: I just recently purchased this lantern:

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/768190

It has not arrived yet, but I read a lot of reviews and they were all glowing. Everyone carries headlamps backpacking nowadays, but the light from a good lantern is much nicer to me than a headlamp. When sitting around camp it is nice to have a communal light source like a lantern versus headlamps, around camp I find 360 degree lighting nicer than directional lighting, and lanterns will also heat up a tent nicely. (just make SURE you have good ventilation.

Of the lanterns you listed, I didn't like the gorb as it uses butane only which has very poor cold weather performance, canister type's aren't ideal for cold weather either, but you have options such as heating the canister with hand warmers or sitting them in a pot of hot water, with the gorb that does not seem practical. Blended fuels also work better in cold temps than pure butane, and already owning a jet boil I believe you could interchange canisters between stove and lantern, but I'm not sure about that.

The Lucy seems like a fine lantern and I doubt you would go wrong with it, I choose the Primus Micron as it is lighter and slightly brighter, and I like being able to buy from REI because of their return policy, and they don't sell the Lucy

The Coleman is probably a good stove, I have had mixed results with coleman but from what I read that particular one seems ok, but coleman definitely seems to put out more lemons than higher end manufacturers, a lot of people complained about the difficulty in lighting the coleman without damaging the mantles as well.

I'm pretty sure Gaz uses proprietary fuel bottles and is not interchangeable with standard MSR, coleman, ect, so I stay away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    It has not arrived yet, but I read a lot of reviews and they were all glowing.
    That is funny, whether you meant it or not. "glowing". Ha ha.

Around camp I find 360 degree lighting nicer than directional lighting,
    That is what a fire is for

and lanterns will also heat up a tent nicely. (just make SURE you have good ventilation.
    I would advise against this. Especially if you have a lightweight tent as many do not have any fire retardant in the material to keep the weight down.

Now it is time for me to eat crow. That Primus lantern is slick. Tempted to order one myself for regular camping. But for for remote/fly in trips, I am not sure it is worth the hassle of trying to get the isobutane cannisters. You can't fly with them and they are impossible to find in most bush towns. But if you are not flying in, why the heck not. It is small and lightweight. Carrying a few extra isobutane cannisters would not be a big drawback in many instances. And it is on sale too!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've used these primus laterns quite a bit for winter camping. Nice light, bright, and one canister will last about 3 days in the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Second for snowpeak giga

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Snow Peak Giga lantern, uses the iso fuel and it's very small. Comes in a nice little compact plastic box; very small, very easy, good brightness. I have the igniter and it seems to start the gas only 1/2 of the time; don't know if it's too close, too far, or something else.

Love it.

KRS

I have a snowpeak giga and its great. Uses the same fuel canisters as the jetboil. You can fly the jetboil canisters on commercial air now, They recently received their DOT #. The snowpeak canisters have had a DOT rating for a while and you can use those canisters on the jetboil as well. good luck!!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    You can fly the jetboil canisters on commercial air now, They recently received their DOT #. The snowpeak canisters have had a DOT rating for a while and you can use those canisters on the jetboil as well. good luck!!

Greg

That would be awesome! Site your sources. I would love to read up on this. Just now looking over the TSA website, I can find no mention of any rules changing to allow isobutane cannisters on airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    That would be awesome! Site your sources. I would love to read up on this. Just now looking over the TSA website, I can find no mention of any rules changing to allow isobutane cannisters on airlines.
    According to the Jetboil FAQs site http://www.jetboil.com/faqs you are not allowed to bring them on the plane.

OP1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast