Thread: Sako l61r ?

Default Sako l61r ?

Hi I'm new to the site, hopefully I can get a queston answered. On GUNBROKER, I just saw a listing as #118970382 SAKO 270, it has a B&L scope mounted on it, there are several pictures, one of the pics showing the left side of the action appears to have a safety lever at the rear of the bolt like my FN ACTION. Would that be a model L61R? The owner isn't sure what he has, the guns belonged to his grandfather. I'm not really crazy about the scope mounting system if you try and use another system the holes from the existing mounts would have to be filled. THANKS BOB

Bob,

That 270 is in fact a Sako made before the L61 was introduced (1961) and is made on an FN Mauser action.

The rifle is an excellent example of the 1950's Sako/FN rifle. They were made from about 1948 until 1961, when Sako designed their own long action called the L61. This action is what is called the FN Deluxe. It has a two position left side thumb safety on the cocking piece and as can be seen is low enough for scopes. This particular rifle also has a Canjar set trigger on it. (Argh!!)

The scope mounts are a unique set of B&L mounts (came with their scopes), scope and mounts all made in Germany. The mounts contain the adjustments for the scope. They can be removed and they use only the standard screw holse for the top mounted scope bases and the side holes for the receiver mounted sights. You can mount any standard Mauser scope bases on that rifle and just about everybody make them.

The scope and mounts are worth more than the rifle, if you know where to sell them. I just bid on it so if ya want it you should get in the game. I am only interested in the action and stock and will sell the rest.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default New pics

I see he added pictures of the bolt after I talked with him yesterday, he said he was getting a lot of calls. I'm not going to bid, good luck. BOB