Thread: Looking for advice

Default Looking for advice

I am looking for advise on a boat to purchase for next summer. I am interested in using the boat on the Kenai river and would like it to be versitel enough to use on Kenai lake, Skilak lake and in Resarection bay for the Silver run. I would really like a center console aluminum hull that could seat 3 to 4 people. Any advise would be great!

Take a look at the Klamath line of boats. We ran an 18 footer on the Kenai, out of Homer, Resurrection Bay, and PWS. They make a great boat for what you want to do. Also take a look at the Bayrunners. They are very similar in design. How much are you willing to spend?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Well I think I am going to go used and then after really knowing what works well for me then I will buy new.

Charterboat Operator

have to agree with spoiled one on the versatility of the Klamath.
    of the 5 boats i have owned, i did more, and went more places with my 18' Klamath than i have any other boat. you can usually pick up a used one for less that 7K that is ready to go. good luck!

When I was shopping for my first boat, I wanted to fish the Kenia river, hit the lakes and fish the ocean. The main reason I wanted a boat was get away from the crouds. After fishing the Lower Kenia I found it to be way too crouded. It was worse than shore combat fishing because I had 4 lines to worry about and not just mine. Plus I had to try to drive the boat.

After the first year I fished lakes, the ocean and other rivers instead so I could actually fish and relax. I then found I was under powered with a 50 especially in Ocean with rough following seas and rip tides or faster river current. I did have a detune kit that took 5 minutes to apply when I did fish the Kenia. Got the crap scared out of me a few times so I re-powered my boat. Fished my boat for a few more years until I discovered my family and I really love the ocean. It's the ultimate get away for my familiy and we can really get away form the crouds. We just bought a new 240 Alaskan Hewescraft and I hope its my last boat.

Where I am going with this is that there really is not an ALL ARROUND BOAT. You gotta ask yourself and family. Do you really want to fish the Kenia? How much will you fish the Kenia? If your gonna spend more time on the Kenia and love fishing the river then get a kenia boat that is wide, little dead rise with a tiller. If your gonna spend more time on the lakes ocean and other rivers, I would find a friend whom has a Kenia boat and get a boat to do the other things you would really like to do. Not trying to sell you a boat but I do have my old boat up for sale. http://www.907bigboytoys.com/index.php?a=2&b=1791 Up until we decided the ocean was our home and bought a new boat, it was the best option for me and it slayed alot of Reds while dipping the Kenia. I did go thru alot of phases and modifications to get there. I don't need to sell it but, its not worth hanging onto as I have little use for it with our short Alaskan Summers. Bottom line is, What kind of fishing do you really like to do and what percentage of time will you dedicate to that fishery? Alaska fishing is awesome like no other place in the world. There is alot of water and different fisheries. Too many choices for such a short summer. Hope you have a good boating and fishing experience with you and your family in the years to come.

Merry Christmas
    Mark

Thanks for the offers and great advise. I am going to have to think it all over and make a decision in the next few months. I will have to keep that Tracker in mind.