Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two shot zero...anyone do this?

Default Two shot zero...anyone do this?

I've bought the magnetic Leupold boresighter, & haven't shot my rifle yet, need to set up a target, but it claims that you can zero your rifle in two shots...anyone else use the Leupold boresighter?

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    I've bought the magnetic Leupold boresighter, & haven't shot my rifle yet, need to set up a target, but it claims that you can zero your rifle in two shots...anyone else use the Leupold boresighter?

I haven't used one, I take the bolt out look through the barrel and adjust the scope to center on the target at 50 yards. Then I shoot three shots at the center of the target and hold the crosshair on the center and adjust scope to center of the group. I am now sighted in and only need to make minor adjustments at 100 or 200 yards. If you haven't tried this method it works really well and saves alot of ammo.

Default hehehe...

the Lupold claims to put you on target in two shots...

I've done the bolt out barrell zero, & there's not bench rests out here, (nor have I built yet) so this is far more convient & less expensive...

the bore sighter works great.............set up your scope with the bore sighter and shoot your bullseye @ 17-25yds, then adjust your scope to the bullet hole. it's that simple.

it is still important to shoot at the range you intend to zero...... i sight all my rifles at 200yds.

the leupold is handy to carry to recheck your zero (read it after sight in, and then know where it needs to be for your zero). that way if you bump or drop your rifle you can recheck w/o firing a shot!

happy trails.
    jh

Default quick zero

if you go to sportsmans wherehouse and look for the book of big game hunting round by "percentage tags".
    You can zero most big game rifles in at 27yds due to the ballistics and this book tells you where you should be on the target with infor for bullet drop for weight and calibers. I just copied the targets in the book and sighted the appropriate rifle in with the appropriate target. It was really painless.
    book is 20.00.

Quote Originally Posted by afcs View Post
    if you go to sportsmans wherehouse and look for the book of big game hunting round by "percentage tags".
    You can zero most big game rifles in at 27yds due to the ballistics and this book tells you where you should be on the target with infor for bullet drop for weight and calibers. I just copied the targets in the book and sighted the appropriate rifle in with the appropriate target. It was really painless.
    book is 20.00.
    What is the name of the book?

thanks

kingfisherktn

Default shooting holes

That works great once I have one sighted in I just shoot a hole on a blank paper then try to drive the next ones through it. doesn't leave much room for error
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default book

the target book for north american big game.
    published by percentage tags.

charlie middleton, and pat moran.

I love the Leupold boresighter! I only have 1 bolt gun and no need for a tool of any kind for that. But I have 5 scoped guns, 4 levers and 1 auto, that you can't just look down the breach of and use the boresighter on them.

I have tried the "see where it hits and move the scope to the hole" thing and it takes me a bunch of ammo without a gun vice. I get lost in all the click counting and math involved and got to start over. . .and over. . .and. . .!
    Am I missing a key part of the process?

Andy

yes you are! don't make this complicated.....it's easy. use your boresighter and adjust to zero. sandbag your rifle for stability then, at short range (17-25 yds) fire your shot at the bullseye. NOW adjust your scope from the bullseye target to the hole in the target. that is your new "zero".

you are now sighted in with two shots! move your target to 100yds and fine tune your zero at that range. i like to sight all my rifles at 200 yds, that way no matter what i pull from the rack....they are ready to go. knowing the caliber and load combination i can make mental long range adjustments.

happy trails.
    jh

In theory you should only need one shot to Zero a rifle in as long as you on the paper. I fire 3 shot groups and go from there as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    I personally have used the Leupold Borsighter you speak of and IMO its a POS! All it does is get you on paper which I do equally well with the method described above (pulling the bolt and adjusting the scope to the target I see through the bore). With that said using a good rest and a having your rifle equipped with a good scope and mounts it shouldn't take but a few shots to be where you need to be at 100 yards once your on paper. Once your at that point then you can move your target out to 200 or whatever you sight your gun in at 100. I hav been told that the lazer bore sighters with individual cases wrk bettr but I cant ever see spending that much money to boresight a gun, I think of the process as a challenge to see how few a shots I can get it done in. I have literally mounted a scope at the range and sighted it in, in less than 5-6 shots, it aint hard.

alaskacub......the nice thing about the leupold boresighter is that it not only sets your "zero", but will recheck it as needed. further, it works on levers, auto's, and pumps. it is also dandy for a resight on irons (open sights).

with custom ammo costing $50.00-$100.00+ a box, using the boresighter can be a big savings.

check out eBay........buy one used!

happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    yes you are! don't make this complicated.....it's easy. use your boresighter and adjust to zero. sandbag your rifle for stability then, at short range (17-25 yds) fire your shot at the bullseye. NOW adjust your scope from the bullseye target to the hole in the target. that is your new "zero".

you are now sighted in with two shots! move your target to 100yds and fine tune your zero at that range. i like to sight all my rifles at 200 yds, that way no matter what i pull from the rack....they are ready to go. knowing the caliber and load combination i can make mental long range adjustments.

happy trails.
    jh
    Thatís just what I have done. The trouble I have is the gun moves when I am moving the redial to the hole so if I have not counted clicks . . . I'm lost and got to start over! It works fine, just never in one shot for me like everyone says it works for them.

Andy

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    That’s just what I have done. The trouble I have is the gun moves when I am moving the redial to the hole so if I have not counted clicks . . . I'm lost and got to start over! It works fine, just never in one shot for me like everyone says it works for them.

Andy
    Na Andy your not lost...

plug another hole in the paper

at 25 yards SCOPE SET AT
    1/4 click @ 100 yards TAKES 4 CLICKS TO GO 1/4" AT 25 YARDS

say you shoot. 1 inch low and 2 inches to the right....

to move your scope up with your target at 25 yards. you will move 16 up and 32 clicks left.clicks from there. you get lost guess. and nail another hole..

don't forget to tap your scope every few clicks before firing just in case a part is slow to move in the cold. i always do one then the other..

all bore sights do is put you on the paper i have Leupold and taco and a full set of lazers... there is no. substitute for shooting.

most high cal rifles zeroed at 25 yards are back on the same point or very near it at 200 yards... for instance MY 300 win.... dead on at 25 yards
    is 1/4 inch high at 200

but 2 3/8 high and 1 1/8 to the left at one hundred..

if you are competition shooting this matters if you are looking for a 10 inch kill zone on a moose your in it...if you go 2 inch high at ONE hundred yards you will be able to shoot any large AK animal and stay in the kill zone...

people forget when changing shooting distance. bullets do not fly straight but up and down and in a circular pattern..

www.shoot.com is a free down load that will show you on a target where you are hitting with gun and load...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

alaskacub......the nice thing about the leupold boresighter is that it not only sets your "zero", but will recheck it as needed. further, it works on levers, auto's, and pumps. it is also dandy for a resight on irons (open sights).

with custom ammo costing $50.00-$100.00+ a box, using the boresighter can be a big savings.

check out eBay........buy one used!

happy trails.
    jh
    If it works that well for you then great, I found it to be completely useless and absolutely no way I would RELY on it.

This is another issue that I see as a constant problem with hunters these days. They dont want to shoot their guns too many times at the range cuz either they kick to much (recoil) or ammo is too expensive. I can assure you that ideology will lead to having lost animals shot poorly or not shot at all in the field. More guys need to learn how their equipment works and dedicate more time at the range shooting them before they head to the field. I saw that plain as day when I was up on the Steese hunting Caribou with the hoards this past Dec. I cant count how many guys I saw shoot at Caribou and not hit them, and I am not talking about long shots like the ones my pard and I took, I am talking at 150 yards or less. The Leupy Boresighter might be neccesary for autos, levers and pumps (none of which I shoot), but for a bolt gun I use the old school method (even after owning the Leupold boresighter) and have had no difficulty in sighting in any of my long guns.

Vince described the process quite well for a beginner and its not hard in anyway shape or form. If a fella is at the range and having trouble all he has to do is ask someone there for help, many guys would take the 5 minutes to help a guy get on target.

But I dont buy into the hunting show commercials about things like the Leupold Boresighter, been there done that, and what it guarantees to do I found to be less than to my standard of accuracy. If I want to recheck my zero, I'll stretch a target out there and shoot it as opposed to slapping the magnetized contraption from Leupold to my barrel and feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Have to agree with Cub. Manually (removing bolt and looking down bore) boresighting is fine. It has never failed me at 25 yds or even 50. Why get a lazer?

Some assumptions here about a 2 shot zero... first is that your rifle is a tack driver, next is that your rifle is a tack driver with a particular bullet and load. If you have never previously fired the rifle or the particular bullet and load than you dont know squat after 2 shots. with the NF scope I have, I can sight a rifle in with 1 shot if... I was confident in the accuracy of rifle and load. But, with a new rifle or a new load I like to use at least 3 shot goups to see where the average is, then confirm with another group. Then I think it's good to fire some cold barrel barrel shots without adjusting the scope to see where and how consistant that first shot is landing because that's when it counts. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    If it works that well for you then great, I found it to be completely useless and absolutely no way I would RELY on it.

This is another issue that I see as a constant problem with hunters these days. They dont want to shoot their guns too many times at the range cuz either they kick to much (recoil) or ammo is too expensive. I can assure you that ideology will lead to having lost animals shot poorly or not shot at all in the field. More guys need to learn how their equipment works and dedicate more time at the range shooting them before they head to the field. I saw that plain as day when I was up on the Steese hunting Caribou with the hoards this past Dec. I cant count how many guys I saw shoot at Caribou and not hit them, and I am not talking about long shots like the ones my pard and I took, I am talking at 150 yards or less. The Leupy Boresighter might be neccesary for autos, levers and pumps (none of which I shoot), but for a bolt gun I use the old school method (even after owning the Leupold boresighter) and have had no difficulty in sighting in any of my long guns.

Vince described the process quite well for a beginner and its not hard in anyway shape or form. If a fella is at the range and having trouble all he has to do is ask someone there for help, many guys would take the 5 minutes to help a guy get on target.

But I dont buy into the hunting show commercials about things like the Leupold Boresighter, been there done that, and what it guarantees to do I found to be less than to my standard of accuracy. If I want to recheck my zero, I'll stretch a target out there and shoot it as opposed to slapping the magnetized contraption from Leupold to my barrel and feel warm and fuzzy inside.
    Yeah, this was kinda my point in the earlier post. I can't see why you would want to speed up the process . The more you get to shoot the better. See my post for sighitng in my kimber .308. One shot and it was moved to zero, of course I shot alot more after that . After I get sighted in from the bags I start shooting while in all sorts of positions and conditions. I even go during heavy wind and rain to see the effects.

I do however understand the expense of shooting but for most of us, this is what we do. I hunt and fish, I don't play golf anymore or play softball or really anything else outside of family outings so when I go to the range or practice my shooting it is my hobby. Shooting my rifles, shooting my bow, hunting and fishing, that is what I do and what I enjoy. There is no way I would rely on a borsighter and a piece of paper when I got to my hunting destination instead of actually shooting. You owe it to yourself and to the animal to be sure nothing has shifted by shooting your weapon. To each his own though, live and let live. I hope it works out.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Have to agree with Cub. Manually (removing bolt and looking down bore) boresighting is fine. It has never failed me at 25 yds or even 50. Why get a lazer?

Some assumptions here about a 2 shot zero... first is that your rifle is a tack driver, next is that your rifle is a tack driver with a particular bullet and load. If you have never previously fired the rifle or the particular bullet and load than you dont know squat after 2 shots. with the NF scope I have, I can sight a rifle in with 1 shot if... I was confident in the accuracy of rifle and load. But, with a new rifle or a new load I like to use at least 3 shot goups to see where the average is, then confirm with another group. Then I think it's good to fire some cold barrel barrel shots without adjusting the scope to see where and how consistant that first shot is landing because that's when it counts. JMO
    i think the original question was about bore sighting with two shots (and getting on paper). it works, it's smart, and it saves ammunition. BUT it's only bore sighted! this isn't a finished zero by any means, but it will put the shooter on target. as i previously stated, it is important to zero at the ranges normally hunted.

this device also works to recheck zero.........this can be handy at camp, instead of blasting away and scaring game out of the country.

this bore sighter is NOT a substutite for practice, and it was never designed to be. in the end, the shooter must decide how to control the bullet, and it is his responsibility alone. their is no "shoot and release"!

happy trails.
    jh

this device also works to recheck zero.........this can be handy at camp, instead of blasting away and scaring game out of the country.

Thats just it, it is not an accurate device to check or recheck your zero. Even with my crosshairs lined up exactly with the crosshairs on the Leupold device all it meant was that I was somewhere on paper. Since it doesn't insert into the bore theres way too much freeplay to confirm anything pertaining to accuracy. It will get you on paper, I'll give the device that, but like I said earlier, so will a peek down the bore combined with a peek through the scope to confirm it when boresighting. To each his own, I just dont want a rookie to go running out and buy one of these and then not be aware of what it will and wont do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast