Thread: Minimum post count to participate in Swap n Sell?

Default Minimum post count to participate in Swap n Sell?

This thread was started (and I deleted some messages accidentally, sorry....still learning the software) in the SnS forum under someones for sale ad, and I felt it needed to be moved if discussion was needed. This was brought up recently, and I suggest reading the linked thread if you did not see the discussion.

AK1022, I think you need to start putting a little more effort into your postings. What you stated above does nobody any good....

At least give a little info on what you have, a basic description, who makes it, condition, maybe reason for sale, etc.
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 12-21-2008 at 08:23.

Default posts

i think he doesnt checks the forum, he posts and ditches

i guess thats the reason why he puts his number down

Might be a business owner trying to pick up some free advertising.

Default Just called him

The ar-10 is a Remington R-25 new

Default he is not a business.

I know him and he is just a busy man. Usually has lots of thing going on. I guess that is why he give email and phone number. I need to call him anyways sometime and will give him a heads on more info needed.

I also know him, he is in sales and finance and has been for many years! There is no excuse for him to not be able to type a proper for sale ad, we are all busy, but we find the time, he should do the same

My thoughts on this is, you should have at least 50 posts under your belt before you can use the S&S. Seen to many come in make a post and run. I know it's not "all" of them but a good number of them do.

my 0.02

I also would like to see a minimum post count. Maybe not 50 (or at least not 50 "posts" i.e. maybe count the Gen. Disc. forum toward the 50) but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing a 20-25 or so minimum post count. If people just want to sell stuff so badly there is 907bbt.

I for one like having an idea of who I am buying from and whether or not they are trustworthy. This, I feel, can be found by the amount of time/their various posts around the forum.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default 30 productive posts, minimum for For Sale forum

Hunt AK:

I beleive my comment about having a minimum of 30 Productive posts in order to post an ad For Sale, in the For Sale forum was one of the ones deleted.

I can see that this idea is gaining steam. This is in order to protect the members here from internet scams/fraud. people are very concerned in this day and age about scams. If sellers want anomimous, they let them pay for a newspaper classifed ad. Many times that will not work as well and another fee must be paid if the item does not sell right away.

It is just common sense to buy from a seller who is known on the forum rather than a complete stranger who does not answer P.M.'s or emails. M.H.O.

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    Hunt AK:

I beleive my comment about having a minimum of 30 Productive posts in order to post an ad For Sale, in the For Sale forum was one of the ones deleted.
    Cold, I apologize for that. Thanks for reposting your thoughts....

Default post

will this count as one post?

Default post

Yes it will

Just wanted a point.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I tend to agree that a minimum number of posts should be required before a member is allowed to buy or to sell on the forum. This is common practice on a number of the forum I frequent, and I do think it helps cut down on the opportunistic types out there just joining up to sell or buy one thing and then split.

After all, this is a type of “community” and as such we should encourage prospective participants into joining the “community” rather than speeding thru for a “quickie” if you know what I mean……

Come on in and get to know us. Have a look around, contribute to the discussions, bring some value to the forums and then after you have been here awhile, feel free to utilize the swap and sell section of the forum. I am thinking 40 or 50 posts sounds about right.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I would post a lot more but my knowledge of Alaska hunting, camping, and fishing is zero.....really only what I read on here. That is why I read more and don't post my opinions as much.

Call it self respect preservation but I don't want to post a lot in threads where I know very little about the subject, and only wind up making myself look like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Spencer View Post
    I would post a lot more but my knowledge of Alaska hunting, camping, and fishing is zero.....really only what I read on here. That is why I read more and don't post my opinions as much.

Call it self respect preservation but I don't want to post a lot in threads where I know very little about the subject, and only wind up making myself look like an idiot.

Doesn't stop the majority of us.

I do know how you feel. I have probably deleted as many replies before I send them as I have posted. Sometimes when you proof read them they don't look as good typed as they did in my head.

But don't be afraid to jump in the fray though.

I have made contact with a few people to purchase things but never pulled the trigger. I am pretty picky who I will buy anything from. I do notice a lot of people that sell multiple times. Maybe on top of a minimum post requirement, how about a rating system or seller/buyer feedback section.

Default minimum post count isn't a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Spencer View Post

1) Scott: Great post, so straightforward and honest, and I understand exactly what you say. I've had the subject of 'outdoors Alaska' remind of of exchanging with others on the subject of computers/the-Internet because with both, in just a medium sized room:
    - there is something you know or have discovered, that no one else present knows, and
    - there is also someone else in the room that knows at least slightly more than you, on the general subject of what you're presently speaking of.

2) to all: After reading Scott's post, isn't this exactly the best kind of guy for all concerned, to have been given access rights to post in the SwapNSell forum?

Any minimum-post cutoff will have that serious flaw, and the vBulletin software that his board uses might not have page-view counts stored in your record, making it hard to identify a good-lurker-member from a drive-by-poster. Maybe account-membership age could do this better. Though admittedly crude, it makes more sense than the minimum-post thing.