Thread: coyote bait

Default coyote bait

This oughta attract coyotes . Any suggestions on a good set ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lottery 166.jpg  

Actually, you'll find dogs to be very weary of this bait. It's not natural to them. We used pigs and havent had one come into the set. Nothing but birds....birds and more birds.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Actually, you'll find dogs to be very weary of this bait. It's not natural to them. We used pigs and havent had one come into the set. Nothing but birds....birds and more birds.
    Hmm , interesting . . .

We found it odd too, we have a moose set (permit) and they are allover it. But 100 yards away is the pig guts and carcases, NOTHING! We spoke to Rick Ellis and he has the same problem with some "domestic" baits he has set.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I never trapped here but sure did in Arizona, took about 30 coyote a year for about 15 years. Down there nothing works better than coyote pee and gland mixed together, they cant help but get a good smell of it to see what other coyote is in their ground. Even then if you leave any people smell around at all they may come in but will never set foot on a pan! They are very smart and if it don't feel and smell just right they are far to careful to get. We could not use snares in Arizona but I often wished I could as they will circle a dead calf like that about 50 to 100 foot out and never come in. I wished I could set a bunch of snares in the paths between the brush out about the 50-100 foot range. Never did it so I don't know if it would work or even if coyotes act the same in Alaska as in Arizona but maybe it's a tip for you. I do know coyote don't sing here like they do in Arizona and have wondered why that is, maybe due to having the wolf as a competitor here

Good trapping!
    Andy

If you found that calf in the Point Mackenzie area, then the coyotes and foxes will love it....

Set the bait in thick brush. Then snare there trails going into it. I have found that to be the best way when using a bait station.

I would tend to set your traps/snares in a large circle away from the bait. Canines tend to circle before moving in. Again this is just my experience.

Thanks a bunch guys . . . I'll set out to do just that . Your experiances and suggestions will be put to the test . Sounds logical to me . . I didn't find that calf , it was offered . I figure , what the heck . . It can't hurt . I'll keep ya's up dated on any activities . Good luck

I got them to come close when i skinned the calf. Was not targeting dogs though.

Yes, skeining, gutting, or anything that will make it more like a predator kill than something a human staged there should help. Also should help the smell travel better in the cold air up here. Good luck.

Andy

Default Non-natural bait - BEEF LIVER!

We used beef livers from Freddies when we started trapping down the arm. Swear it was the best bait ever, the yotes and others LOVED it. Maybe we were just lucky and found some stupid critters but it worked magically and it was CHEAP. TOday we baited marten sets with beef stew chunks, i'll let you know if it works.

Supporting Member

Default Coyote Bait

I have better luck with "unnatural" baits by chopping them up into parts and wiring the baits down so they can't be carried off. Canines seem to come into the baits better when they can work pieces off the bait.
    The idea mentioned earlier by one of the other posters about snaring in a circle around your bait also works well for me. Seems every approaching canine is worried about what else might be feeding in the area. Pecking order/food chain and all that I suspect. Due to the amount of caution they (the canids) use when approaching the baits, try making your snaring circle at least 50 yards out with your snares set perpendicular to the bait. This distance will also help you avoid snaring birds. Good luck!