Thread: The 257Wby Mag - What a Cartridge

Default The 257Wby Mag - What a Cartridge

The 257Wby is one of the most versatile cartridges if Big Heavy Dangerous game are left out of the mix. Even though the 257Wby has killed everything from Cape buffalo to Grizzly bear which is not the best choice of cartridge on these animals. Now the 100gr TSX and the TTSX along with other premium bullets have made the 257Wby very versatile if you are considering every thing but heavy dangerous game. But make no mistake, with these monolithic bullets the 257Wby can and has dropped dangerous game in their tracks.

One thing for sure there is no factory production cartridge that shoots flatter than the 257Wby mag. So if I am talking about most hunting except for Big Dangerous game I say the 257Wby is one of the most versatile. Having hunted Big Dangerous game I would say the 257wby using premium bullets like the TSX, I would not be afraid of dangerous game being in the area where I was hunting lesser game.

When you consider that my 100gr TTSX load is well over 3000fps at 200yds which is the limit for over 90% of hunters and the distance they take most game they shoot, then the results when using a 257Wby are simply phenomenal when game is dispatched. The monolithic bullet has elevated the 257Wby to even higher highs than it already occupies. It allows for close shots at these velocities without fear of the bullet coming apart and has enough velocity for these to open up at long range.

When I am moving the TSX or TTSX at 3624fps out of my Mark V 257Wby, it becomes even more versatile and at a greater level than Roy imagined. I don't think any one of my friends who use the 257Wby for years could have visualized the 257Wby being raised to a higher level than it had already obtained, but the TSX and TTSX have added to it's already fantastic potential. There was a reason Roy liked it the best of all his cartridges even over the 270Wby which was his first and the 300wby that is so popular.

I have dropped Elk, Black Bear, Mule Deer, Whitetail deer, Russian Boar, and Coyote with the 257Wby and fixing to own my third 257Wby, the previous two, a Vanguard and a Mark V Synthetic. It truly stands alone in the quarter bore and makes it's self a contender even among the bigger bores.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Greetings BT

I've been experimenting with the 257 Weatherby cartridge and the 100gr TSX as well. Took me a while to find the right jump to the lands on the OAL, but I found it. Mine likes a hefty dose of RL-22, and man is it accurate. I'm careful to let my barrel cool between shots...this round is a cooker.

Last spring I took my 257 Weatherby to black bear camp, but didn't get a chance to use it because we got weathered-off. I also took it early fall to Kodiak for a mountain goat hunt, but we got weathered-off that one as well (after a nine hour machette hike to spike camp at 2500')...kind of a crummy weather year for Alaska. I won't take the 257 to moose camp. My 375H&H has been the MVP for that trip for at least fifteen years, and it won't ever be benched during the month of September in Alaska...took a nice interior grizzly this year with a 270gr TSX...dropped him in his tracks with a 75yd downhill shot through the shoulders.

Next spring I'll again take my 257 Weatherby with 100gr TSX's for black bear...I do like this cartridge. Hopefully I'll hit the weather right, and it will all come together so that I can get a field report to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I've been experimenting with the 257 Weatherby cartridge and the 100gr TSX as well. Took me a while to find the right jump to the lands on the OAL, but I found it. Mine likes a hefty dose of RL-22, and man is it accurate. I'm careful to let my barrel cool between shots...this round is a cooker.

Last spring I took my 257 Weatherby to black bear camp, but didn't get a chance to use it because we got weathered-off. I also took it early fall to Kodiak for a mountain goat hunt, but we got weathered-off that one as well (after a nine hour machette hike to spike camp at 2500')...kind of a crummy weather year for Alaska. I won't take the 257 to moose camp. My 375H&H has been the MVP for that trip for at least fifteen years, and it won't ever be benched during the month of September in Alaska...took a nice interior grizzly this year with a 270gr TSX...dropped him in his tracks with a 75yd downhill shot through the shoulders.

Next spring I'll again take my 257 Weatherby with 100gr TSX's for black bear...I do like this cartridge. Hopefully I'll hit the weather right, and it will all come together so that I can get a field report to you.
    That is so cool about the Grizzly Doc. and I hope you get to take your 257Wby on the black bear hunt and get one. You will not be disappointed in the results at all.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Remington is offering this round in some of their factory rifles as well now. A great round.

Default Indeed!

Remington is offering this caliber in its special addition LSS
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_LSS.asp
    I have this same rifle in .280, and its a lovely looking firearm, and a real shooter.
    I want one

Default Recoil

What kind of recoil does this rifle have? I am think about this in the Vangaurd for my wife. I was also thinking about a 25-06. Thanks for the help.
    Tim

Recoil is quick, but light. The Vanguard is a really good choice.

I picked up a Rem 700 SS SPS in 257 Roy and I have officially renamed it the 257 Lazer. I shot a Caribou up off the Steese at what we estimated (Rangefinder didn't like the cold) to be 415 yards sitting on my butt in the snow with no rest and the flatness of the 257 Lazer's trajctory is unbelievable. I am shooting the Factory loaded 100 grain TSX's in mine and it shoots about .5" MOA @100 yards, a real tack driver. Was quite impressed with its killing ability for a 25 cal on a 300 lb Caribou, cant see it not killing anything I put a 100 grain TSX pill into, no matter the critter. I have a Mcmillan Edge on order for it and I slapped some lightweight Talleys and a VX-III 3.5-10x40 on it, it is definately a cool rig! I will give it som emor chances to kill in this coming year, but I dont want to neglect my Kimber too much!....grin

My 257 Weatherby is a custom build on a Remington 700 that I put together with my gun smith awhile back. It has a fluted 26" barrel from Dan Lilja and a Timney trigger. Like you guys, I also have a Leupold VX-III 3.5x10 on it with lite-wt Talleys. This year I also changed out the firing pin to a lite-wt model and dropped some more weight.

The question and answer about recoil is always so subjective. To me the 257 Weatherby is a pleasure to shoot.

I am looking forward to a field performance on my first game animal taken with it. However, I am concerned about meat damage from that small bullet moving so fast. Could those of you who have taken game with the 257 Roy comment on the meat damage?

I didn't hit the shoulders on my bou so I had no meat loss whatsoever, but I will add that I think a fella needs to pick his pills carefully when selecting a bullet for the 257 Roy, its gotta be a bullet that holds togther well at the velocities that the 257 shoots. This is the internal carnage from a 100 grain TSX after impact at 400+ yards.

Yes, pick the bullet and now there is even a TTSX which is really a fine addition to the 257Wby arsenal of bullets for this fast BEE. I killed a 420pound Russian bore with a 257wby and the bullet went just in front of the right rear ham and exited out the left shoulder at 55yds and the big boy fell right in his tracks. What was so amazing was the damage to vital organs that the bullet did not even pass through but still destroyed and the exit hole was the size of a golf ball.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks for the picture AkCub...I think you posted it this fall, and I enjoyed looking at it then as well. I'm assuming that is the exit wound side of the heart (BTW nice shot sir). The lungs don't look as bad as I thought they would...I've seen much worse. What did the exit wound look like on the far side of the rib cage? How destructive was it?

The exit was about the size of a half dollar. Chest was full of blood when I opened him up, didn't examine the organs too much more (twas chilly on top -10F) but my shot landed a wee bit lower than I wanted it to. I was guessing 325 yards not 415 and we didn't range him till afterwards (happened pretty fast and we were busted),I didn't hold over far enough to be truthfull but the flat trajectory of the 257 Roy saved my butt. It did also take a chunk of the far elbow bone with it on its way out too. Bou went maybe 20 yards.........in circles!...grin

You can see the bloody armpit on the exit side in this pic, and I was shooting downhill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for taking the time to share the additional information AKCub...and I hear you on the being tired and cold part of the story (and I know it well). I hope to some day provide as good of a field report for the 257 Weatherby as you have done. Thank you sir.