Thread: Deer Hunting in Alaska

Default Deer Hunting in Alaska

Never been to Alaska but have herd there are no deer except Sitka Blacktails in the southern areas.

Are there any mule deer in the the extreme southeast? That's not too far from BC.

How much of the state has Sitka Blacktail?

Can resident hunters buy a Sitka Blacktail tag over the counter or is it mostly drawing?

Don't know about the Southeast and any mulies, but there are plenty of Sitka blacktails.
    Nonres can purchase tags over the counter. Depending on your hunt location the limit can be as high as 5 deer per season.
    Deer are found on Kodiak, Prince William Sound, Raspberry, Afognak, and Southeast.
    Excellent eating by the way. Early season finds them high in the hills/mountains. Late season the snow usually drives them down to the beaches but your days are shorter.
    BK

Default Blacktails

It's my understanding that blacktails are related to mule deer. As far as I know, there are no true mule deer in Alaska but a call to the Game & Fish should answer that question for sure.

Sitka blacktails are usually thought of (by the State) as being "less than " some other animals - hence the liberal limits and "same day air" hunting some places (like Kodiak).

Be warned, the weather gets to be a real problem later in the year and during the rut, bucks are not very tasty (to say the least).

I really enjoy hunting during the early season as the deer are high (where there is less bug problem), pressure is low (in my experience), and spot & stalk is a real option.

Default muleys

There is no mule deer in any part of the state. thats a fact... rumor has a long time ago one was spotted up by maCarthy, ,in that valley that is next to the boarder of canada. but as far as the S.E is concerned ...its 0 muledeer.. 100 % blacktail.

Default Not a fact

There are Mule Deer east of Ketchikan in the Misty Fjords ... occasionally ... several have been taken in history and there have been confirmed Mule Deer sightings (not long ago) around Hyder .... a Mule Deer Doe and 2 fawns, on Mt Dollie on the AK side of the border ....

Some Deer that have been taken in the Misty in years past are reported to look like 'bench legs' .... Blacktail / Muledeer cross

Default Photos please

Johnnie if you could muster up a photo or two I'd be very grateful. Even just some photos of bucks out of the Misty area would be cool. Even a few drops of Mule deer blood mixed in should produce some great racks.

I really like the benchleg bucks out of Washington and Oregon.

I know that you probably would have posted em if you had em....so anybody else got a buck photo from Misty area please post.

But to anwer the original posters questions.

Your out-of-state tag will run you $150 per deer. If you buy a $225 black bear tag you can use it for a deer if you want and that allows you to do a combo hunt with a single tag. Just make sure your harvest tag for deer is used. Generally SE Alaska has the highest harvest numbers with Unit 4 being the highest. That doesn't necessarly represent the highest quality animals though.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Mule deer hunting is my passion and it is one thing I'm afraid I would miss if I moved to Alaska, course I can't hunt mule deer in Florida either.

Could I pretend Sitka Blacktails are mulies?? LOL!

Default Honestly

We'll if accessing the deep backcountry and chasing a large game animal worthy of great respect gets you excited then times that by four......thats four tags and you have August through October Sitka Blacktail hunting. These bucks are not to be laughed at.......an old Sitka thats anything north of four years old often knows his stuff.

The nice thing is they are not as big as an old mature Mule deer. Notice I didn't say they were small because a mature Sitka is not. It is manageable for a guy to carry one out properly field dressed. Throw in a temperate rain forest, no roads, and the densest population of Brown bear around and all of a sudden deer hunting gets really exciting. Not to mention as a resident you can hunt Mt. Goat every year, Ect....................

Sorry I just don't think you'll convince me to leave Alaska to hunt a Mule deer. Not that you were trying to at all but thats just the flip side to your rational.

Alaska is kinda a package deal honestly. Please don't feel at all hesitant about moving on up and enjoying everything there is to "The Great Land".

Default mule deer?

Mule deer? What are those?

Seems that after I discovered sheep hunting, mt goat hunting, caribou hunting....

What's the question again?

Anyway, you'll get over it. Trust me.

Here's a good thread on deer hunting in the two big hot spots in Alaska.. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=Kodiak+POW

I've hunted mulies and I've hunted Sitkas.. I'll take Sitka hunting any day.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default S.E. bucks

Biggest I've seen in S.E. dressed 252# on Revilla island.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Biggest I've seen in S.E. dressed 252# on Revilla island.
    You know darn well that was one of those yellow rumped critters off Etolin.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 12-22-2008 at 22:15. Reason: spelling

Default Mulies in Alaska

It's been reported recently that mulies have been spotted in the Delta Junction area. It's believed they migrated from the Yukon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...453&type=story

No season on them yet that I'm aware of.