Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Marten Bait

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default Marten Bait

    Looking for some suggestions for Marten Bait in the Interior. I am using salmon scraps and some table scraps but having no luck.

    I am using both ground and pole sets in an area with lots of Marten sign but nothing is hitting my sets. I wanted to see what others are using so I can rule out the bait as a problem.

    Thanks for any suggestions....

  2. #2
    Member DanAK23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    56

    Default

    I use grouse, rabbit, and duck remains... I'am trapping in an area with little sign and still manage to get about a marten a week. Also, what kind of lure are you using? I use gusto and laugemans big sky sable oil.

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default scent or no scent?

    Is scent a necessity or luxury? I would like to trap this days off and am wondering if moose scraps, old herring, and freezer burnt salmon pieces that I have collected will work as a decent bait for marten.
    I've also got a pheasant wing and a few CD's I was going to hang.
    Would rendered bear grease help any?
    BK

  4. #4

    Default

    I use tainted beaver almost exclusively no lure. In the past I have used left over pieces of salmon, char, one year I even used dog food. All of them have worked fine. What kind of sets you using? Out here these guys don't do lot of climbing most of my sets are boxes with 120's either on trees close to the ground or on the ground with tip up's.
    Chuck

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    se ak
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I use salmon heads, beaver, ducks (minus the breast meat). As far as lures go I like the Gusto. My boxes are set up to hold a #1 jump. It seems if I can get them near the set its a done deal.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    151

    Default BKMAIL Carefull!!! Read regs before you go

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I would like to trap this days off and am wondering if moose scraps, old herring, and freezer burnt salmon pieces that I have collected will work as a decent bait for marten.
    BK
    BK,

    Just a heads ups incase your not aware. Be careful using moose scraps and salmon. Using any edible meat parts of a moose for bait or salmon can get you in trouble with F&G. There are a few exceptions... If it was commercially caught and purchased salmon and you can show proof of receipt, it is legal. Salmon heads, guts, tail and fins are acceptable if sport caught. I think the only way you can use moose other than guts, bones, etc... is if it was a road kill and the meat was not edible. I myself have gotten permission in the past from F&G before using road kill moose as trap bait. I don't know the specifics of your situation and what exact parts of fish and moose you are inquiring about. Just a friendly heads up, don't want to see anyone get into trouble.....

  7. #7
    Member Arctic Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    327

    Default All the above...

    Use Magnum Marten as a lure, its petroleum based and works better the colder it gets. I am also using meat I had go bad when the freezer when out on me. Ive tried berry jelly based baits grinded in with fish and that has worked too. Marten can have a sweet tooth as well. I think the key is the lure and I always use a visual attractant (i.e. CD, flagging tape, etc.)
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnscd View Post
    BK,

    Just a heads ups incase your not aware. Be careful using moose scraps and salmon. Using any edible meat parts of a moose for bait or salmon can get you in trouble with F&G. There are a few exceptions... If it was commercially caught and purchased salmon and you can show proof of receipt, it is legal. Salmon heads, guts, tail and fins are acceptable if sport caught. I think the only way you can use moose other than guts, bones, etc... is if it was a road kill and the meat was not edible. I myself have gotten permission in the past from F&G before using road kill moose as trap bait. I don't know the specifics of your situation and what exact parts of fish and moose you are inquiring about. Just a friendly heads up, don't want to see anyone get into trouble.....
    I use fish scrapes . I'll put a dab of beaver caster in my martin cubby for lure .

  9. #9
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    tuna packed in oil or anchovies, smelliest stuff I could find last year we did 2 sets the first one caught a marten within 2 days they second the marten somehow avoided the traps and took the can of tuna 2 miles
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  10. #10

    Default lure

    Lure is the most important thing you can have for trapping marten. Get them to your set and it should be a catch, especially if your set is on the ground. I have NEVER had a refusal with a trap on the ground. It can be hit or miss in pole sets as some just won't go up the pole.

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I am using Pacific Call as a lure...I was told by my local sports store that was a good all around lure...I think he said Dean Wilson recommended it in his book.

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Lure is the most important thing you can have for trapping marten. Get them to your set and it should be a catch, especially if your set is on the ground. I have NEVER had a refusal with a trap on the ground. It can be hit or miss in pole sets as some just won't go up the pole.

    Northway...

    What Lure do you recommend?

  13. #13
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default Thanks johnscd

    All great advice, thanks for the heads up on scraps and the legality of using them.
    Sounds like a ground cubby set with a can of tuna and some attractor will be my first attempt to bring them in.
    It appears they can be a bit shy sometimes when you set the traps on a pole or up in a tree. Can't wait to get out there.
    If anyone has more pics of sets, it would be appreciated.
    I plan to use some newspaper boxes and few plastic pots to make the cubbys.
    I'm guessing they need to be checked daily since this type of set leaves the animal on the ground vs. hanging where the mice/voles might get to them.
    Thanks to all,
    BK

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Just to back up a bit capitolhill... You say there is sign in the area, are you setting directly on the sign?
    Do you have evidence that the animals are looking at the set but not working it?
    If it has been real cold there, a skunky lure will help- I think the Pacific Call is skunky, I know for a fact though that Gusto from Minnesota Trapline Products is too.
    Second the CD or flagging idea too.

  15. #15

    Default What lure?

    I think GUSTO is one of the best for marten. It is loud (skunky) and holds the smell there even in cold temps. I make my own lure as I run enough traps that I want a lure that "squirts" out of bottle. Flip the top, squirt, and I am on my way.

    Pacific Call is a LYNX lure. Not that it won't catch marten, but that is what it is used for. Some people like sable oil. I figure that everyone uses something different and maybe other areas other things work better than what I use. I am still into having something with skunk in it as that scent stays active at the set.

  16. #16
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Northway is right; lure (smell) is the most effective thing. Attractants like grouse or ptarmigan feathers, or even survey tape (just please take it down when done) is also good to use.

    I learned from one of the former trappers out here after catching the first few marten...to use the marten glands (right near anus) for lure. Squish them up and put them in a jar or something and let them sit inside for a bit...add some glycerine and carry with you in a plastic container like an old washed out shampoo bottle or something, and put some of that near your set. Works great...similar to how much easier it is to catch marten in sets that you've already caught them in cause of the pee etc that is expelled.

    If you don't use lure, fish scraps are among the best bait, more smelly, but as we all know in real cold weather scents are harder to disperse. Beaver castor is also a great lure. I like to do like Northway and carry a little plastic bottle, pop the top, squeeze, done. It is a bummer though when that leaks all over your gloves and on your clothes...wife loves it when I come home and hang those up <grin>.


  17. #17
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Strawberry jam,

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    I used a very loud skunk caster based lure. It is called skunky backbreaker from dobbins if anyone cares. I don't use meat anymore, just bird wings on leaning poles. I had way to many birds in my set with meat.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I used a very loud skunk caster based lure. It is called skunky backbreaker from dobbins if anyone cares. I don't use meat anymore, just bird wings on leaning poles. I had way to many birds in my set with meat.
    Curious swapdonkey, what kind of birds? Raptors or scavengers?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    83

    Question More Q's

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post


    ..use the marten glands (right near anus) for lure. Squish them up and put them in a jar or something and let them sit inside for a bit...add some glycerine and carry with you in a plastic container like an old washed out shampoo bottle or something, and put some of that near your set. Works great...

    ...Beaver castor is also a great lure....

    ...I like to do like Northway and carry a little plastic bottle, pop the top, squeeze, done.....

    Northway / Bushrat

    How many marten glands vs how much glycerine?

    Do you use the beaver castor the same way?

    Do you always "squirt" the lure behind the trap or on the tree that is associated with your set then use bait to get them in the trap (when you use bait)?

    Probably a difficult question , but how much lure do you use per set?

    I really enjoy reading about everyones views on setting for marten and appreciate you guys for passing hard earned information on to us newbies. I trapped my first couple marten this last week and there are not many in my area so I got spoiled and hooked the same week!!!

    Thanks
    Best of the outdoors!
    -AK4Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •