Thread: Denali Highway Christmas trip.

Default Denali Highway Christmas trip.

Hey all!
    Just letting you know that I'm heading into the Denali Highway via Cantwell again on Friday the 26th, after Christmas. I'll be heading into my place, and cutting some wood, shoveling the deck off, and then running the trails around the lodge to get them ready for riding. Also, we are getting the trail ready for riding into the mountains just behind the lodge. I can only stay a couple of days, and I'll be heading back Sunday morning. I have a couple of people going with me from the Kenai area, and there are some more machiners coming down from Fairbanks also.

Anyone that wants to come along for the ride is welcome to! There are plenty of beds (8 rooms, 6 with bunkbeds, two with queens, plus the cabin, plus several cots) and rooms, and firewood. There is some dried food and mre's also, but for the most part, you might want to just bring in what you need to eat. I personally plan on riding to the Maclaren Lodge for my food and beer. (I have some crown and scotch at the lodge, but beer freezes!) It's about a 26 mile ride from my place to Maclaren, and it's a great ride!

My wife and I do plan to have the lodge open for Arctic Man in April.

The schedule for next weekend is as follows: Leave Kenai at 4am. Arrive Cantwell at 10am. We park in the large parking area that you come to when you drive East down the Denali Highway, just past where the pavement ends if you've been down there in the summer. Can't miss it, there are usually several vehicles with trailers, and dog mushers parked there. Plan on riding into the lodge as soon as we arrive around 10am. The ride is 68 miles, and the road is a snow machine highway. It was a great smooth ride a couple of weekends ago. Takes about 2 hours.

Of course, no charge, just come on in and enjoy yourself!

Let me know if your going to make it, or just show up!

Claude and Jennifer Bondy
    Alpine Creek Lodge
    907-283-3775
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default wow

sounds awesome, but with kids basket ball games i doubt we can make it. sounds awesome, and I know the wife would love it! What a great offer/opportunity!

Right on Claude!!! My wife and I may have to make a day trip out to your lodge and back to our cabin in Cantwell. Be cool to stop in and say hi atleast. Might see you up there.

Default Great opportunity Denali

Be careful on the Denali Hiway this coming weekend. There is a 200 mile dogsled race from Paxson Lodge to MacLaren lodge and back to Paxson on December 27th, 2008 starting at 11am. We don't want any avoidable accidents occuring, especially with the short daylight.

http://www.gingin200.com/RaceInformation.html

I know you are on the other end, but riders might be coming from the Paxson side to meet you.

Merry Christmas!

Thumbs up Great info!!

Thanks for the great info SkinnyRiver! I hadn't even heard about it until now. Whenever we travel the highway, we take great care around the mushers. We always stop as soon as we see them if they are coming toward us, and if we come up behind them, we stay way back until the musher motions us past them, then we creep by slowly to keep the disturbance to a mininmum. We are also very careful on the corners to slow way down in case you have mushers, or other machines or critters or anything around them.

Is there a guideline recommended by mushers that we might be missing? I think it would be great to get thier take on it so we can all enjoy Alaska!

Claude

Default No problemo

I'm not a musher, but would encourage any mushers to chime in here. I know lots of mushers and the event organizers for the GinGin are good friends so I thought I'd give a heads up. I'll be down there over the weekend and thru next week at my cabin as well.
    Sounds like your avoidance tactics are similar to mine. Have a great one!!

No way we can make it this week, but keep us posted if you are going up in March or so. The guy that cut his butt cheek installing your chimney is the husband of one of my employees.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default The dreaded big IF

Claude,
    Igot the kitchen pass but both sleds are in the shop for repair. If I get my sled back by Friday I'm in.

If not, I can't go unless someone has a loaner.

Have fun and don't forget the propane and mantles

Default Alpine Lodge?

Is the lodge you're talking about across the Susitna River, on the left-hand side-a few miles passed the Gracias House? I'd LOVE to go, but I've got a kid tagging along on a A/C 120 @ 16mph! We're going to Eureka 12-27-12-29.

If you're going to do the trip again, post the info again if you would, I'd love to go.

Have a great trip!

Tim

Default Heh heh!

AkDoug! I missed the 'butt cheek' incident, but Erik in Talkeetna filled me in. My brother was around there also. It makes me cringe every time I think about it! Please pass onto him that we appreciate his hard work in making it so we can stay warm this winter! I'll be heading up every chance I get working on the lodge, and we are going to open for Arctic Man to some degree anyhow. Probably have a place to stay and fuel at least. We are hoping to have our bar and resturaunt license by that time, but one never knows with the government allowing you to do something. I'll post on here before each trip anyhow! Erik in AK went with us last time, and we had a blast!

Erik in Ak! Well, hope your machine gets done in time. Marcus is still tentatively planning to go, along with his buddy. But you never know with those young single fellow's! They might get lost before it's time to leave! And yes, I have the mantles, a can of lantern glass, and some more candles. If you think of anything else we talked about while we were up there, please remind me!

tccak71! Yes, the lodge is East of the Susitna, about 11.3 miles. It's not the one on the flat that used to be the old Susitna Lodge. It's about 8 miles east of that, on the north side about 200' above the road. It was very hard to see until I cleared the brush this summer. I'm thinking about getting my 5 year old son a 120 to ride (he'll be 6 in February, and I think that's legal riding age) I was trying to figure out how to get him in there with his machine, and kicked around getting a sled big enough to to put a 120 on and just haul it in to the lodge, and then he can ride around the lodge area. And as noted above, I'll post before each trip, as it's been fun meeting and riding with new people! Plus, it's difficult to get my Kenai buddies to drive 7 hours each way to go riding, but I'm working on them.

Happy riding, and keep an eye out for the mushers. I wish I had what it took to have a dog team, but that looks like an incredible amount of work and patience! Good Luck in the Gin Gin 200 mushers!

I'm a go!

Marita just called my sled will be done today!! Can I reserve a trailer spot again or are you full?

Default Good To Go!

We'll make room on the trailer. We have one more machine going this time, but I think we can get one more on.

Leaving Kenai, 4am on Friday morning. Should be at your place by 7am, and on the way. We are meeting some other riders from the Fairbanks area around 11am in Cantwell. Hopefully that'll give us enough time.

Can't wait to get to Cantwell!!

There is no legal age that I know of on kids and machines in Alaska. My son started on a Z-120 at age 3. They will fit right inside a fairly small tow behind sled and it would be a piece of cake to haul one into the lodge.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem