Thread: Favorite braid For Kenai Kings

Default Favorite braid For Kenai Kings

What is your favorite braid for fishing Kings on the Kenai?

Red 80# Power Pro
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Another vote for PowerPro.

I use 65# as a compromise between increased line capacity and ease of handling. The smaller tests are almost too thin and lack sufficient body for handle-ability, not to mention how easily they can cut thru skin.

As far as color, I don't really have a preference... all the braids eventually fade out to a dull off-white. If they made a fluorescent hi-viz like Berkley's or ANDE's Envy Green or Maxima's Fluo Pink, that would be excellent for keeping track of your line, especially against the glare of the water. Unlike mono, superbraid just does NOT dye well... the color just flakes/fades away. The good news is that white stands out pretty good against the Kenai's glacial green.

One advantage of running different line colors on a full spread of rods is it's easier to see which line is which when dealing with crossed lines or tangles. Once got a BIG fish horribly tangled between two lines... both reels loaded with identical Moss Green superline. There was no way we would land this fish without chopping the free line. Question was "Which one?" With trepidation, I took my fillet knife across the mess.... and fortunately cut the right line! And despite long odds we landed that fish!

Better to be lucky than good!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc, Any fovorite brands? I took your advice on the leaders and wend with 50lb big game. Thanks for the reply Doc!

does anybody make a braid that streches some?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    does anybody make a braid that streches some?
    Hollow braided dacron, commonly used for flyline backing, stretches about 10%. Compared to superbraids (Spectra) it's not very durable nor is it particularly thin in diameter. I use it for backing under a 50 yd topshot of Spectra braid.

Rapala makes a superline called StretchBraid.... Spectra with some Dacron put in the weave to provide some stretch... about 5%. It handles pretty much like Spectra, but they sacrificed line diameter to get that little bit of stretch. 65# Stretch braid is a little bigger than the caliber of 80# PowerPro.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Doc, Any favorite brands? I took your advice on the leaders and went with 50lb big game. Thanks for the reply Doc!
    As I said in my first post, another vote for PowerPro.

I think I've used just about every brand out there... Cabela's RipCord, TUF-line (reg and XP), Berkley Whiplash, SpiderWire Stealth, Stren, PowerPro, Rapala.

Overall, I like PowerPro the best.
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Rapala makes a superline called StretchBraid.... Spectra with some Dacron put in the weave to provide some stretch... about 5%. It handles pretty much like Spectra, but they sacrificed line diameter to get that little bit of stretch. 65# Stretch braid is a little bigger than the caliber of 80# PowerPro.
    OOPS! forgot the link

http://www.rapala.com/press/pressRel...ssreleaseid=58
    The KeenEye MD

Default Suffix performance braid

Very similar to PowerPro. Used it with Doc this year on the Kenai for two days. It might be a slightly tighter weave, and the diameter might be slightly smaller than PowerPro because of that. It fished well. I, like doc, use dacron backing underneath. No sense in filling the reel with hundreds of yards of expensive super line. That being said, I don't like seeing the dacron go out throught the guides. I definitely don't want it to happen a lot, so I put 200 feet of superline on my reels.

Default second on the suffix

I tried the suffix braid on a backbouncing rod this past summer. I liked it and will probably spool up another reel or two with it.