Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet boat refurbs and upgrades.

Default Jet boat refurbs and upgrades.

I think we have had posts on this before but heck it is winter and what better time is there for thinking about what you want to do to get your boat set up for the next season!

I am hoping to keep this one focused on river running but we could certainly open a thread for glass boats and the ocean.

Here are the "upgrades" I have been going over in my head... If anyone has experience with how hard these projects are or what the costs are (especially hidden expense).

My list.
    I have a 01' 90 horse merc and it will get:
    New stainless impeller
    New sleeve lined with UHMW
    Outboard stomp grate from Karolds
    Considering upgrading electronics to monitor fuel flow (not sure what is involved here)
    Tune up and controls adjusted (looking for good shop for this)

For the boat (93' wooldridge AK 17'6")

Some sort of Teflon type bottom paint (not sure which product yet)
    New vinyl graphics
    Thinking about putting in a diamond plate floor boards (very interested in info on this!)
    Considering having an overhead rack built to store lightweight gear and poles
    I am also thinking about having an addition put on the canvas to provide full coverage so I can sleep on the boat.

Well if anyone has experience with any of these projects feel free to chime in! I would love to see some pics as well!

Default Glad I'm not the only one,

I have a 22' SeaArk. Probably my biggest addition will be a Garmin 530s. I will be cutting out access holes to sink my batteries and adding hatch covers as well as a battery charger. By doing this I can put two 12gal gas tanks in the back instead of just one and having to yank them out to swap them. I will be hard wiring running lights for the stern and mounting a plate on the bow for a Stryker Golight with wireless remote that has running lights on it. I just pulled the floors tonight. I will be running PVC under the floor for my wire chase to the bow as well as into the console. I'm not sure if I should go with a breaker panel or a fuse panel (open to any and all suggestions). I'm going to cover the bottom of the boat between the structural supports with a 1/2 to 3/4" high and as wide as the supports with something (plastic/aluminum?) and then spray in foam. Water will be able to flow freely but have some extra flotation and sound dampening at the same time. I will be welding on flotation pods from Beavertail on the back. Welding angled aluminum up and down both sides for extra rod holders. Will cut in storage compartment under the bow platform for storage of anchors etc. Would also like to put in a stereo but don't know if I have room for it. The console isn't that big. I will also add either a Garmin GFS-10 for fuel flow or a unit that hooks directly to the motor. Not sure which way I'm gonna go on that one yet. Oh yhea, I have 2 new Cannon Uni-Troll Downriggers as well. That's pretty much my winter project. Please call me for info on how to make tax deductable donations for the cause!

I have diamond plate floors (except the bow, and motor deck) in my 18 ft Almar lite. I am going to take out the wood on the motor deck, and put in diamnd plate (just for looks). I like it well enough. I have to many upgrades in mind to even list!

If any of you help with your projects I do all types of repairs and fabrication with aluminum. I have 30 plus years of experience, and I do it as a hobby these days so reasonable pricing. I have two shops at my home and can do mig, tig, forming etc. Rick at 346-1167 or r0330@gci.net

Great Topic- I am anxious to get started on something. I have the Jet Boat that could be called "Upgrade". This has been a continual state for a long time.

Next upgrades when I find a bucket of cash:
    New Boxes / Seats to include custom coolers
    Remote steering for kicker motor
    Stroke the 351W for more power
    Upgrade Jet with Scott Impellers and Nozzle
    New Trailer

I must be getting there - that list isn't near as long as it used to be.

Default LuJon

Checker plate like this?
    Its 1/16". If i did it again, i would go one gauge size thicker, as it flexes just a bit in the cockpit area, but i fixed that with some welded pieces underneath.
    Works great, not slippery, and light. Keeps weight down too!
    Took me about 3 hours to do the swap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Checker plate like this?
    Its 1/16". If i did it again, i would go one gauge size thicker, as it flexes just a bit in the cockpit area, but i fixed that with some welded pieces underneath.
    Yukoner, That floor looks really good, you figure thats lighter than a wood floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Checker plate like this?
    What did you use to fasten the aluminum down? I havn't ever been under the floor of mine so I am not sure exactly what the project will entail. I would like to add removable seats like yours and some flush tie downs for securing loads. I sure hope mine turns out as good as your has!

These othere lists are causeing me to add to mine.....
    Now I am thinking...
    A much faster ratio steering system would make a huge difference as well
    I also have to rework the bunks on e trailer as well. I am thinking about putting roller bunks on it but not sure if they are truly an "upgrade" Trailer is a 93 EZ-Loader.
    The trailer also needs some repairs done to the winch setup since it is kind of tweaked and the strap is worn out.
    One small project that didn't get done this year is to put some beefy points on the trailer to hook a monster ratchet strap over the back of the boat. Wooldrige claims that most of the damage comes from not strapping the boat down properly so it bangs around on the bunks on bumpy roads.

I am sure I will think of more

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Yukoner, That floor looks really good, you figure thats lighter than a wood floor?
    Its way lighter than wood, especially soggy, wet water logged wood
    The 1/16" panels, well, you don't even notice them when you pick them up. The 3 panels probably weigh, maybe 10-15lbs? Probably less as i recall.
    Lujon
    The hardest part is taking up the old floor, as there are lots of screws. Its a good chance to beat out any dents in the hull, pull the fuel cell to replace the foam padding around it, and generally clean and check things out.
    I just used the original screws. Originally, i used nothing to retain them, but because the Al plate doesn't compress and act like a lock washer, like wood, they started to loosen. So i loctite'd them in, no problems. I ran weather stipping foam on all the contact points underneath just to quiet it up. Try it, you'll like it
    Another upgrade i did was to add transom and gunnel height. The gunnel height i added brings it up to the "new style" hull height. Great piece of mind on the lakes. Now if i could "easily" add hull width

If my information is correct there is no saving using Alu. Diamond plate over plywood.
    If you can find 3003 .084 Alu. you will have to add reinforcing and that will add to the weight.

plywood = 50# / 4x8 sheet = 1.56#/ sq. ft
    plywood = 71# / 4x8 sheet = 2.2#/ sq. ft.

Per my notes from Reynolds Aluminum supply co.
    6061-T6 Alu.
    .100 = 1.552#/ sq. ft.
    .125 = 1.905#/ sq.ft.

3003 Alu.
    .084 = 1.340#/ sq. ft.

1/16 = .025
    1/8 = .125

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    If my information is correct there is no saving using Alu. Diamond plate over plywood.
    If you can find 3003 .084 Alu. you will have to add reinforcing and that will add to the weight.

6061-T6 Alu.
    .100 = 1.552#/ sq. ft.
    .125 = 1.905#/ sq.ft.

3003 Alu.
    .084 = 1.340#/ sq. ft.

1/16 = .025
    1/8 = .125
    Yes it is, if you are comparing dry 1/2 ply wood to 1/8 alum, I know the vinyl plywood in my boat is closer to 5/8, so in my boat about 10 pounds diffrence, for 70 sq. feet. If comparing to .100 3003 alum. (which is readily available in Fbks-Anch) the 5/8 plywood is probably heavier. I dont know if the .100 will span 12 O. C. ribs w/o too much flex? Any one ever try it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post

6061-T6 Alu.
    .100 = 1.552#/ sq. ft.
    .125 = 1.905#/ sq.ft.

3003 Alu.
    .084 = 1.340#/ sq. ft.

1/16 = .025
    1/8 = .125
    I think you have a typo there, 1/16" is .0625. Anyhow, i did not weigh anything when i did it, i wanted Al, as it is absolutely lighter than wet marine plywood, and those floorboards always stay wet, the vinyl covering just doesn't let them dry quick. Plus, checker plate looks nice
    On the weight side, the checker plate was dramatically lighter than the boards i took out. It seemed, at the time, that all three panels were about the same weight as one of the old, slightly soggy wood panels, but this was a quick observation, rather than an empirical observation.
    I experienced flex in the cockpit, but not very much, and i took that out by TIGing on some 3/4"x1/8" angle underneath the panel. There is no noticeable flex in the main deck area, aft the cockpit. I put a bunch more foam underneath, especially over the fuel cell to help support, and add floatation.
    As i said, if i did it again, i might go one gauge size, maybe two, thicker and to heck with the weight, but i am super happy with the result. A few months of use has taken the glare off of the floor, so thats not an issue.
    Cheers
    Paul

Consider Slip Plate, it is available at Graingers, comes in aerosol cans or in quart and gallon cans. Did my 2175 XS with three aerosol cans last spring. The stuff is used in heavy equipment and farm machinery to make things slide easier. My intent was to make the boat glide over gravel bars easier... never got to prove that one last summer, I also suspect that it might have a positive effect on gas consumption. Too many variables to be able to prove that. One unintended consequence is that the boat certainly trailers easier slips right on. First couple of times I almost overshot the winch. http://www.slipplate.com/
    It wore well over the summer, a little touch up this spring and it will be good as new.

Default plywood weight

Not sure of the weights listed for plywood were for MARINE GRADE or standard but note that marine grade is heavier than standard.

Also Aluminum diamond tread plate weighs a little more than mill finish, not a whole lot but some.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default AkRascal

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post

Consider Slip Plate, it is available at Graingers, comes in aerosol cans or in quart and gallon cans. Did my 2175 XS with three aerosol cans last spring. The stuff is used in heavy equipment and farm machinery to make things slide easier. My intent was to make the boat glide over gravel bars easier... never got to prove that one last summer, I also suspect that it might have a positive effect on gas consumption. Too many variables to be able to prove that. One unintended consequence is that the boat certainly trailers easier slips right on. First couple of times I almost overshot the winch. http://www.slipplate.com/
    It wore well over the summer, a little touch up this spring and it will be good as new.

AkRascal,

I sent you a PM a while back in refrence to the slip plate on your XS. Just wondering how thick you put this on or did you just put on a thin layer? And was 3 cans good enough or would you use more to get better coverage? Sorry for so many questions but I'm looking to put something on the bottom of my XS also.....Thanks

I would definitely like to see some pics!

I have an appointment with Silver Streaks to weld a rack over my soft top for an inflatable and install a kicker bracket for the inflatable's short shaft 20hp, install Spitzlift brackets to load/unload inflatable and kicker or anything heavy. Thanks to Moderator Steve for posting pictures of his Spitzlift on another thread.

For the boat rebuild the impeller or a new one. Also thinking about slip plating the bottom. Fix the transducer from when I tore it off last year. Other than that gas oil and go boating when we get water.
    06 custom weld storm 6 liter 212 and other stuff
    05 1000X with some little thing's done

yet another sleeve and impeller.....why does that keep happening?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I am going to have my impellor rebuilt, what the heck its free? I got a lifetime re-build on it once a year when i bought the boat.
    I am also going to install a new VHF radio instead of using a handheld when in the salt water.
    Still debating about an AK bulkhead to replace the vinyl drop down curtain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast