Thread: Whittier Harbor Boat Ramp Update

Default Whittier Harbor Boat Ramp Update

I was in Whittier on Thursday and, according to some workers in the Harbor, work on the new ramp is going slower than expected.

I've attached a picture (somewhat dark) of the ramp area. Looks like they have widened the area by removing some older pilings and the steel wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I will be shocked if it is completed by May. It sure will be nice upon completion, though. Looks like there is a bit of snow down there. Thanks for the update.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

That really sucks, but for some reason I am not all that surprised. Hopefully the ramp traffic won't be as terrible as my gut tells me it's gonna be. Can you imagine everyone having to use the shallow west ramp, and maybe one lane of the east ramp while they finish it? We'll see how it works in May!
    Last edited by Larsenvega; 12-20-2008 at 14:28. Reason: east/west inverted

I can just see it now.....contractor falls behind, City doesn't pay, contractor stops work, City sues, or something like that. I will be seriously PO'd and not at all surprised if the work at the ramp holds up the launch next year.

Canít imagine their accomplishing much today other than playing liars poker in the warm-up shack.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I will be shocked if it is completed by May. It sure will be nice upon completion, though. Looks like there is a bit of snow down there. Thanks for the update.

May of what year is a better question. Goodness I hope it is 2009. I can't imagine the lines.....

Thanks for the update.. Lets all hope they get it done by season time. If not it will be a nightmare
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Looks like I might be doing a lot more runs to Seward or Homer if the ramp the ramp isn't going to be done in a timely fashion.

I am not an expert on boat ramp construction, but it sure seems that it would not take too long to install 2 or 3 launching docks, plus some re-paving in the Spring. Looks like much of the hard work has already been done.

I do have a solid backup plan: Wife in waders for a Spring launch

Anytime one of us happen to be in the Whittier area, be sure to snap a pic of the construction progress so we can know what the season will bring. If I were betting, I'd say that they won't be done in time, but that they'll finish it a few months after the weather warms up (June/July perhaps). Post them pics!