Thread: remington 7600

Default remington 7600

i was thinking of purchasing one of these for brush bustin for deer. since i have hunted with an 870 for a number of years i feel that one of these would feel familiar in my hands. as for caliber i was thinkig 270 since i already own a 308 marlin and dont need or want mix ups in ammo. any one own one of these gun or have any oppinions on them?

The 7600 is quite popular back in whitetail country.....While I usually hunt Alaska with bolt rifles, I found a NIB 7600 35 Whelen in MN a couple years back.....it is far more accurate than 760s that I tried years ago....I sent the trigger assembly to a shop back East and they took 90% of the slack out of it for a nominal fee.....now a perfectly acceptable rifle for most hunting IMO.

Default Remington 7600

I have used my 7600 in 30-06 for 20 years or so down in Southeast AK. I have really enjoyed it, and have shot over 50 deer with it. I have found it to be surprisingly accurate, even with a fairly hard trigger pull. The rifle is very light to carry around all day, and I really like the pump action. It's also convenient to load because you can carry extra magazines. My two cents...

I have a 7600 in .270, given to me as a gift when while I was growing up in whitetail county. To be honest, I'd much rather have a bolt action rifle over the 7600. But, it was a gift and will always have a spot in my gun cabinet. On the plus side, I've achieved some pretty darn good accuracy with the gun working up hand loads. Yes, the trigger leaves much to be desired. I doubt I'll use it in Alaska, but it is three for three lifetime on elk.

Fairly nice gun that has had the bugs worked out over the past eighty years or so,same with their sister SA's.

Default .35 Whelen

I bought one, being a lefty, back in 88. I brought it to Alaska with me in 99 as my main hunting rifle. It will certainly handle anything up here. Just remember to fully re-size the cases if you reload and I run every hunting round through the chamber before a hunt. I have never had a problem with it and it matches the handling of my 870's fine. It points quick and is faster than a bolt. As one other member stated: The triggers can use some work. I re-did mine, it is lighter but still has some slack.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Second blacklab's assessment

I've owned and hunted the precursor of the 7600 - the 760 - for over 30 years. I've used it for hunting blacktails on Admiralty primarily but also for other areas in Southeast. Mine is chambered in .30-'06 and is the carbine model with 18" barrel. I got it because I needed a short, quick handling rifle with an action that was quick to cycle for hunting blacktails in the thick brush and timber of Admiralty. I picked the '06 because I could load up with fairly heavy bullets (180-220 Nosler Partitions) and be comfident that I was prepared in case I bumped into an ill-tempered brownie.

The little 760 met my needs almost perfectly and has harvested lots of blacktails, including some at long range (200 yds +) above timberline in early season hunts. I never had a malfunction of any sort despite lots of days spent in rain, freezing rain, and snow. The action is capable of handling some pretty stout loads.

Strangely my 760 is as accurate as any other gun I've owned including several fully custom, blue printed bolt action Model 70s. Shoots .2-.5 100 yard groups (handloads tailored to it's liking) with both iron sights (a Williams peep when I was younger and could see better) and with a 1-5 Leupold. It's not the prettiest or sexiest or most exotic gun I own but it shoots and functions as well as the best, most expensive custom guns I have.

I've hunted in Southeast with lots of other guns but the the two best deer guns I've had are the Rem 760 carbine and a Marlin .45-70. Both are quick handling and accurate. Maybe I've just been lucky but both shoot tiny groups (tiny is relative with a .45-70 but all holes touch.)

I own my grandpa's 760 in '06, my dad remembers shooting it when he was a kid.. he liked it so much that my mom got him a 7600 the year before I was born.

Great guns, perfect for S.E. AK.
    The original point-and-click interface was a Smith and Wesson

Quote Originally Posted by linger27 View Post
    i was thinking of purchasing one of these for brush bustin for deer. since i have hunted with an 870 for a number of years i feel that one of these would feel familiar in my hands. as for caliber i was thinkig 270 since i already own a 308 marlin and dont need or want mix ups in ammo. any one own one of these gun or have any oppinions on them?
    I've only handled and shot the 7600, but am a 40-year user and fan of the 760, along with the 141 and the 14. From what I've seen the 7600 is the logical successor to the line and incorporates improvements learned each step of the way. The only reason I don't have a 7600 is the trio of 760's in my rack- a 257 Roberts, a 280 Remington, and an 06 carbine. And no, the first two aren't up for grabs for any price. The short 06 will really flap your ears when you pull the trigger, but it stays, too. Just too darned convenient and reliable. All of them are, for that matter.

If you're used to the 870, you won't miss a lick with the 7600.

I like my 7600 30-06 a ton, it is very accurate right out of the box with factory ammo. Mine shoots corelkt with accuracy I never thought I could do! Better then my 700 .280.

I have had mine jam the ejected shell occasionally - like when I shot my POW bear this spring, anyone else have this issue?

I don't have any experience w/ the 7600, but if it's as good as the 760 it's a good gun. I have a 760 in 30-06 and have shot a lot of mule deer w/ it. I hand load for it and would put it up against my model 70 for accuracey.

Default Jamming Issue

The jamming issue results from not having the shells seated in the magazine correctly. Just make sure to hit the clip on your thigh a couple of times before loading the magazine and it should never happen again.....