Thread: Digital photo class for Christmas??

Default Digital photo class for Christmas??

My wife has a Canon EOS 40D. I know she is not using the camera to it's full potenial. I would like to get her into a class or photo shop where she could really learn how to use the camera. I'd like to get her into a class as a Christmas present if at possible. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.
    Travis

Default Some options

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    My wife has a Canon EOS 40D. I know she is not using the camera to it's full potenial. I would like to get her into a class or photo shop where she could really learn how to use the camera. I'd like to get her into a class as a Christmas present if at possible. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.
    Travis
    How much do you want to spend?

I took a 'weekends' course from the Rocky Mountain School of Photography:
    http://www.rmsp.com/

Very professional group - they have a great staff, and put on some good training.
    They are doing a workshop here in Alaska in August. They have workshops all over the US throughout the year.

If sending her on one of those trips is a bit out of your budget, sign her up through UAA:

• Art A224 - Beginning Photography
    • Art A323 - Color Photography
    • Art A325 - Digital Media for Photography
    • Art A324 - Intermediate Photography

Here's a local guy - worth talking to:
    http://www.halgage.com/hg/workshops/

Default I'm looking also

Just picked up a nikon D60 and am interested in a class aswell. My problem is my schedule it's never consistant, but i might look into those UAA classes!!

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Do yourself a favor: Save some money, go to a good bookstore, Look, browse, purchase a good beginner's book, or two ! or more. Start your learning library. Books are the most valuable thing we have in the world. I would much rather read something, than listen to some person talk about it.

I read certain things over and over and highlight them, so that when I read / study again, I can pick out the important parts, suggestions, ideas, quicky.

for me, I cannot possibly absorb all the informatoin when a person is speaking, even if I am trying to take notes.

BOOKS: are extremly valualbe RESOURCES. You can 'replay' the parts you want, and often times, you will 'glean' information that you never saw before.

Also I have recently noticed 3 dvds on photography in one of the popular photo magazines.

I have never had any classes in photography ever, but I have taught in college, in professional color labs, I have even taught Kaptain Kodak a thing or two.. (they wanted me to get it patented).

this is ALL you need. study together, apply what you have learned or read, Now get out and put some of what you have learned into 'practice'.

Learn the elementary basics, FIRST. build a strong foundation on simple basics. Correct exposure, dramatic natural lighting, & COMPOSITION.

with out correct or interesting composition. nothing meaningful can be created, that compells the viewer to KEEP looking at that image.

Some images I view in a fraction of a second, others, I can't take my eyes off them for hours.

There is ONE PHOTOGRAPH on this forum, that has had me spell bound for months. I see it every night in my mind. It is one of the most 'brilliant' photographic compositions I have seen in decades.

And, .. .. as is the case for most GREAT images.. .. it was by accident.

Save your money for EQUIPMENT. There is nothing going to be taught in any of those 'classrooms. that you will not find already written in print, (for many decades).

Ansel Adams once said.. there are no rules for good photographs, There are only good photographs !

He also once said. 12 good photographs in a year.. .. is a good 'crop' !!

Of course there are 1,000's of NEW BOOKS, but the simple basics of photography are over 100 years old, much of what the basics are built upon are thousands of years old, that which we have learned from the 'master painters' & sculpters.

composition, contrast, lighting, lines, patterns. Most people think to create TOO BIG when first begining. Learn how to create an interesting close up textured detailed subject matter of 'anything'. It doesn't matter what the subject is. BUt the subject matters in an artistic composition.

Walk around the outside of your house and look.

I wish I had a magic camera I could just give you, and lock you into a room that is completly white with nothing in there. I will not let you out, UNITL you can slide under the door interesting images !!

Dramatic composition is often created using simple things.

Study Images.. Museums, galleries, books, magazines, & get your hands on some old issues of National Georgraphic. study look and learn !

Why is National Geographic so valuable? The images are what made that magazine so famous !!

Forgive me for my disjointed ramblings and broken poor sentence structure.. but I thinkL ( I hope) I got the point across for you to begin your exciting quest in learning. GOOD LUCK !~

If you decide to go for a book, buy "Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR Photography Guide" by David D. Bush. A lot of examples on how to use the 40D can be found in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik Imaje View Post

I wish I had a magic camera I could just give you, and lock you into a room that is completly white with nothing in there. I will not let you out, UNITL you can slide under the door interesting images !!
    Would it look something like this?

Sorry, I know what you mean - but I couldn't resist.

Books are great; sometimes a class motivates, inspires or just plain teaches. But, yes - however you learn best is the way to go!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Don't forget the internet . . .

There is more great information available for free today via the internet than you could ever afford to buy in a book or a series of books. Check out websites such as www.fredmiranda.com, www.nikonians.org, and www.luminous-landscape.com, not to mention www.strobist.blogspot.com. They even have on-line lessons and assignments you can complete to make you practice the fundamentals . . .

That having been said, I do have a LOT of photography books that I read and re-read . . .

You might shoot an email to Carl Battreall. Here is his email: carl@battreallphoto.com He has done classes in the past.
    EricL

I took a class from Carl Battreall a couple years ago on winter outdoor photography. It was great fun. I knew 95% of the technical stuff, but I learned a few things, it was a good review of other things, and a wonderful opportunity to go out and shoot with others.

This was one of the Anchorage Parks classes, and they always have several going on through the winter. I have seen them offer several beginner and digital processing specific classes, and they are all bargain priced. You might want to call the muni parks dept to see what their schedule is.