Thread: Garmin Oregon 400c

Thumbs up Garmin Oregon 400c

After looking at the new units on the market. I bought the Oregon 400c. It has the marine BlueCharts preloaded. I will need to install the topo and road maps. It was cheaper than buying the marine charts separate, they are $400 alone. I used up 3 gift cards from REI to help take the sting out of the price, $599.
    To register the unit at Garmin you have to download the updates. Mine would not accept the updates and thus I could not register. After many emails and a few phone calls to Garmin I finally found help. This gal actually took over my computer and did the download from Kansas. (They had a good year for pheasant hunting)
    It is a cool unit and I hope it lasts as long as my GPSIII+. The screen seems readable in bright sunlight, the batteries last a lot longer and the features are amazing. The touch screen scrolling allows for faster screen changes. It acquires satellites a lot faster than the old one.
    There are a few things that I hope they fix, like resetting the trip odometer without resetting everything.
    I will know more after I purchase the additional maps. I want to see how the 3-D image looks using the topo maps.
    Anybody else have this unit? Any tips? I did find 2 different diagnostic screens for trouble shooting that are not mentioned in the manual.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Juat got the oregon 400t for christsmas. The map that is preloaded on it is pretty awesome. So far the 3-d feature is pretty much useless. It doesnt move very well and I cant really see how it helps anything since you are using a topo map?

Im seriously thinking of downgrading to a less expensive unit and installing the map that is on this one.

But man I really like the touchscreen and the detail of the screen!

I'm liking mine more as I use it. The battery life alone is awesome compared to my old GPSIII+. That thing used 4 AA in 8 hours. I got 20 hours out of 2 AAs with the Oregon.

My Auto Nav kit finally arrived. Very cool mount utilizes an arm on a suction cup. It holds the unit 4-5" off the dash and can rotate all over.

Interesting comment on the topo 3D function. I have not installed the topos yet, but when I engage the 3D it says I need to install them. Your comment brought to mind the online mapping w/ 3D. It looks good on the puter, was curious about the GPS.

I took it out in the cold for 5 hours to test the touch screen. Not one issue! Surprised me that it still worked normal.

So far so good. I need to get the topo this week. And the road maps.

I thought it was a bundle of money until I realized it was the price of one long range boat trip, which I seem to have no trouble doing, again and again....
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

thanks for the reviews. can you guys chime in on how the screen is out in the sunlight. looking at the 400t, but several online reviews commented on the poor screen in the sun versus past garmin gps units. given the low sun angle this time of year, it may not be the best time to test and comment on that though, as the flat light would help with that.

so the shaded relief is useless on the 400t?

Default Non issue so far (Screen view in sun)

I have been mostly in the truck and it is plugged in and full illumination. Bright and beautiful.

When outside doing the cold test it was sunny. At no illumination I had to turn the unit to see it. The light is so easy to activate and did make it very easy to see. With the battery saver on the unit goes completely black until you tap the screen.

The topo DVD came in today, gotta get it loaded and see the new maps. Picked up a 2 GB SD card so I can load the topos I want and then add the cities I want when the City Navigator DVD comes in. I got the entire US for both. With the SD I can load destination and topo maps and still have the blue charts. Gotta love it.

The screen is way better than my last Garmin, GPS III+.

I am gonna leave it outside tonight for a real cold test. The guys at Accupoint want to know the limit.
    Last edited by bullbuster; 12-30-2008 at 20:16. Reason: Addition
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it