Thread: Mauser 1909 Argentine

Default Mauser 1909 Argentine

What can you tell me about a 1909 FMAP Argentine action made in 1950. Are they a short action and what would one be worth in good condition? How are they compared to 98 Mauser actions? Which ones do custom builders look for and would it be considered a small ring?

Default 1909

The 1909 Agr. is considered one of the best mausers to build a custom rifle on. It's capable of holding a 30-06 length cartridge. It was of good quality and nice workmanship. Some were prone to neglect while used by the military and would get some corrosion under the wood . If you hand load there is nothing wrong with the original 7.65 ARG. caliber. It approximates the 30-06 in performance it just doesn't have the wide selection of bullets available. Small rings are "as stated" a little smaller and lighter, making a somewhat sleeker looking rifle, most are used on a standard non magnum calibers up to 9.3x62. Husky built a lot of rifles on small ring style mausers.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 1909 Argentine

These are long actions and will readily handle a '06 length cartridge. Many that were imported were rechambered to .30-06 although the bore is slightly oversized.

The German made 1909s are prefered but I don't know if there is any real difference. The FMAP guns were made on German supplied machinery in Argenetina similar to the Colt 1911s.

The receivers and bolts do tend to be soft and many gunsmiths have them hardened after all the metal work is done on them. The hardened guns are slicker and don't setback with the firing of high pressure cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
    What can you tell me about a 1909 FMAP Argentine action made in 1950. Are they a short action and what would one be worth in good condition? How are they compared to 98 Mauser actions? Which ones do custom builders look for and would it be considered a small ring?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default missing the boat on 09's

What sets the 09's apart from the rest is that they all have a hinged floorplate which makes them more valuable . You do not have to worry about the actions being hard or soft with the Argentines , it's the older Mausers (Spandau, etc) that you have Rockwell tested , magna-fluxed and possibly heat treated .