Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who,what and why

Default Who,what and why

Makes it as an ALASKAN guide,just curious as to what the members of this forum consider one to be a true Alaskan guide.just got through watching a hunt show done not far from my home,where not one of the people invovled were Alaskans,with the news coming out of the last board meeting it sounds like those who have the most money will be the guides---bid system for state lands---as i read the posts on this site i see and hear nothing about it,as a guide i can not book in the future--past 09-- until someone tells me the scobbie.. and what is that?as outside hunter i would be very leary of booking any hunts until the state says who can guide on our lands.

Talking like rats

I appears that Alaska is losing it's independence to outsiders, much like the lower 48 has. A lot of outside influence, policy making and attitudes are dictating how we operate within our state and it isn't positive for our way of life or our well being. We have a lot of California attitude and influence here...like they can set a good example for the rest of us with their "shining star". It won't just be the guiding industry, but hunting as a whole as it permeates into every crack and crevise of society. Some have the attitude that they won't rest until the state they migrated to becomes like the "stinking" ship they just abandoned. What, me bitter? Why would that be?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default maydog

Roger,Roger

Unfortunately it apears at times that the current administration takes a lot of liberty with Article 8, Section 2 of our state constitution... Their definition seems to be that the "maximum benefit" is how much money they can make. Certainly it's a good policy in some aspects, but the human element needs to be brought into the equation.
    2. General Authority
    The legislature shall provide for the utilization, development, and conservation of all natural resources belonging to the State, including land and waters, for the maximum benefit of its people.
    This discussion certainly puts an average Alaskan resident hunter in the middle. On one side many hunters are extremely frustrated with ALL guides, whether they are resident or non-resident, due to conflicts out in the field. Not all guides create conflicts and I count several guides as friends.

On the other side, most average Alaskan resident hunters would much prefer that all guides in Alaska be Alaskan residents. I'm pretty sure that it's illegal on the federal level to require a guide to be an Alaskan resident. That just makes the whole mess even more complicated.

I'm really not sure what the answer is going to be gusuk1.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Seem to me if you have to live here to kill a brownie or hire a guide if you don't live here.Then a guide that don't live here would have to be under a guide that does as he don't live here..On the other hand many have begged for the stores and fast food chains of the outside world and with them came non hunter types which now out vote the Alaskan of old.I would guess that now days 75% of Alaskans don't hunt and 60% don't fish.The bigger cities in Alaska are worst than cities of the same size in the lower 49. The problem is a barber can be licensesed in Alaska and Washington and travel back a forth cutting hair and no one thinks much of it and most would say whats the difference.I think you should have to live here but you can winter outside if you like.Must have Alaska drivers licenses and no out of state hunting licenses.JMHO

Default akdoug

apears you know something about the laws/rules,any chance you know whats up with the dnr and the thoughts on regs for us guides?

How long will it take before fishing does the same. The whole system seems short sighted to me there may be some money coming in but when out of state outfitters/guides go home look how many dollars go with them as opposed how much they leave in the states general economy.

On the other side, most average Alaskan resident hunters would much prefer that all guides in Alaska be Alaskan residents. I'm pretty sure that it's illegal on the federal level to require a guide to be an Alaskan resident.
    Maybe you can't stop it but you sure could thin them out if we had a 20 year Alaska hunting experience for nonresidents to be a registered guide.
    Chuck

Chris been a while man!! welcome back! how'd the season go??
    send me a pm for more info on the DNR stuff i was at the meeting, its not as bad as it all sounds...its bad...don't get me wrong, but the bid stuff ain't like it sounds.
    An alaskan guide, someone who is an alaska resident would be enough to make me happy.
    been here almost 30 years now....would consider myself an alaskan guide.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

apears you know something about the laws/rules,any chance you know whats up with the dnr and the thoughts on regs for us guides?
    Nope Just an internet junky inside warming my hands in between changing a thermostat on my tractor trailer rig. I know how to use google and the "maximum benefit" argument was what was bantered around when justifying AGIA and the gasline contract.

Its a shame to hear that Alaska hunting policies are going the way of the lower 48 Specifically, the state, outfitters, and landowners figure out how to ring the maximum amount of dollars out of the resource to its everlasting detriment.
    Im a capitalist all the way but I think 90% of fishing and hunting resources should be reserved for self guided resident sportsmen.
    The essence of hunting is to find the game yourself, through a lot of hard frustrating but eventually rewarding work. Guided hunters miss out on 90% of the enjoyment of the experience by being taken by the hand to the animal.
    The only saving grace may just be this wrecked economy hitting all classes of people. Hopefully it will preserve the resource for a few years.

Default brwnbr

alive and well here,looking forward to the increase in daylight.agree that an Alaskan should be an Alaskan guide.sending a pm.Chris

Guided hunters miss out on 90% of the enjoyment of the experience by being taken by the hand to the animal.
    I totally disagree with this. It's too much of a generalization. There are many guides in this state that sell the experience as well as the kill. Jake sure sounds like one of them and I know a couple more that offer no guarantees and you are going to work your butt off for an animal.

Happy Holidays Chris, hope your season went well! I'd be a lot happier if all of the outfits were like you and Jake, where you actually hunt with the guy you booked the hunt with...lot less confusion and pain that way in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    An alaskan guide, someone who is an alaska resident would be enough to make me happy.

Agreed, be it hunting or fishing.

been here almost 30 years now....would consider myself an alaskan guide.
    Almost 40 years here....And I have the same consideration.

Non-Res guides if they are allowed to guide as "AK Guides" should, in addition to having to pay exponentially higher fees, be required to dress in all PINK camo so as to be easier spot....<grin>
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Non-Res guides if they are allowed to guide as "AK Guides" should, in addition to having to pay exponentially higher fees, be required to dress in all PINK camo so as to be easier spot....<grin>
    Man! I love this! Nobody has EVER explained why a non-resident can be a guide, while a non-resident has to hire a guide for Brownies, Goats & Sheep.

Rep to you!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Man! I love this! Nobody has EVER explained why a non-resident can be a guide, while a non-resident has to hire a guide for Brownies, Goats & Sheep.

Rep to you!
    Excellent point! Follow the money. That's how the maximum amount of dollars can be extracted from the resource.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I totally disagree with this. It's too much of a generalization. There are many guides in this state that sell the experience as well as the kill. Jake sure sounds like one of them and I know a couple more that offer no guarantees and you are going to work your butt off for an animal.
    AKDoug, your right 90% is an over generalization. I do think guided hunters miss out on half the fun anyway.

That said, I've never hunter Alaska, I'm sure it's a challenge even when guided.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
    AKDoug, your right 90% is an over generalization. I do think guided hunters miss out on half the fun anyway.

That said, I've never hunter Alaska, I'm sure it's a challenge even when guided.

LOL been watching all i know is that going on 41 years now... i have never used nor needed a guide of course there are some young ones (guides) i would like to take out hunting and show a thing or two.... But i have always known i am the guides worst nightmare.....
    up first
    gone first
    eat later
    can stand to see a hill i don't look over
    and don't care what time i get back to camp...
    and dang it all my rifle is usually laying on my sleeping bag at camp

not my fault the guys cant keep up
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Why should one need a guide?

What is the reason to have a guide? I have heard safety reasons, well then why can I a non-resident go anywhere in AK and take pictures with my camera... Of the three animals I need a guide for...

Why should one not need a guide to hunt moose? Once a moose is down then the work begins, and this is probably when a person could use some help... I mean if one of the rules is not to waste meat shouldn't there be a requirement for a guide to monitor this or help out... I am just trying to figure out the logic behind these requirements...

I am not trying to bash anyone here, and I have used a guide before it was a mountain lion hunt in New Mexico... A hunt I won in a raffle but I have just always wondered why there is this requirement???

Well said to both Hippie and BRWNBR - I will try to ding you both on this one.

With Alaska's 50th anniversary coming up, it would be good for some folks to read why Alaska pushed so hard for statehood.

It seems to me that the primary reason was that the residents were a bit bothered by the idea that our fish, our timber, our minerals, and our game were all being hijacked by outside interests.

That is why it is such an oddity to me that, as a state, we have continued down the exact same path.

Tourism, hunting, fishing, mining, drilling, and any other resource procurement enterprise always seems to go to those with no stake in the land other than their ability to pay.

I am a strong supporter of Alaska first, and, I know that there has to be a way that we can reassert our claims to the place we call home.

I am putting together a tourism site that will encourage prospective visitors to not only spend their money in Alaska, but, to spend it WITH Alaskans. I will shamelessly advertise for companies of solid reputation that are Alaskan owned.

I wish the state and the cities would do as much - but, they won't.

Pink camo for outside guides!
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast