Thread: Opinion on Remington Woodmaster 750 Carbine

Default Opinion on Remington Woodmaster 750 Carbine

Anyone own one of these in 30.06, either in wood or synthetic? If so, do you have a feel for how it compares to a Browning? I keep going back to Great Northern guns to hoist this little sweety... I'm on the precipice.

I have owned several 742's in wood and bell & carlson syn. Never a 750. I hear remington fixed the issues with the 742, but I never found any in the 3 that owned. Once an a while it would bend a case after ejecting.

Ron

Remington semi's have a bad winter reputation up this way...not at all reliable in the COLD. Ive seen a few make the rounds in a village, never being kept long.
    Some guys use Browning's BAR with good sucess.

Just what Ive seen.

My first was the 740 in the early 60's and it was just a OK gun.Most I know of won't shoot reloads without jams at times.Really not that bad a gun but they don't hold their value at all which can be a good thing if buying a used one.They are not a BAR but I wouldn't be embarassed to to be seen with one again.As I recall the ones I had prefered the 180gr.I believe the BAR system cuts a little more recoil.I know they make models now for Swat and PD use so I'm thinking in the last sixty years most of the little bugs have been worked out.

I think the 750 has a gas system more like the Browning (sort of a M14 system) and the older 740/742's were more port pressure specific (like an M1) and need ammo with mid burn rate powder (No light mags or handloads with 4831 powder). Then of course they lack the caming power of a bolt to lock closed if a case is slightly tight for what ever reason. The normal semi-auto woes, which could be applied to all semi-autos regardless of make or design. Yes, I know, some are better than others.

All guns are loads of fun but as a hunting gun the semiauto doesn't appeal to me as a big game gun and I've had way too many bad experiences with autoloaders in the hands of excited hunters.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I always thought that the trigger mech on those felt (and Looked) just like a 870 shotgun. OK for a shotgun but not so swell for accurate rifle shooting.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The Remington 750 is a real improvement over the past. I own a 750 carbine in 30-06. I got the 30-06 in carbine because the short barrel made it have 308 velocities and if I had purchased a 308 in the carbine I would have only had 300 Savage velocities.

My carbine is very accurate and a couple of groups with Remington 150gr factory ammo produce .587" and .569".

The carbine is very nice to handle and move around in tickets or on a deer stand and easy to carry feeling very balanced.
    The gas system is not an issue on the 750 because that is the major change from the past. I have fired 11 boxes of 30-06 factory rounds through the 750 just having fun and trying to see which factory ammo performed best. Now this is not counting the re-loads I have put through the rifle. I have never experienced a single miss hap or any problem with the New 750. Remington has increased the accuracy of their semi-auto as well as made it functionally sound. There are two other hunting friends of mine that bought one right after they saw mine and they have not experienced any trouble up to this point and one of them has fired his a lot more than I have fired mine.

Do not compare the 750 with the past semi-autos made by Remington because this is a better product and it will take the bad weather and still shoot. I hunted last year in rain mix with sleet all day long and when I shot toward 4:45pm all things were fine and the deer hit the ground. It actually is a good product and some thought was put into it to make it better than the semi-autos of Remington's past.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth,

Nice shooting, there. Yeah, the gun was good but nice shooting on your part.

Thanks for that real world account. I had heard from a reliable source, well, two now, that the 750 had a much improved gas system. I have not had one to disassemble and examine.

What powder do you or can you use in that carbine? I guess you'd want to stay with the slightly faster mid burner powders for the carbine but just wondered how it handled slow powder like RL-22 or 4831.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Beartooth,

Nice shooting, there. Yeah, the gun was good but nice shooting on your part.

Thanks for that real world account. I had heard from a reliable source, well, two now, that the 750 had a much improved gas system. I have not had one to disassemble and examine.

What powder do you or can you use in that carbine? I guess you'd want to stay with the slightly faster mid burner powders for the carbine but just wondered how it handled slow powder like RL-22 or 4831.
    Actually I was surprised but should not have been since it is the 30-06 which continues to impress me even though I have been messing with it for 30yrs. The short barrel kept velocities down with RL-22, H4832sc, and even H4350, but IMR4350, IMR4895, IMR4064, 748, 380, RL-15, IMR4320 where great performers in accuracy and velocity. The gas system of the 750 seem to handle everything well with out any difficulty. I only fire 3 three shot groups of the above powders so it was not extensive research and experimenting, so that means the results are only at best limited.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default big improvement

The newer Remington semi-autos(and pumps) have went from having 12 little bitty locking lugs to have three large ones. Most of the misfeeds and jams that I see with the old 740 742 74 series guns stems from these little lugs battering into thier raceways in the barrel extension after the rotating pins wear a little bit and I am yet to see this problem with either the 7400 or the 750 the bigger lugs seem to have solved alot of reliability problems. The accuracy Beartooth is getting from his is outstanding as I've very rarely seen one of the older guns that would shoot better than 3" or so. I used my great grandads 760 in 6mm to take my first buck years ago and altho it wasnt the most accurate rifle on earth it certainly got the job done.

Default Thanks...

... Gentlemen for all your input. I went to a more local gun dealer today and handled a BAR in 30.06. Not a new rifle, but almost. Not a carbine, but lighter than my Model 70. Still tossin' this around.