Thread: SPOT personal locator

Default SPOT personal locator

I saw SPOT personal locators today at Costco. The are $199, but they have a $50 mail-in rebate. That's the cheapest I've seen them. I've seen posts about them so I thought I'd pass on the info.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

That is a good deal. Anyone considering a plb should also compare the ACR MicroFix to the SPOT. Big difference in the two. Good thing about the SPOT, it is cheap. But you have to pay a yearly fee to keep it working. It does not work as well as the ACR. The ACR will work anywhere, anytime and does not have any "fees". While more expensive, it is atleast a one time expense. I carry one on all my float trips. Great to have. A back up plan for the back up plan. Depending on what part of the state and the type of terrain you are in, the SPOT may be a good alternative. But I would research this heavily before buying.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up good spot

My SPOT has worked well; I like it a lot and have never had a time when I just couldn't get any signal through. Sometimes it takes a bit longer than I'd like (15? 30? minutes).

And the "OK" button is fun to use, all the way to use from marking some location that you want to email to another, to sending real (yet crude) emails to your loved ones wherever you are afield if you have a code set up in advance with them by using this and/or the other non-911 button on the SPOT that sends them emails with a little google map and a "he is here" pin in it.

The tracking feature (another $50/yr, in addition to the $99/yr) is less ready for prime time and will hopefully improve. Plus it just won't keep a signal in a front shirt/coat pocket; it needs more aerial view than that; so how do you use tracking unless you're moving about holding it up high - not going to happen. But it works fantastically sitting on the dash of my truck.

And their next version will likely have better feedback to the user, that is needed. But I wouldn't do without mine and a spare pair of new Lithium AAs.
    SPOT for $150 (plus $99/yr): http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0051330518244a&type=product&cmCat=SEAR CH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=SPOT&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0 &_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DA RGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I think Sportsmans Warehouse is the same price. I got mine on ebay.

Default a bit cheaper

My wife got me the spot about 2 weeks ago for my b-day at REI for 149.95 and still has to fill out the 50$ rebate ( i know REI is usally more) but if you are getting one you might want to check it out (she jsut said she had to order 2weeks out but still)

Walmart was also 150 with 50 dollar rebate......One of the only times my beloved Costco was surprisingly above someone else!

Well, hmmm, I thought I was posting a good deal. Sorry to lead you guys astray.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Well, hmmm, I thought I was posting a good deal. Sorry to lead you guys astray.
    No worries Phish. Keep it up! We all like to find deals!