Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 hmr

Default 17 hmr

hey whats your guys opinions on this round for small game..... have a .22 Lr in a cricket and im a pretty fair shot with this gun. ive had my eye on those marlin 17's and want some opinions... i do taxidermy and keep hides on what i kill along with eating the edible ones i dont kill anything just for the heck of it... but i want to know the damage it does is it too damaging of a round on ptarmigan and bunnies i love eating both... let me know what you guys think
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Default let you know

I recently bought a Savage 93 in 17HMR. I put a BSA ballistics matched scope on it (don't remember the model). It was cheap, but the image is clear and at 3-12x40mm with a range-graduated elevation knob, it is easy to use and shot really well at the range. The Savage accu-trigger is awesome and I will probably be looking for one in medium to big game calibre in the near future. My one reservation at the range is that the hollow synthetic stock had some reverb. A friend of mine has the same rifle and filled the stock with a heavy latex-based caulk and said it made a great gun perfect. Might give it a shot.
    I'm heading down to Pt McKenzie to try it out on some rabbit.... I'll let you know how it does. With any luck, I'll have some pics to go with the commentary.

I will work as well as a high powered rifle on bunnies and birds. If you hit it in the head then everything is great if you have a tendancy to body shoot then you will blow them apart! The high velocity 17 rounds do some impressive carnage on small game. They are very good for the fox to yote sized animals. I was between the Marlin and the Savage as mentioned above. To me the Savage is just a far better rifle. The mag release is a little lame but the trigger is great for a factory gun. The accuracy is FANTASTIC! I topped mine with a Leupold 3x9 that I had laying around and it is a shooter.

I have the Savage and my brother-in-law has the Marlin. I liked the stock on the Marlin better, but the Savage just felt better to me. They are both tack drivers, but the savage is hard to beat.

like Lujon said the HMR is not meat freindly. It will blow up 1/4 to a half a rabbit! It will ruin at least half a grouse/ptarmigan. Headshots only if your going to use this round.

The good news is that no matter what gun you get in .17hmr it will more than likely be accurate and headshots wont be a problem if you practice your shooting.

And as long as were commenting on our favorites I like my Savage the best too. Its lightweight, excellent trigger and accuracy make it a perfect hunting gun.

I have had 2 marlins, and a converted 10/22 mag in this caliber to compare from. And Go figure the savage is the cheapest.

I have a marlin bolt action .17 I have a 2x7 BSA scope on it, it works really well for me while hunting spruce grouse, headshots are easy from 20 yards. However I have never been rabbit hunting so I don't know how close you can get to them before taking a shot, the .17 will do some damage if hit in the wrong place

Anymore, to preserve meat I'm using subsonic 22LR.
    Pete

I actually just took my Savage .17HMR our hunting today. I have the black synthetic stock and the stainless barrel for it with the BSA sweet 17 scope on it... My only regret is going cheap with the scope because the gun is a TACK DRIVER. If you use the TNT rounds from CCI and headshoot rabbits it actually leaves a mark smaller than the .22 and stinger combo my dad was using. I have some pics and i will post them in the morning!

Oh food for thought. I was thinking that i was blow the rabbits head clean off with the .17hmr but i hit each one right in the eye and it exited out the other eye.... Maybee the tissue in the eye and through the head wasnt enough to completly expand the little bullet and stop it. The rabbits neck was broke into about 10 pieces though. I did shoot one in the back of the neck and it left the throat looking like a quarter with the hornady varmit express round. Really viciouse round but im thinking the FMJ rounds will be a little more friendly on body shot critters. My buddy in oregon ( where i go to school at ) shoots coyotes and foxes with .17hmr and FMJ rounds. I have seen several he shot and there is an entrance smaller than a bb gun wound.

Well im just rambling now. I will post pics tomorow!

Got this one today along with a few more!

Whoops shot at this one while he was running.... Big mistake haha. The meat was fine but cleaning up sludge that used to be guts and other vital organs kind of sucks bad... Good thing i field dress every bunny immediatly after i shoot them.

Dont let me scare you away from the .17 though.... It works great for the snowshoes I got. No meat loss and when shot in the head at close range the little bullet does not even expand and shots to the eye { which are very easy to get with a .17 } dont leave a mark on the pelt.

BowHunter89: I carry a cutting board in my pack and butcher them all the way down to quarters straps and loins on the spot as well. I don't know how many times I have finished quietly butchering a bunny packed up the bag taken 10 steps and flushed another one! I picked up a havel knife that uses a scalpel blade and I am looking forward to trying it out on the bunnies. I am hoping that it speeds up the butchering process and makes it a bit easier to get every bit of the back straps clear of the spine.
    One thing I have added to the bunny kit is set of small dykes. After I peel the hide it is four quick nips and the lucky rabbit feet are out of the way. I also do like I do on moose all four quarters and the straps are clean and packed away before I ever open the bowel!

Default Didn't want to do it...

I didn't want to have to bring this pic out, but I will since you're asking. My buddy thot this bunny with a .17 Savage tack-driver. Does some damage, but as long as you hit where you intent, it seems OK. Bunny was shot Nov 08 with .17 HMR, ballistic tipped bullet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought the .17 HMR would give me more range so I bought one.

Then, I peeled a grouse with it like a banana.

I gave it to my brother in Tok so he could shoot foxes or whatever he shoots at up there.

Too, the ammo is too spendy for small game compared to the .22.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

that was nasty.....

That rabbit cast and blast showed is not ruined by any means though. You still get all the quarters and the backstraps. It does tend to drag some guts out if you hit them anywhere in teh body though. But i am definatly not the squeamish type at all and dont care about the smells and what not most people complain about.... As long as the meat isnt ruined its fine for me.

i shot it, skinned it, and ate it....hind legs, straps and shoulders were all intact....but it sure looked like something blew up inside out..

I have a ruger M77 17hmr that I bought about 5 years ago and is probably my favorite gun to shoot. So far all I have shot with it is ptarmigan and rabbits. You will be impressed with its accuracy as well as power on bigger animals like coyotes. I wouldn't let the fact that it will skin a grouse deter you. Topped with a scope theres no reason you shouldn't be able to shoot the head off at 50yards. Also maybe look at the henry 17hmr lever action. My dad just bought one and I think he may never get it back!!!

The accuracy is what suckered me in for the .17... You can get not only headshots but eyeball shots if you wanted to every single shot. At 100 yards i shoot a 1/4 inch 5 shot groups with FACTORY AMMO. I wouldent be suprised if it could make a small single hole at 100 yards if i was a good enough shot.

My grouse hunting is a bit different here in SE than it is up north.

The roosters are frequently way up in the branches and there are usually little twigs separating the hunter from clean shots.

The .22 goes through the twigs and remains accurate for head and neck - my .17 shattered at the twigs.

It is a great gun no doubt... just better for more open spaces. I was happy to give it to my brother so that he can use it in TOK.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    My grouse hunting is a bit different here in SE than it is up north.

The roosters are frequently way up in the branches and there are usually little twigs separating the hunter from clean shots.

The .22 goes through the twigs and remains accurate for head and neck - my .17 shattered at the twigs.

It is a great gun no doubt... just better for more open spaces. I was happy to give it to my brother so that he can use it in TOK.
    The birds here in south central are the same way contrary to popular belief. Before the birds switch to spruce needles they will roost 30-50' up in birch trees. Most grouse hunter will walk right under whole coveys in the early season and never even know they are there! Not that I am complaining, I know some places where I can sit inside a woodline boardering a burned out swamp and watch 20-30 birds fly in shortly after dawn to roost without moving. I use my Rossi 20g for most of them though since it is close to a neighborhood. I would bet that I am the only one that knows all those birds are there every year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast