Thread: Recommended taxidermists

Default Recommended taxidermists

Just got back from Kodiak and shot 3 bucks. The largest was a 4X5 with one broken tine and 2 nubs. What makes it unusual is that it has paddled antlers like a moose. I caped him out thinking that I'm going to get a shoulder mount since he's so unusual. Can anybody recommend a good taxidermist on the peninsula?

As far as deer numbers, I would have like to have seen this place before the last two hard winters. I saw gobs of deer and hundreds of sets of tracks in the brush down low. Up higher there were good numbers (enough to be picky in which ones to shoot) out feeding in the open grassy areas in the mornings.

Default Best Deer I've Seen...

Mark Higgins in Anchorage. Lots of ANchortown folks give him their deer. GIve him a call 907-878-5578, I think he said he is heading to the KP shortly to hunt wolves give him a call maybe he could meet you. $600 per deer for a shoulder mount done in 6 months whether it's all three or one. PM me for photos of my critters he's done.

Cheers,

GOoch

man i'd send it outa state, deer shoulder mount prices are crazy up here, its actually cheaper to send it to a guy who mounts deer for a living and ship it home than it is to mount here in ak. Some really good deer mounts are done up here, gooch was telling me about his guy, sounded awesome. But dang, i got a deer mount done up here and about turned inside out when i saw the prices....you can get a sheep shoulder mount for almost the same price as a blacktail....whats up with that.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR ,
    Being a retired taxidermist from the South ,After moving up here and seeing the prices like you said.If I'd of charged those back home I could of retired 10 years early ,But that being said up here Over head, supplies ,Rent & Shipping is a killer .Have to average that in. Just to get my bison form up here cost almost as much as the form itself .My studio was over 4,000 Sq ft and I only paid $400 a month and that included utilities. What would that big of building go for up here ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

$400/month, that would get you a heated storage unit or 2.

Prices are pretty crazy up here.

Default Deer mounts

In Soldotna I use Leon Metz. He is located at the Y in Soldotna. Give him a call. 262-8568. He has done a bear, goat, and deer for me and is doing a half body sheep now for me. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his work.

oh i know all about what it costs up here...didn't say guys were makin' a killing, just that its freagin' outrageous on the prices is all.
    i've got two heads in canada i need shipped back, it'll be 1200....ouch
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    man i'd send it outa state, deer shoulder mount prices are crazy up here, its actually cheaper to send it to a guy who mounts deer for a living and ship it home than it is to mount here in ak. Some really good deer mounts are done up here, gooch was telling me about his guy, sounded awesome. But dang, i got a deer mount done up here and about turned inside out when i saw the prices....you can get a sheep shoulder mount for almost the same price as a blacktail....whats up with that.
    wow, and your talking about prices.. I can go to africa again 2 more times and get 28 + animals for less then you charge for a moose hunt or bear. Thats a good way to help out your alaska economy BRWNBER, you think im making a killing your mistaken, im a full time taxidermist that on feb 1st will be moving into my new 4000 sq/ft shop. i'm by no means making a killing or any thing else, just doing what i love to do, just like you are. I have to work like a dog 7 days a week and my wife has a full time job just so we can make it. But neither one of us is complaining. how about i do all your taxidermy for cost and you take me on all the hunts i want for cost. i could care less with the people who are price shoppers, because they usually dont have the money to pay for it when its done anyways.

Merry Christmas.
    Rich

whooaaa rich, hold the horse up a sec!! first off, i don't do moose hunts, so you have no idea what my price is. second of all, i'll turn business away if i don't have what they'r lookin' for, refer them out, even to an outa state guide. i know some crummy resident guides as well.
    NO ONE SAID YOUR MAKIN" A KILLING!! geez two guys have pulled that outa my orginal post...
    you'll do my taxidermy work for cost...and i do a bear hunt for cost? sounds like a win win for you.
    I even complimented some of the guys who do deer up here, but this holiday season some guys musta spent to much time at wall mart shopping with the wife and just failed to read the words i actually wrote. Even said i had a deer mount done up here too didn't i???
    HOLY SMOKES GUYS...LIGHTEN UP draw results will be out in a month get outa the house, shoot something or just go yell in the back yard....

merry Christmas to you to rich...
    Master guide 212

I've had good luck with D & C Expediters in Anchorage. The did my sheep and moose and I am very happy with their work.

http://www.dandcexpediters.com/
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default Hey BRWNBR

I'm with you - we gotta lighten up this forum. Maybe it's because the shortest day of the year is upon us - or something.

This is supposed to be a time of good cheer so -

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    OR WHATEVER is correct. And, yes, I know this is the wrong part of the forum for this.

Phil

whooaaa rich, hold the horse up a sec!! first off, i don't do moose hunts, so you have no idea what my price is. second of all, i'll turn business away if i don't have what they'r lookin' for, refer them out, even to an outa state guide. i know some crummy resident guides as well.
    NO ONE SAID YOUR MAKIN" A KILLING!! geez two guys have pulled that outa my orginal post...
    you'll do my taxidermy work for cost...and i do a bear hunt for cost? sounds like a win win for you.
    I even complimented some of the guys who do deer up here, but this holiday season some guys musta spent to much time at wall mart shopping with the wife and just failed to read the words i actually wrote. Even said i had a deer mount done up here too didn't i???
    HOLY SMOKES GUYS...LIGHTEN UP draw results will be out in a month get outa the house, shoot something or just go yell in the back yard....

merry Christmas to you to rich...
    sorry Jake.. but after you posted this i went back and read what i wrote and i didnt mean to put this on you with the moose hunts...lol.. i misplaced and used a few words out of context and a few words that need to be corrected. it was a post that was ment to say basicially keep the work in alaska and take care of our own.. no one else is going to..

sorry if it sounded harsh on my part... but thats all it did was sounded harsh.. thats not the way i ment it to sound by no means... and i wasnt meaning your prices on hunts, i ment them all in general.

and the part about doing it for cost was not ment we trade cost for cost.. it was a point about no matter what some thing costs you cannot give it away for cost.

happy holidays.
    Rich

no worries rich, my overpriced coffee is always on for ya man!
    Master guide 212

HOLY SMOKES GUYS...LIGHTEN UP draw results will be out in a month
    WHY ? Because when they come out we are going to complain when we did not win

Quote Originally Posted by harterstaxidermy View Post
    I have to work like a dog 7 days a week
    I hear you on that Rich ,That's the only thing I do not miss about running a full time taxidermy shop. While everybody else is out hunting your up to your chin in bear fat
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default costs 4 quality

Wow, an inocent little thread kinda blew up!
    It is expensive to operate a guide service, any guide service.
    It is expensive to run a quality taxidermy studio.
    It is expensive contract a transporter, any transporter. (note recent thread...lost the love)
    Everybody expensive, now you expensive too.

Oh, the thread topic....drive north to Palmer, Woodland Taxidermy, Larry McMurrphy, 907 745-1134

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Pictures?

HomerAdam,

Congrats on the good hunt. Did you throw some pictures up elsewhere on this forum? I'd love to see what you got over here in Kodiak. How far South down the island did you hunt? The winter impact was reportedly the worst up on the North end of the island, but as you travel off the road system, it's fine. I've heard some good reports from friends who traveled and Brwnbr did well too.

Can't help you with Pennisula taxi's. My brother in Anchorage has used a couple over there, and I know one of them did a really nice job on his Dall. I could get the name if you're interested. Over here I have one choice in Kodiak, and he does really nice work. Just have to be patient waiting for him to finish and pay the price. Quite a few friends have taken a different route and sent their work to a taxi in Montana because it was well worth the effort and cost to ship. I like the idea of giving my business to Alaskans......within reason.
    Last edited by HuntKodiak; 12-21-2008 at 11:01. Reason: spelling name wrong

Default pics

I was hunting down in Uyak Bay on the Southwest side. Here are a couple pics.

Here are the 2nd and 3rd bucks. The closest one had already dropped his antlers.

I pulled the largest one out of the freezer. I still need to cape him before sending him to the taxidermists.

A closer view of his non-typical antler

thats a cool antler, oddly enough i've seen alot that have the excat same config to them, thats the widest one i've ever seen, but i've seen alot that have started to web and have th extra front kicker tine coming out and they've all been broke too....weird. great looking deer though!
    Master guide 212

Smile Nice

Homeradam,
    Beautiful deer, sunshine, everything is perfect. Love the pics. This place sure has it's moments......looks like that was one of them. Great job. I'd also put that beauty buck on the wall to cherish the moment and honor that buck for a long time. Thanks for sharing. Best pix I've seen in quite a while.