Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any input on the new Grizz?

Default Any input on the new Grizz?

I am currently considering getting a new Grizzly with power steering. Still not sure if I want the 700 or the new 550 yet. At any rate, I would like to hear the pro's and con's of the new Grizz from folks here in Alaska that use it for hunting. The power steering has been out for a couple of years and I was wondering how it's holding up in our environment. I have read a lot of positive feedback on this rig from folks down south, but I also read a lot of good things about the Can Am that I bought and sold in less than a year (It just wasn't built for hunting in the interior).

Please provide me with ANY information and experience you may have with the new grizzly.

Thanks,
    Shannon

I have a 2007 Grizz 700 EPS and it is the most impressive machine ive ever ridden. My buddies i hunt with have Grizz 660's and Suzuki 700's One has the Polaris 800, All of them like my machine. My Grizz will go anywhere, and has the comfort and ride to go all day. I strongly recommend the Grizz. Bought mine at Polaris Junction in Delta and really like thier customer service. Scott treats his customers right.

Default My brother has one..

and we used it out moose hunting this fall. An flipping beast that is the most comfortable machine I have ever sat on. So impressive that my dad just bought the last 08 that Scott had in Delta. A dream to ride on. The power steering was something else in the tussocks!

I have ridden my buddies ( I have a 660). Power steering and Diff Lock puts that griz in a class of it's own. Amazing. If I were going to buy a new quad it would the 700 Griz.

Thumbs up Grizzly is #1 for me

I love my 2007 700 Grizzly; plow with it in winter too. Got a bum wrist and that was the only ATV on the market with power steering, so I got one on craigslist with 100 miles on it.

I haven't ridden on a great many 4 wheelers, but right now why would I? The Grizzly is a dream. And the PS really does work; put it in 4WD difflok and your biggest downside is a wider turning radius - I don't notice it fighting me, because its not.

Default 550 Grizzly

I bought a new Grizzly 550 with power steering and I am very impressed with the performance of this machine. It rides great and has plenty of power. A family member liked it so much they went and bought themselves one.

Only advice I can give you is to not go in looking for a wheeler based on what everyone tells you. I did that (with the Grizzly) and ended up almost missing out on a machine that simply was more to my liking. I say ride a few that meet your needs and then decide, dont let all the hooplah go to your head.

RTC...just curious, but would like to hear about some of the issues you've had with your Can Am. I also have a Can Am, and haven't had nary a problem, but do like to hear other opinions so I know what to look for...thanks, J

I got an 08 Grizzly EPS in April. Great machine, good ride, good egronomics. Having right shoulder nerve problems the EPS allows me to ride longer with less discomfort. Previous machine was a 97 Polaris SP 500 which always did good by me, but I went for the EPS for the comfort. I have now sold the Polaris and am going to get a Grizzly 550 for my son in April. I was thinking of getting it now for the $69.00 winch deal but my dealer hinted to wait for the spring promo - they expect both the winch and a rebate in the deal. So I'll wait till then.

I also agree with the information in the above post - ride as many machines as you can. Everyone is a little different and you may like another brand.

Default No doubt the Yamaha

is a great machine, but take a look at the Suzuki. Ride them both and make your decision. One machine that feels great to me may not feel as good to the next guy.

Yeah the Yamaha Grizzly is good. But don't make your decision based on what people say. Go test ride them yourself. Because i think for 2009 Suzuki has added powersteering to their Kingquad 750 AXI. If you dont need a 750 they also have a 500 Kingquad with powersteering. I suggest you take a look at the Kingquads also because the Grizzly and the Kingquad are very similar and have the some of the same features and have good reliability. But im sure you wont go wrong if you pick one of these quads. i only here good things about them.

Go here for any information you need on the Grizzly....http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

PM me if you have any additional questions. I can get you on several Grizzlys if you want a real test ride.

Mine is not stock but you are more than welcome to test her out!!!!

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

By the way, I wouldn't own a different quad than the Grizzly 700 with EPS!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lakay93 View Post
    Yeah the Yamaha Grizzly is good. But don't make your decision based on what people say. Go test ride them yourself. Because i think for 2009 Suzuki has added powersteering to their Kingquad 750 AXI. If you dont need a 750 they also have a 500 Kingquad with powersteering. I suggest you take a look at the Kingquads also because the Grizzly and the Kingquad are very similar and have the some of the same features and have good reliability. But im sure you wont go wrong if you pick one of these quads. i only here good things about them.
    Good advice, and for what its worth I chose the 08 750AXI King Quad over the 700 Grizzly even though the King Quad didn't have P/S! (and yes I spent a good bit of time driving both of them) And I went there to buy a Grizzly no questions asked, so that tells you that not all machines fit and feel the same to everyone.

Default Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the great input. I have owned several quads (04 Polaris 400, 05 Polais Sportsman 500, 03 Grizz 660, and an 07 Can Am 500 MAX XT) and ridden a few others. I must admit I don't have any experience with the new King Quads however. I will definetly take a closer look at them now that they have EPS as well. I guess I was just really wondering how the power steering is holding up after being on the market for 3 years now. I know my 660 was a beast to ride with the diff lock and no EPS and that was my biggest complaint about that particular rig. Seems like the EPS has rectified that issue now.

Thanks again for all the input.

Shannon

Default 700 Grizzly

I've been riding quads since 1992 and have owned a number of brands. I have never been happier with a quad than this 700 which I have owned for nearly two years now. I'm no spring chicken and I love the power steering especially when side hilling with loaded racks and pulling a moose trailer behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Good advice, and for what its worth I chose the 08 750AXI King Quad over the 700 Grizzly even though the King Quad didn't have P/S! (and yes I spent a good bit of time driving both of them) And I went there to buy a Grizzly no questions asked, so that tells you that not all machines fit and feel the same to everyone.
    True, Cub.
    Both of those machines are awesome.
    The one way that the yammie shines over the suzi is that yamaha has been making and marketing that griz for quite some time (2002). It has changed from its original 660 platform some, but not by much. It could be said that it is perfected.
    Yamaha pioneered the power steering and seems to lead the way with big bore r&d.
    A guy can't go wrong with either. Griz parts would be more popular and available (used-ebay) if something were needed (damaged plastic, bent rack etc.)

My two pennies worth....

Default Performs great, sounds like a tractor

I like mine also, but I'm not thrilled about the way it sounds. The performance can't be beat, IMO, but the engine has a nasty rattle at low RPMs. I checked everywhere and discovered that this is "normal" (all new Grizzlys sound like that) and it isn't a problem. Some people claim that it goes away when the engine has been broken in. I'm only at about 230 miles, so we can only hope...

Also, if you do buy Yamaha, PM me and I'll let you know what store to avoid due to HORRIBLE customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    I like mine also, but I'm not thrilled about the way it sounds. The performance can't be beat, IMO, but the engine has a nasty rattle at low RPMs.
    Funny you should mention that, as that was something that I noticed right off the bat when I was going around the lot starting up Grizzlies. They told me the same thing,"All Yamahas sound like that". I personally did not like it either, sounds like a chain rattling.

Default What about...

What about the vapor lock/fuel boiling issue I've read about on the Grizz? Has that been a problem for anyone here? Has Yamaha rectified the problem? I want power steering and since Yamaha has been doing it the longest now I figured they'd have the best product on the market. The Zuki has it now, but it's their first year. Also can't find any ride reports/reviews on the new Zuki's. I know one knock against the pre 09 King Quads was the light feeling front end that made the handling feel a bit unstable. Again, I'd ride one myself before taking the internet's word for it. By the way, what's with the white color for the wheelers now? It will cost you more if you want a color other than white on the Zuki because you have to get the limited or the camo model. At least the Yamaha gives you a couple more choices without costing more.

Shannon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast