Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illuminated Reticle?

Default Illuminated Reticle?

Hey guys,

Are Illuminated reticles legal or illegal to hunt with in Alaska?

Thanks in advance!

Default illuminated reticles

From what I have read in the regs..... legal for firearms, illegal for bow

Default illuminated

In the archery certification course which my daughter took a couple of years ago, it was made very clear that no lighting of any sort (pins,etc) is allowed on a bow. It doesn't matter that the light isn't directed toward an animal, it is still illegal.

Artificial light sources are illegal, for example; a device that requires a battery such as a red dot type scope. A lighted retical that is illuminated by gathering natural light without the aid of a power source is legal, for example; a coil of fiber optic exposed to ambient natural light focused to a central aiming point.

An illuminated reticle is legal to hunt with on a firearm.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    Artificial light sources are illegal....
    When they say artificial light sources, I believe they mean something that actually outputs light (i.e. a spotlight). Best bet would be to call ADF&G (and maybe 2-3 offices for confirmation), if you have a question on reg interpretation...

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    Artificial light sources are illegal, for example; a device that requires a battery such as a red dot type scope. A lighted retical that is illuminated by gathering natural light without the aid of a power source is legal, for example; a coil of fiber optic exposed to ambient natural light focused to a central aiming point.
    I do not believe that this is correct, but would be interested in clarification.

Bah , what I posted is incorrect. I was trying to type something coherent before my morning coffee. I deleted what I typed... or so i thought, but somehow it still posted.

Ignore it please

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I do not believe that this is correct, but would be interested in clarification.
    I'll call on monday (if I have time) to try and clarify if no one does before me...

what the regs say is that you can't use a laser sight or electronically enhanced night vision scope and that artificial light may only be used for tracking wounded game. so I don't see how a red-dot scope in illegal.

Sounds reasonable, most folks I talk to in Alaska state that illuminated reticles on firearms are okay.... however I know this is not the case in some states in the lower 48. That's why I posed the question. If anyone hears or has heard from fish and game on this please do post. All input is much appreciated. My primary big game hunting rifle scope is not illuminated, but I am considering an illuminated reticle on a long range varmint rifle I am putting together.

Thanks again.

Default Talked to adf&g

I talked to ADF&G and the State troopers on this issue a couple weeks ago. According to Trooper Cummings in Fairbanks and his boss (not sure who) you cannot use any type of light producing equipment whether it projects it or it is contained completely within the scope. He said you may be able to argue what many of us have interpreted the regs to say, however, he said it would be a long and expensive court battle so don't waste your time. He did say, however, that if you remove and do not carry the battery with you, you may still use the scope as long as it isn't lit. He also noted that if you use an ambient light gathering scope (like the fiber optic type of ACOG) that is legitimate. Hope this helps...

Things are funny. I have talked to F&G and the troopers numerous times in the past year and a half because I wanted a red dot scope. I have been told every time that illuminated reticles are perfectly OKey dokey.
    Have a great holiday everyone!
    Henry Bowman for President

I would go with whatever the Troopers tell you. ADF&G will even tell you that, they did to me. The State Troopers are the ones who enforce the regs, not ADF&G. I have been given different information from both and I always stick to what the Troopers tell me. Another question someone brought to me was if illuminated arrow knocks were illegal, they are not but some people will tell you they are. It states it plainly in the regs.

Yeah, this seems to be a big problem with our regs up here. Just like we do, they interpret the regs for themselves also.

So no tridium sights on a Trijicon or night sights on your handgun if thats the case....

I asked Trooper McMullin in Haines and he said my red dot was legal. Sounds like a judgement call to me.

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    I asked Trooper McMullin in Haines and he said my red dot was legal. Sounds like a judgement call to me.
    typical.... great

Question

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    I talked to ADF&G and the State troopers on this issue a couple weeks ago. According to Trooper Cummings in Fairbanks and his boss (not sure who) you cannot use any type of light producing equipment whether it projects it or it is contained completely within the scope. He said you may be able to argue what many of us have interpreted the regs to say, however, he said it would be a long and expensive court battle so don't waste your time. He did say, however, that if you remove and do not carry the battery with you, you may still use the scope as long as it isn't lit. He also noted that if you use an ambient light gathering scope (like the fiber optic type of ACOG) that is legitimate. Hope this helps...
    .....and I have gotten a different answer on this.....from the same office no less. I was told that "red-dots" were ok........So we still don't know, do we....
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Clear

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    .....and I have gotten a different answer on this.....from the same office no less. I was told that "red-dots" were ok........So we still don't know, do we....
    This may be old, but the question came up in moose camp. The regulations are pretty clear, not on bows, but allowed on rifles. The regulations state: Using a pit, fire, laser sight, electronically-enhanced night vision scope, radio communication, cellular or satellite telephone, artificial salt lick, explosive, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, deer urine, elk urine, or chemicals,

An illuminated reticle is NOT an "electronically-enhanced night vision scope" or "laser sight". It's hard to misinterpret this. An illuminated reticle does not illuminate the game. An illuminated reticle simply makes the reticle more clear for a better and more humane placement of shot on dark fur. When it's dusky, bears and moose make reticles hard to see. Black reticles on black fur make for a bad mix and it's better for the animal to have the shot placement so clearly identified.

this has come up several times on teh forum and i have asked the same question myself, there was a section on here called ask a trooper, but i can't find it now, anyway..... they address that issue and red dot style sights are perfectly legal due to the fact that they do not emit artificial light onto the target. so any lase, spot light or such would fail, but red dot is fully contained and does not really enhance anything other than vision of the aiming point. So, they are ok, if you can find the ask a trooper forum it says it in detail there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast