Thread: Sheefish

Default Sheefish

Anybody on here have good luck with Sheefish? I would like to try my hand this summer as I've never caught or even seen a sheefish.
    Any suggestions on where to start the research?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

What area are you looking into. I've only caught them in the interior and out west. From what I have been told some of the best places to catch them is around kotz. Where I have seen the most caught were out west on the Kuskokwim. I have also seen them around fairbanks. I caught one out of the chatineka a few years back.

If you are interested in a float trip, there are some great options in NW Alaska. PM me if interested.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

In May, they are right outside the door in Kotzebue, and up through Kobuk Lake, and Selawik lake, fishing through the ice, but nice days.
    When Kobuk Rivers ice go's out and you can reach the mouth, shee fishing at any mouth is HOT!!!!! They are following smelts that head up to spawn, and pass Noorvik and Kiana in early June,

In the end of June, beginning of July, Shee Fish are usually in the upper Kobuk, by Ambler and such.

Bring a big spoon, and get big Fish

They are interesting through the ice. I worked in Kotz for six months in 2004. Second day I was there (in April) a guy from the fire department took me out on four wheelers to fish for them through the ice. We pulled up one after the other with hand lines. Being from NC, this was a very unique experience. The cooking was very familiar though, we used a Frydaddy. Cubed them and battered and deep fried. Some of the best fish I ever ate.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default NW Arctic

By far, you will get the biggest Sheefish there. They are very abundant and you can frequently pull 20-30 lbers out of a hole in the ice in the Spring. After break up, the Sheefish will stay around Kotz for a short time before they start making there way up the Kobuk Lake into the rivers. They fight like made during in the fall if you can get up into the Kobuk River, especially around Ambler/Shungnak and Kobuk. They readily bite flies too!!!!

They are quite tasty as well. I like them better than Halibut. AH
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this thread somewhat active until I get on some sheefish. Stranger, your pics and some of your other posts are intriguing. I read where your family goes through a caribou every week and a half. That's a lot of bou.

Yes, we do eat alot of Caribou, "But" there are 9-11 of us living together at any one time...it varies. My youngest son moved to the next village over, and my older on is probly moving his family this way, so hwo knows...~LOL!~

Fishing through the ice IS fun.

I imagine you could sink a Huge flashy fly down there....might try it myself.....

That looks like a happy family. The fishing doesn't look too bad either

Some are complete strangers, just following fish.

In the pic of the wife and her sister, you can see a clump of people that have leapfrogged ahead and must like where they are.
    Its a lot of fun, staying along a channle and filling the sled with fillets.

It's a bit like this;

Wow nice fish.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Guess you don't have to worry too much about having freezer room at that time of year.

Default Kotz

I went up a few years ago with a co-worker from Kotzebue. SHe always told me about the ice fishing for sheefish and I wanted to give it a whirl. I stayed with Annie Mills (she has now passed but I think she was 100 then) and her son Charlie. He took us out on the snow machine and it was THE funnest fishing I have had in ALaska. I caught quite a few of them on the wooden jig poles he had and loved every minute of it. It was the third week of March.

Gooch