Thread: Shed hunting dog?

Default Shed hunting dog?

I just saw a show and it had a segment on people training labs for shed hunting. I was curious if anyone is using a dog for this up here?

Looking around on the web I think this might be the people that were featured.
    http://www.antlerdogs.com/default.as...ookieSupport=1

A breeder friend has sold 2 of her lab pups to folks that trained them to hunt sheds. I don't imagine it would be very difficult to train them to find them.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Boy LuJon, sure glad you posted that link... i was thinking it would be easier to build one then train a dog to hunt one... of course there are few along the highway that have been hunted rather often by their appearance
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Over the years my dogs have brought me sheds while out grouse hunting. But they have also picked up bones as well. Bones and antlers are pretty much the same thing as far as composition.

I just look at my dogs ....pat them on the head and tell them "That thing is too chewy....lets look for something softer."

I agree with wetland, our dogs caught on really quick when out shed hunting. I'll just tell Harley, "go find it"....and he'll find one, stop and begin sniffing it intently. Of course we praise the dickens out of them when one is found but we have many sheds we have kept that the dogs have retrieved for us.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I agree with wetland, our dogs caught on really quick when out shed hunting. I'll just tell Harley, "go find it"....and he'll find one, stop and begin sniffing it intently. Of course we praise the dickens out of them when one is found but we have many sheds we have kept that the dogs have retrieved for us.

Carful Deb, your dogs are big enough to drag back ones still attached to something.... I am sure it won't be happy about it neither......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Good point Vince! I never thought about that..LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Carful Deb, your dogs are big enough to drag back ones still attached to something.... I am sure it won't be happy about it neither......
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Sheep-aholics

Some twenty years ago one of the most dedicated sheep guys I have ever met used his dog to help him find sheep horns and moose antlers. He was a sheep hunter, a sheep guide, a sheep photographer and a horn & antler carver. I was amazed at his ability to find horns and antlers. Everyone was always amazed at the number of springtime horns and sheds he would find.

In a prior lifetime I used to train field trial labs. While talking with this sheep-aholic about labrador retrievers and dog training he told me that his dog was his primary secret to success when it came to locating all those horns and antlers.

About five years after that conversation, my sheep-enthusiast friend died in an airplane accident....looking for horns and sheds from the air in the springtime.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Sheds? I had no idea what you were talking about

Whats a Shed? Feather or fur?
    I think well try it out. I need some decorative items.

The Labs find the best berry bushes. I didn't even know we had raspberrys. They also found currents. I didn't have to train that just find out what they were rooting at.
    For antlers, not much training involved if they'll retrieve anything.

www.alaskadognews.com

Default My Dogs Have

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Carful Deb, your dogs are big enough to drag back ones still attached to something
    I Had Labs in Montana where we lived next to the Forest Service Property. The dogs would drag home all kinds of carcasses and would be on the front lawn. They pulled the neighbors Tagged deer out of the tree and dragged it over to my place.
    Got rid of the Labs and went with a Border Collie. This is just a few of the goodies she would bring home.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Default I've got one

I'm a little late posting on this subject, but I'm an antler hunting fool and did a lot of research on antler dogs. I bought a yellow lab and am training it now to find sheds. It's only 6 months old and I haven't had it out on an official search yet, but soon. I bought the DVD from "Antler Dogs" and it helped me train my dog. They say that they have the best results from yellow labs, more than black or chocolate. They didn't know why, but that's what they said. I read something from another guy that says he can get a dog from the pound and train it and it doesn't matter. I just knew I wanted a lab and it has a good nose and retrieval skills. My only concern is if it will be able to carry or drag those big moose and caribou horns? Hopefully it will bark and alert me if it can't bring it back. Antler hunting is not the same up here as it is in the lower 48. I've found moose antlers that have weighed 20 lbs.

Default seals and voles

I sold a 2 year old lab to a biologist who tracked seals on the ice pack. They ran the dogs crosswind, and when a scent was found, the dog would go to the hole and wait for the handlers.
    Years later, some friends of his took Lil up on the north slope to study voles. They weren't haveing much luck in the live traps. Lil kept eyeing the trap with a vole, so they let her sniff and encouraged her off to find one.
    She came back, and sat down. She would not leave again. They looked closely at her, and noted a tail sticking out of her mouth. They grabbed it, told her to drop, and walllah, a live, but very wet vole.
    They praised her and told her to go look again. She ended up catching way more voles than the live traps did and she never killed one.
    I agree with the others. Seems pretty simple to make it a game and get the dog to like the antlers. I never thought about it much though. Antler soup does not sound that appealing.
    If I were going to do it, I think I might try slipping a piece of hose or foam pipe insulation over an antler instead of using a ball. My dogs don't seem to care what I throw, they just like to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I sold a 2 year old lab to a biologist who tracked seals on the ice pack. They ran the dogs crosswind, and when a scent was found, the dog would go to the hole and wait for the handlers.
    Years later, some friends of his took Lil up on the north slope to study voles. They weren't haveing much luck in the live traps. Lil kept eyeing the trap with a vole, so they let her sniff and encouraged her off to find one.
    She came back, and sat down. She would not leave again. They looked closely at her, and noted a tail sticking out of her mouth. They grabbed it, told her to drop, and walllah, a live, but very wet vole.
    They praised her and told her to go look again. She ended up catching way more voles than the live traps did and she never killed one.
    I agree with the others. Seems pretty simple to make it a game and get the dog to like the antlers. I never thought about it much though. Antler soup does not sound that appealing.
    If I were going to do it, I think I might try slipping a piece of hose or foam pipe insulation over an antler instead of using a ball. My dogs don't seem to care what I throw, they just like to go.

lol that is a funny story reminding me.... when i was a kid dad found a stray husky... she loved catching voles. and bringing them to mom in the kitchen. one day she let 14 young ones loose at once at moms feet....talk about dancing LOL!!!!!

meet on face book here

Default oh my

I bet mom was not a happy camper. That my friend is funny! Way funny!
    From sheds to voles to dancing moms. I got more vole stories but for the thread won't start. Besides, no dogs involved, just damsels on pool tables.
    I wonder how far a dog would have to go to find moose sheds around here?