Thread: hire a captain ?

Default hire a captain ?

hi again!...the wife and i are planning on "stepping" up either this year or next to a approx 28 footer welded aluminun boat!...glacier craft/lifetimer/kingfisher/eaglecraft are all in the running right now, but my question is;
    IF i pick the glacier craft, are there captains around that would take it down the coast to Prince Rupert?...i would be on board of course, learn on the way?(fishing rods etc).....can anyone point me in the right direction as to were to inquire?...thanks larry

I am going the other way with a boat (31' Seawolf) and I have decided to run it from Seattle to Juneau, and then put it on the trailer from their to Whittier and use the Ferry. It will cost me about $2500 to do this leg, and in my case another $2000 or so to get the trailer from Seattle to Juneau. It seems like in all ports there are businesses that will load your boat for a small fee (like $40/hr) so you don't need a truck there. The run between Juneau and Whittier is wide open. Commercial fishermen do it all the time, but there are also times when the seas get huge out there, so I decided against that leg.

Jim

Default Here is good forum

There are alot of good posts about the inside passage and good info available here. Also a good chance to find someone to Captain your craft for you.

http://www.boatered.com/forum/

Why not run to Haines with the boat. Even there you can drive a trailer to port and then Ferry load to Whittier or road cross it back to Alaska. Just a thought.........

Default The rest of the story

I tried to go back to see if I could find my paperwork when I considered ferrying over to Kodiak but no luck but here is some of the background I remember.

The $40 an hour sling loads your boat to your trailer. Then you have to hire a transport company to secure your boat and trailer and then load it on and off the ferry.

The reason I looked at it was my truck and trailer combined was to long(Crew cab truck with a 28' boat plus additional tongue length) to be able to load and unload myself, which then requires Longshoreman assistance. The other thing to consider is tide timing. Should be ok with the ports you selected but low tides need to be considered.

Are you caught up in the 150% charge for being over 9.5 wide?

It must come pretty close to an even split between ferrying the whole way versus the split trip.

Dupont,

I assume your question is referring to my post about Juneau to Whittier. The reason I chose Juneau instead of Haines is that we have an office in Juneau, so I have access to a truck to use there, as well as friends to help out with any issues. My assumption is that if I miss the Whittier ferry for some reason, it will be pretty easy to get on the one to Haines, and then I can meet the ferry with my truck and drive it up the highway, although I really do not want to do this.

As for the ferry charges, yes I am paying the wide load fee, but only for the section from Juneau to Whittier, since it will be trailer only from Bellingham to Juneau. The comment about $40/hr loading fee was based on the company that will be loading the trailer for me in Bellingham. I agree that it may be more here in AK to hire a company to do this.

There is a little savings on the trip I am doing by not having the boat on the trailer from Bellingham to Juneau because I am a few feet shorter and not a wide load, but the real reason that I am doing this is for the experience of running up the inside passage.

I would think that it would be equally good for BCRiverRunner to do it the other way and use the ferrry to Juneau or Haines, and then experience the inside passage the rest of the way home.

Jim

thanks for the info and link Depont!!...have alot of reading to do!!

Jrogers!!!..thanks for making my life more complicated!!...thanks a lot!!!!!
    .just had a look at the seawolf boat!.i think i am in love with the 28 footer!!..just wrote the company about that same boat with twin 150's!!!....would love to pick your brain via email(hint hint),,,thanks again for all the info!.....i have alot of home work to do!!...larry

Larry,

I will send you a PM with my Email address in it. I was just down at Seawolf recently, and they finished a 26' for a guy and it looked huge. They set it up with a single 350HP Yamaha plus a kicker.

Be warned though, they are not cheap!

Jim

Default Going South

If you plan to get a Glacier craft and take it south I think you will find the trip not that intimadating once you start looking at it it detail.
    All the brands you mention are great , have you look at the used eagle crafts and silver streaks? Exchange maybe a bit of a concern?
    I went through this a little over ayear ago and found I could not beat Northwest aluminumcraft for the price. They are made on southern van isle and are priced well.
    A friend of mine just built a 28 with twin 300s for 165K
    I built a 26 with a diesel for 120k (trailer included) and did some of the finishing myself.
    I have attached a pic of each
    Email me if these styles interest you.

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images