Thread: Beluga River

Default Beluga River

Anyone ever taken a boat UP the Beluga River? What about the creek that feeds into upper Beluga Lake from the north? Is that navigable with anything?

Just wondering about access points to the Alaska Range foothills from the area.

From the inlet you can go in just up to the foothills(about 8 miles).
    Then there is a gorge with raging water.
    Looks fast, even from an airplane.

Default Gorge

The gorge is do-able just pick decent water conditions. Enough water to run it but not so much that it gets out of hand. You need a shallow running powerful boat. I wouldn't want anything too heavy cause you do have to come back down and it has pretty decent gradient.

Hope that helps

Anyone have pics or video of the gorge?

Whats the name of the creek that feeds into upper Beluga Lake from the north?

Any fish in there? Is it navigable to go upstream from the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Whats the name of the creek that feeds into upper Beluga Lake from the north?

Any fish in there? Is it navigable to go upstream from the lake?
    I believe the creek in question is Coal Creek, but I am not certain. Lots of boulders. It looks doable from the air. Absolutely no fish there.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Wink The Canyon

I just spent an hour looking for a past post of mine, searching this site is like driving in Anchorage, you'll get there, but your tongue might get bit.

I've run parts of the Beluga for 25 years in various sizes and makes of vessels. I have not gotten to the lake yet. The closest I got was to the top of the canyon at the top of the rapids. The bow of the boat was actually cresting the smooth water on top. Then the current sucked me towards the head roller and it stood way over my head. It must have been 8' tall. I was running the back eddies of the rapids while trying to avoid the coal seams that jut perpendicular to the bank. You can't dodge 'em by much as the current will catch you.
    That time as I was getting sucked into the rollers (which would have been certain death, there are NO banks in the canyon and the water is huge.) I spun the wheel and down thru the crap we went. I managed to stay out of the rollers and ended up getting spit out in the smooth water below.
    The dog jumped ship as soon as the spinning and banging stopped. He has never left me before. I hit the beach too, let's catch our breath and thank God we made it.
    Part of the problem is the river is so shallow well below the canyon and larger boats can't make enough water. If the shallows are deep enough you know the canyon is going to turn your stomach just to look at it. But I always do go and have a look.
    Guys do get up there, but everything has to be right and you are a long ways from help.
    Most years the bridge gets clogged with logs and is impassable. Luckily the beach we launch from is above the log jam. Freeman clears the logs, but if they get too thick they stay.

To me the canyon is like an angry ocean, I can't not go look at it. Been up there dozens of times. Maybe gave it a shot less than 10. Have yet to get to the top. I am running an older Hewes RiverRunner, 16' with a 75 horse Evinrude jet. It's light enough to horse off the gravel bars that I will get on. Then again the current plays hell with it and that canyon is raging power.

If you have the right boat, the water is right and your living right, you can make it. Then you get to come back down that SOB and that is worse than going up.

There is a dirt strip at Coal Creek...lots easier and probably cheaper.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I just spent an hour looking for a past post of mine, searching this site is like driving in Anchorage, you'll get there, but your tongue might get bit.

I've run parts of the Beluga for 25 years in various sizes and makes of vessels. I have not gotten to the lake yet. The closest I got was to the top of the canyon at the top of the rapids. The bow of the boat was actually cresting the smooth water on top. Then the current sucked me towards the head roller and it stood way over my head. It must have been 8' tall. I was running the back eddies of the rapids while trying to avoid the coal seams that jut perpendicular to the bank. You can't dodge 'em by much as the current will catch you.
    That time as I was getting sucked into the rollers (which would have been certain death, there are NO banks in the canyon and the water is huge.) I spun the wheel and down thru the crap we went. I managed to stay out of the rollers and ended up getting spit out in the smooth water below.
    The dog jumped ship as soon as the spinning and banging stopped. He has never left me before. I hit the beach too, let's catch our breath and thank God we made it.
    Part of the problem is the river is so shallow well below the canyon and larger boats can't make enough water. If the shallows are deep enough you know the canyon is going to turn your stomach just to look at it. But I always do go and have a look.
    Guys do get up there, but everything has to be right and you are a long ways from help.
    Most years the bridge gets clogged with logs and is impassable. Luckily the beach we launch from is above the log jam. Freeman clears the logs, but if they get too thick they stay.

To me the canyon is like an angry ocean, I can't not go look at it. Been up there dozens of times. Maybe gave it a shot less than 10. Have yet to get to the top. I am running an older Hewes RiverRunner, 16' with a 75 horse Evinrude jet. It's light enough to horse off the gravel bars that I will get on. Then again the current plays hell with it and that canyon is raging power.

If you have the right boat, the water is right and your living right, you can make it. Then you get to come back down that SOB and that is worse than going up.

There is a dirt strip at Coal Creek...lots easier and probably cheaper.
    Sounds like you need a boat built for the Snake River in Idaho. You know, it sounds like a good rafting trip coming down.....

Hey bull. During the pucker factor ride did anyone take any pics. Not that im going to try to run it but id sure love to see it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I fly to Beluga quite often.
    It's winter,... but I'll take my digital with and snap some shots for you.
    The gorge is right impressive and long.

Hey bullbuster. I recognize your dog. LOL

Spoiled One,
    So what kind of fish are ABSOLUTELY NOT IN THERE? Reds, Silvers, Kings, Rainbows?

Default Baron?

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    Hey bullbuster. I recognize your dog. LOL
    I thought that was you! If anybody knows dogs...

Seeing any moose? I'll fly over with you after the Xmas rush for a look see. Then next spring I'll give you a close up of the canyon!

I have never even thought of a camera on the river, good idea.

The Coal Creek fish are Reds.

The Snake River boats I have been on (more than a few) are too big to get up to the canyon. As far as a float, it is a bit short for the time and money invested to get there. I have floated it in my boat after I tore my lower unit up. The dog liked it.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Kings

Many years ago I fished the last creek on the river just before the lake. We flew in.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/