Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 sheep sealing experiences?...

Question 2006 sheep sealing experiences?...

Its been pretty quiet this year regarding the sheep sealing process. Most can remember that last year had its share of controversy and disappointments.
    It would be nice to hear some personal experiences, it seems as if the system might be working better than in the past. Any comments or problems? Any sheep that didnt fly or should have?
    I had an easy go of it this year. My broomed ram was a pretty easy call, and the bio's seemed to age it right on.
    Any comments on the "new" style tag? I heard one fella had his accidentally drilled in the center and top of the horn. It should be repairable.
    For those who havent seen the tag, I attached a pic. Its essentially a tack-like metal piece that gets pushed into a drilled hole in the horn. Apparently it's to curtail tag switching/manipulation etc.
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-24-2008 at 23:13.

Default no problem

No problems. I was asked where I wanted the plug put in. I guess the only problem I could see if you brought in a less than full curl ram. Seemed to be an easy process.

Default What!

You've gotta be kidding me. Whether it is repairable or not, that is absolutely rediculous that they drill a hole in your horns like that. I would vomit if I had to stand there and watch them do that. That is insane.

I was fortunate enough to shoot a 12 year old ram that was broomed on one side. F+G evaluated that curl by looking through a 5" pvc pipe and deemed the ram 1/4" short of full curl. Had it not met the age requirements, I would have been tagged and would have had to submit my sheep to the troopers who would consider prosecution. There has to be a better system!

It was 12 years old and still only 3/4 curl? Wow...that's some slow growth.

No, that's 1/4 inch short of full curl. Whaat do they do with that pvc pipe? I have to agree with shoot, drilling holes in the horns? There has got to be a better way.

I know this is of little help, more of a bit of info, but Colorado has been sealing bighorns like this for many years,,,and I just hope to have a hole drilled in a set of horns in the coming years, it would mean I'd taken a ram L.o.L

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    No, that's 1/4 inch short of full curl.
    Oops. Misread the post in my hurry to respond. Thanks for the clarification, Bill.

-Brian

man, that's one helluva big hole!!! I had heard about this hole previously and really havent come to grips with it. Is there really a problem with tag switching? Altering horns?

Difference between AK and CO, atleast for now, we don't have the stringent non hunting laws. Meaning we all CAN hunt them, instead of drawing the coveted 2 or 3 tags for a given area.

Default Sheep sealing

They drilled mine on the top. I wasn't real happy with that but it will not be seen when it is mounted and on the wall. Otherwise it was pretty simple. I've taken 2 sheep to the guys in Palmer and always felt good about it.

Finley, The guys from tok are bringing sheep over to the Palmer office. I'm buddies with one of the biologists in that office and it's nice to walk into an office like that and be welcomed with opened arms. Unlike the Fairbanks office.

Default Seal/plug rams

My son and I both scored our first rams on the 10th.. guides did a great job of fleshing, turning lips, ears and whatever else they have to turn.. salted and had both capes ready to travel. While waiting for the shuttle to arrive in Healy, a couple of troopers came in for coffee, so I asked them if they could check out our sheep.. they had the equipt. with 'em, and did so. used a cordless drill and plugged both heads on the back of the curl, against the wall when mounted.. That is the same way the G&F do it in Wyoming.. no surprise to us. A report with pictures will follow as soon as I can get my wife to help get some pix on the 'puter.. Les

I had mine done in Fairbanks. It was quick and easy. 8 1/2 year old ram. Broomed on one side and its very easy to see thats its over full curl on the other. He took a quick look, took a couple measurements, and then asked me where I wanted the seal.

Default plug/tags

[quote=TradBow;28292]man, that's one helluva big hole!!! I had heard about this hole previously and really havent come to grips with it. Is there really a problem with tag switching? Altering horns?

Thats a good question, Dan. I donno the extent of the tag hijinks, but I have a hard time thinking it is that widespread. I really can't say though.
    I didnt know that western states used the plug system until I read these posts.
    And I have to agree, Shoot2, when that guy came to my sheep with his drill I wasnt happy. Mine was the first sealed in Fbks with the new process and the bio was practicing on spare horns when I came in. He asked me for input on where I wanted it and he did a decent job of it.

fk

Default The drilling a hole in it is just retarded.

I still can't get over this. The perfection of your mount is blemished for life with a hole drilled in it and a fake plug put in. I don't care if you can't see it or not when it's mounted, the fact that it is there would bother me forever.

Switching/altering of horns? Come on, any biologist/trooper/law enforcement could see that was done...getting the horns off the cores isn't exactly easy...especially when they are fresh. Do people take old horns from legal rams and put them on cores of a fresh skull plate (with illegal curls) and get away with it? Is that the reasoning for it? It just doesn't make sense. You can't tell me there isn't a different way.

Default drilling plugs

done the same way in Montana...plug/tag is never seen from a mount. Relax Shoot2kill...you have to shoot a ram before you can complain about how they are sealed.

Frank,

I was surprised to see the plug on the side of the horn. All of them I have seen have been on the top, rear portion. That is the way they were plugging in Anchorage. I'm sure with the first few sets of horns there was a learning curve. Glad the sealer let you have some input.

Shoot2kill,

I don't believe the problem was switching horns, rather it was taking a green tag from a legal, sealed sheep and moving it to a sublegal, non-sealed sheep that would have been red tagged. I'm not sure if this was much of a problem, or was just suspected of occuring. The metal plug method is used in at least three western states and is a well accepted method.

Overall I feel that the quality of rams we are seeing has improved since sheep sealing began in 2004.

Default Whatever..

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Anchorage View Post
    done the same way in Montana...plug/tag is never seen from a mount. Relax Shoot2kill...you have to shoot a ram before you can complain about how they are sealed.

The problem with it never being seen isn't the issue.

Sorry oh great sheep hunter.

Default Don't see the problem

I guess I don't see the problem. I have no problem with the plug. I guess it is just the persons preference on what they like/don't like. I am glad they went to the plug versus the tag. That was a joke at best! I just don't see how it "ruins" the trophy at all. JMO

Default sealing

Got my first ram sealed in Fairbanks. Not a great experience for me. Had trouble rounding anybody up who knew what they were doing. Finally found a cop/trooper who apparently went through a couple classes on sealing. He said my ram just made full curl, although he made it easily. He also looked down that stupid piece of pvc pipe to check it. I asked him about some of these large sheep near 40 inches that never make full curl-----he said one that big will make full curl. On aging my sheep he reported that you don't count the lamb tip , although the regs say you do. He then weighed my meat. I could have given some away, etc, but he still wanted to weigh it. We took every last edible scrap off that ram, and of course ate several pounds out there. He subtracted the amount of days since the kill/avg lbs meat eaten per day, minus the weight of the wax box and told me that I had about the correct amount left. I could have given some away (not that I would have), or eaten more and probably been fined. I asked him how many sheep had been coming in-----he told me he had checked in several and that mine was only the second or third he checked that were "legal." Three of those he took away apparently came from guided hunts as well. Obviously this system is flawed if guides/sheep sealers can't even decide what constitutes a legal ram. God help the rest of us.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast