Thread: 597 in 17 hmr

Default 597 in 17 hmr

Anyone tried one out or have one. I have one in .22 that works great but contemplating one in .17. just wondering how they function with the HMR.

I have a 597 in 17HMR. I bought it several years ago during the buzz when the cartridge came out and was first offered in this model Remington. I bought a brick of the ammo, and I played around with it for awhile, mostly plinking. It shoots pretty accurately, and the rounds have all functioned without failures to feed, go bang and extract. Therefore, on a functional level it does the job. However, the design of the magazines were a hassel to load, e.g., the rounds were hard to keep aligned while loading the magazine. Furthermore, the ammo is expensive compared to 22lr, so it's an expensive plinker, and as far as using it to shoot ptarmies or spruce hens...head shots only because this round will blow-up a bird, it really does.

Just talking about me and my preferences...I wouldn't buy one again. I'm not at all a fan of the 597 design and construction, and I don't have much functional use for the 17HMR. I much prefer my Ruger 10/22 in 22lr.

Thanks, My plan is more for fox. my 204 has a habbit of blowing them up.

Well said...let us know if you take a fox with the 17HMR. I'd like to hear how it worked out. The round is typically offered in hollow points.

I shot a coyote last weekend with my Mini-14 using some Hornady 55 grn FMJ/BT's that I handloaded. The first shot knocked it down, but it quickly got back up so I shot it again to put it down. Both shots went through it, leaving an exit hole the size of my thumb, which I can easily sew-up after I get it back from the tannery.

Good luck to you, sir.

Ive been reading up on the 597 over at rimfirecentral.com. Most of the posts there do not mirror the success that Doc has had with his gun.

I have a freind who has one, and he complains about lots of failure to feed issues.

From what I can tell if you keep the gun CLEAN it functions good.

Doc, We use 17hmrs on Kodiak for foxes. They work great! The longest shot on one was 80 yards. All using the V-max bullet. Virtually no pelt damage but massive internal damage.

One fox was hit in the front leg, that bullet broke the leg and took a good tear of hide out of the leg. The rest of the bullet went up in the lungs.

Thumbs down I had one

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    Anyone tried one out or have one. I have one in .22 that works great but contemplating one in .17. just wondering how they function with the HMR.
    I had one a couple of years ago and thought it was cheaply made/ designed. tough to take apart and give a good cleaning. I wouldn't recommend it.

Default CZ

Take a look at the CZ 452. I have had mine for almost 5 years now, and absolutely love it. It will shoot 5 shot groups at 50 yards that you can cover with a dime. They are pretty comparable to the Remingtons in price too.

Jake

Hey Matt...good to hear from you on this and thanks for the field report on fox with the 17HMR. Kodiak fox can be pretty tough raskels. I shot one with a 30-06 during a deer hunt near Old Harbor a few years ago, but that's another story. Their hides are absolutely beautiful...especially the cross foxes.

Guys, I hope I made it clear that I am not a fan of the 597. I would not buy one again in any caliber, and I don't recommend it at all. I mentioned before that I don't care for the design and construction...saying it another way, it's a cheap rifle and it shows. I've not shot mine for a half dozen years or so, but when I did, it worked. It might be because I do keep my firearms clean...even the cheap ones. ("Once a Marine, always a Marine").

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Hey Matt...good to hear from you on this and thanks for the field report on fox with the 17HMR. Kodiak fox can be pretty tough raskels. I shot one with a 30-06 during a deer hunt near Old Harbor a few years ago, but that's another story. Their hides are absolutely beautiful...especially the cross foxes.

Guys, I hope I made it clear that I am not a fan of the 597. I would not buy one again in any caliber, and I don't recommend it at all. I mentioned before that I don't care for the design and construction...saying it another way, it's a cheap rifle and it shows. I've not shot mine for a half dozen years or so, but when I did, it worked. It might be because I do keep my firearms clean...even the cheap ones. ("Once a Marine, always a Marine").
    Gotta say I love mine in .22, tack driver and always fires. but then again I also like the 742. They did have a magazine problem but third generation fixed that. I was just wondering about them in 17. specifically the 597 magnum.

Default My apologies...

No offense intended askpecialus...my apologies if I was disrespectful towards your rifle choice. Sometimes I get carried away with my comments. Good hunting to you sir, and I hope to meet you some day in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No offense intended askpecialus...my apologies if I was disrespectful towards your rifle choice. Sometimes I get carried away with my comments. Good hunting to you sir, and I hope to meet you some day in the field.
    None taken, my skin is a whole lot thicker than that Everyone has their preferences and experiences with different firearms,remingtons, savages,brownings, mossbergs benelli's whatever.

The biggest problem with any semiauto 17 is in the blowback action and the bottleneck shape of the cartridge. Lots of good technical info again over at rimfirecentral.com

Thats why only a couple of makers offer them in this configuration. And note how both makers charge 700 plus for one of these beuties! Not sure how they figured it out and why ruger and remington cant. Maybe with that extra money spent on a volquartsen your paying for better tolerances or who knows what to get that .17 to cycle right.