Thread: swimmer but not jumper

Default swimmer but not jumper

I was reading the thread about the yellow lab not swimming and it dawned on me that you guys and gals might have a little insight on a problem I've been having.

Riley is a 2 year old 1/2 black lab 1/2 border collie. He loves the water, will swim all day long. He is extremely smart, extremely well behaved. He is not gun shy. Here's the problem;
    As much as he loves the water he won't jump in! I think he fell out of the boat when he was a puppy and got saltwater in his nose or something. If he is on the dock or in the boat he won't jump in! On the boat he sticks his feet in, and holds his head up as high as possible and beaver slides in on his belly. On the dock he will run all the way back to shore and swim out as far as necessary, and then back to shore, then back up the dock to me. I have been considering seriously training him for ducks.
    Any ideas?? I realize this isn't a major problem.... buuut.. its odd and I'd like to break him of this fear if possible. Now taking suggestions to fix neurotic dog..

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default getting in the water

I have two non-water dogs that I'm going to try this summer. The hesitancy is kind of a puppy thing. We saw it with a lot of dogs that tried DockDog last summer. They dont' get the concept of depth. Try running water as in they can run through it. (not flowing water) We'll have a lot of puddles in the spring and they warm up fast. Put your boots on and have fun getting them through the water. Then work towards a deeper and deeper pond from the shore. Wind them up to jump from the shoreline with confidence by backing up from the water's edge. Knik Lake was great for that and entertaining for the locals.

If you find a dock try the lowest ones. There is one at Lake Lucille Park just a few inches off of the water. Best to have a pick up dog to pick up the bumper if yours does not. If the dog starts going off of that one you can run over to Best Western and use their dock. There the dog can exit to the shore and does not have to try to climb the dock. Much easier. That whole boat thing maybe just to much for her right now.
    Always make sure the water is warm enough and they do not get uncomforably cold. Stop before they want to, leaving them wanting more.

If you get the dog going be sure to watch for DockDog events in Mat-Su this summer. Most fun you can have with a wet dog. Our special Lab Molly jumped 20 ft last summer and she isn't even fond of retrieving.

www.alaskadognews.com

Oh crap. 20 ft.... You found something she excels at.
    Wow !!! Quite the jumper.
    Guess I'll have to put springs on my dogs legs for this year.

Thanks Linda.
    I think you're right, the depth thing is what gets him. I just find it weird how he won't enter water unless he can touch the bottom. He swims in deep water. He is just like a little kid who is afraid to get his face wet... It's quite comical, but I refrain from laughing at him-he gets really sulky and pouty when people laugh at him. Thanks again for the tips!!

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Jumper from Wetlands Retrievers.

Yes Baron thats your rescue Mocha Molly! The dog that someone left at the shelter, didn't want her. It was just like winning a field trial - seriously.
    Now she is retrieving birds again and finally picked up the pigeons you sold me. We shot them on Thanksgiving for her and Lucy. Molly was the only dog I had to bribe to retrieve with treats but it worked. So what?

Check out the DockDog slide video at http://alaskadognews.com/canineslidevideos.aspx

You'll see some dogs putting on the breaks and some dogs flying. Baron is in it too.

www.alaskadognews.com