Thread: cruddy cases

Default cruddy cases

Something I haven't come across before: I bought a batch of once fired military .223 brass online and a number of them have a dark brown stain on them, with what looks kind of like rust on them. Now, I know what brass corrosion looks like and this isn't it. Might be from what they were stored in or what they lay on. Anyhow, extensive tumbling didn't remove it and some RCBS liquid case cleaner didn't either. Even rubbing with steel wool didn't get rid of it. Must be deep into the metal. Anyone come across this stuff and did you find a cure? Thanks

I have had 30-06 and 7.62 NATO (.308) brass that had been in steel link belts for years before I got them cheep. They had stains and I was gonna tumble them off, but like yours it would not come off. I loaded them and they were fine but ugly so I kinda forgot to pick them up for another loading.

Andy

Default belt link stains

This makes sense. The placement of the stains would back up that idea. Maybe I'll just clean them up as much as possible and use them. Just like my cases clean. Thanks

Default clean cases

If you really want your cases clean use an ultrasonic cleaner - you won't believe all the grit, dirt, and crap that remains in tumbled cases. An ultrasonic cleaner will also clean out the primer pocket and flash hole and leave the cases in like new condition.

Anyone seriously into shooting relaoding should have one. I use mine on cases, guns, reloading dies, and all sorts of things that I really want to CLEAN.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    This makes sense. The placement of the stains would back up that idea. Maybe I'll just clean them up as much as possible and use them. Just like my cases clean. Thanks
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I've recently cleaned some brass by soaking it in water with a little Dawn dish soap and some vinegar. 1/2 hour does wonders, then a rinse and soak for another 1/2 hour with baking soda to neutralize the vinegar. This was an experiment more than anything since I recently acquired a couple 5 gallon buckets full of mixed caliber handgun and 223 brass. Cheap but effective. Probably not near as good as the ultrasonic but it works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I've recently cleaned some brass by soaking it in water with a little Dawn dish soap and some vinegar. 1/2 hour does wonders, then a rinse and soak for another 1/2 hour with baking soda to neutralize the vinegar. This was an experiment more than anything since I recently acquired a couple 5 gallon buckets full of mixed caliber handgun and 223 brass. Cheap but effective. Probably not near as good as the ultrasonic but it works pretty good.
    I have done that with car parts but it never crossed my mind for brass. I will need to try that one.

Andy

Default Watch out for ammonia

Be extremely arefull that anything you clean your cases with does not contain any ammonia or ammonia salts lile ammonium sulfates. Unfortunately for relaoders ammonia compounds are very common in cleaning compounds and work very well on cleaning up brass.

The cases will look fine but will eventually get hard and stress crack. Like mercuruy, ammonia and brass cases just don't go together!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK