Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: 30.06 vs wolves

  1. #1

    Default 30.06 vs wolves

    Looking into getting a wolf pelt. Is the 30.06 too big for a hunt? i don't want to damage the pelt too much.

  2. #2
    Member akshootnscoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    314

    Default

    There are several options for smaller rounds for the 30-.06. I've seen 55 grain and 120 grain at sportsman's. I don't know what they have now as it was a few months ago. I haven't looked into the ballistics too deeply, but it might be worth checking out

  3. #3
    Member stevelyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    I'd say a 150 gr bullet from an '06 would punch through without tearing it up much.
    Now what ?

  4. #4
    Mark
    Guest

    Default 30.06 vs wolves

    The '06 will win every time.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    Lake City milsurp, through an 1917.

    Wolves are thin bodied, and the bullet pretty much punches two small holes. Even a Keyhole dosnt do much damage, and a few stiches will usually fix things.
    I try to shoot them in the chest.
    .22Mag is SWEET on fur, I must say.
    I was close to home and didnt skin them right away, the result was the blood of top one smeared on the others under it in the sled...
    washed off when we worked the skins.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Lake City milsurp, through an 1917.

    Wolves are thin bodied, and the bullet pretty much punches two small holes. Even a Keyhole dosnt do much damage, and a few stiches will usually fix things.
    I try to shoot them in the chest.
    .22Mag is SWEET on fur, I must say.
    I was close to home and didnt skin them right away, the result was the blood of top one smeared on the others under it in the sled...
    washed off when we worked the skins.
    Are you Mr. Edward H.S.? family? friend?... or maybe just a guy who borrowed some pic's... anyway thank you for the link to the pic's that showed me how mankind was meant to live (on cabins/remote living forum)
    Last edited by need2leave; 12-19-2008 at 21:43. Reason: add link

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    ~LOL!~Yep, dad named me Edward, but friends call me "Chip"~LOL!~

    I took most of the pix myself, I just have a busted camera, and recently aquired Internet access, so give me a bit of time, and have new "stuffs"

  8. #8

    Default Cool

    You live a beautiful life... place, lifestyle, tradition, family... the whole 9. That's how it was meant to be for sure.

    Wanna trade places???
    Last edited by need2leave; 12-19-2008 at 22:13. Reason: cuz

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    ~LOL!~

    Trade?

    Naaaaaaa.......not even if you were a Billionair Porn Star

    You can always show up...

  10. #10

    Default

    Shot them with a 270 130grain. Little bigger hole than the FMJ 223. Still repairable.

  11. #11
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    You used to be able to get .22's in a plastic sabot (sp?) in .308 and 30-06 rounds from Winchester. I used some in a .308 for coon and coyote in Texas years ago. They were good for about 300 yards out but not the kind of precision you get from a true varmint gun like a .223 or 22-250.

    Your 30-06 will do just fine with a 150 grain JSP round and not do much damage. The main advantage to a varmint gun is the flat trajectory they give allows for far less calculating the drop over distance on a 300 or 400 yard shot.

    Andy

  12. #12
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Shot them with a 270 130grain. Little bigger hole than the FMJ 223. Still repairable.
    Is FMJ legal to hunt with in Alaska? That would be news to me!

    Andy

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    foothills of the Brooks Range
    Posts
    638

    Default

    I took out a nice blue on the run with my M1 Garand - easy to sew up.

  14. #14
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    I took out a nice blue on the run with my M1 Garand - easy to sew up.
    M1 Garand!



    I want one from Santa!



    To go with the one I have
    Nothing is more fun than rocking through 30-06 with an M1 till it spits out the clip, is there? CHING!!

    Andy

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    foothills of the Brooks Range
    Posts
    638

    Default

    on the heavy side but "rockin" is the right term and even the "ching" is a cool factor.

    merry christmas.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I think the 30- 06 is a true all around caliber. I don't think it would do too much damage to the pelts.

  17. #17

    Default 30-06 vs wolves

    Most certainly enough gun. Wolves are easy to knock down., I'd suggest a 150-180 shallow expanding bullet, as close to solid as posible, that will just go right thru if you hit the lung area. Wouldn't go for the shoulder as the exit may be a tad on the big side, unless you use a solid. If you handload Berger offers several "match" bullets but first check your regulations as to the type of bullets allowed within the laws.

  18. #18
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
    Most certainly enough gun. Wolves are easy to knock down., I'd suggest a 150-180 shallow expanding bullet, as close to solid as posible, that will just go right thru if you hit the lung area. Wouldn't go for the shoulder as the exit may be a tad on the big side, unless you use a solid. If you handload Berger offers several "match" bullets but first check your regulations as to the type of bullets allowed within the laws.
    You bring a good point on legal bullet. I have read on here of some using FMJ (full medial jacket) on predators here in Alaska. I have not looked in the Alaska regs for this but I know they are not legal in most states for hunting. I had just assumed they were a no go here also. I know they are mandated for war by the Geneva Convention as they do less damage, or did before the 223 came in any way.

    So what is Alaska law on hunting with FMJ ammo?

    Andy

  19. #19
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    If memory serves me, they sell 110 gr 06'. I have used these on ground hogs. They tend to cream puff at 200 yards.

    Ron

  20. #20
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    If memory serves me, they sell 110 gr 06'. I have used these on ground hogs. They tend to cream puff at 200 yards.

    Ron
    Yup, 110 and also 100 grain 30-06, then going down more with .223" 50 or 55 (?)grain and 60 grain in a sabot can be had.

    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •