Thread: My Christmas gift to the rest of the board....

Default My Christmas gift to the rest of the board....

http://www.nasbla.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

This was a very compelling video to watch. Really made me think because I am personally HORRIBLE about wearing my PFD.

Everyone who spends time on the water should watch this.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Excellent

Thank you Francis... and Merry Christmas to you.

OK. so the temperature of the Kenai in June and early July is around 45-50 degrees. Fits exactly within the model presented. Then you add the problem of staying afloat, keeping your head above water in flowing water, avoiding rocks, logs, other boats... It adds a totally different perspective and complication...

I am guilty as the next... so why? Is it uncool? Inconvenient? Uncomfortable? Hmmmm....

Excellent video, I would love to take the course.

Default Doc's Christmas Gift

Thanks Doc for the great reminder. If it saves just one person much will have been accomplished.
    Last May I decided my 15+ year old Mustang coat may not be seen as it was soo faded. Sure the cost to replace was high. Cheap though when you consider what I could lose. My wife of 45 years, my 3 daughters and their husbands and last but certainly not least my beautiful 10 grandchildren. I'll try to post a picture of the old and the new.

Default Doc's Christmas Gift

Trying to post my pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default OK now for the new Jacket

a merry christmas everyone and a safe new year.

Default Nice post

FishNphysician,
    Great post, I passed it along to friends and family to watch also.
    We picked up a couple mustang suits since we spend alot of time out of Whittier. Hope I never have to put one on other than practicing.
    I've gone through the cold water/helicopter ditch school out of Kenai and it's not fun. Especially buckled in a helo upside down and dark under water, uuugghhh!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Thanks Doc for the great reminder. If it saves just one person much will have been accomplished.
    Last May I decided my 15+ year old Mustang coat may not be seen as it was soo faded. Sure the cost to replace was high. Cheap though when you consider what I could lose. My wife of 45 years, my 3 daughters and their husbands and last but certainly not least my beautiful 10 grandchildren. I'll try to post a picture of the old and the new.

I replaced mine last year as well...it was a hand me down jacket from my Dad and I started to question whether or not it would actually float me. The new ones are expensive but worth every penny.

Personally I get much more use out of my inflatable PFD than I ever did a traditional life vest...and the one I own is probably pushing 10 years old - the newer units are much more comfortable and equipped with much smarter deployment systems.

I do need to buy a float coat for colder weather trips...

Default Wow!

Really got me thinking! I've got a "float" coat from my gillnetting days (I think it's a Stormy Seas) with a CO2 cartridge. Haven't "fired" it in years, but will the next time I'm up there. So guys, besides the Mustang & Stormy Seas coats, do you have any other favorites that are minimal in bulk, warm, easy to move around in, & comfortable that you like? I really like my Stormy Seas, but one thing I just thought of: it works only if you pull the chest pocket of the coat to fire the CO2 cartridge; what happens if you cannot do that or are knocked out falling overboard? Seems the Mustang type coats are better?
    Thanks Doc for that link,
    Merry Christmas to everyone,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Thank you Francis... and Merry Christmas to you.

OK. so the temperature of the Kenai in June and early July is around 45-50 degrees. Fits exactly within the model presented. Then you add the problem of staying afloat, keeping your head above water in flowing water, avoiding rocks, logs, other boats... It adds a totally different perspective and complication...

I am guilty as the next... so why? Is it uncool? Inconvenient? Uncomfortable? Hmmmm....

Excellent video, I would love to take the course.
    I never avoided other boats when I fell in the water while rafting. In fact, I did just the opposite and swam to them. But, hey all there was to worry about was getting whacked unconscience by an oar, not all chewed up by a prop. I'm not sure that I would like a boat coming at me with a prop. I always wear my pfd unless I am inside a cabin cruiser. Then, well, that's different.

Big Jim - some of the newer inflatable types have gotten quite a bit smarter

when I bought mine almost ten years ago the choice was the manual rip cord or the automatic inflation. Since the automatic system triggered when a certain piece got wet I was concerned with accidental inflation (getting splashed by a fish or even just a serious rain storm) so I went with the ripcord.

The systems today that seem to be the way to go are the ones that trigger from the pressure of being immersed in a couple feet of water - seems like the perfect deal since it prevents accidental inflation and is still automatic just in case you wang you head on the way out of the boat! (at least if you sink like me, but I guess if you float when you're unconscious it wouldn't work!!)